[Unable to boot] Installing drivers for a nvidia 750TI

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Hornet
Level 1
Level 1

[Unable to boot] Installing drivers for a nvidia 750TI

Post by Hornet »

I'm uncertain of how best to acquire drivers for this card - I know it's quite new and nvidia-current seems to not support it. I gather 334 upwards does, but is there a sensible way to install that without messing around with .run files? I'm always very wary of those and try to avoid them where possible. OS is Mint 16 Cinnamon, 64 bit.

Currently the computer cannot boot (hangs with graphical corruption) unless I use recovery mode, which gets it into software rendering. The previous card was a 4870x2, but unless Mint installed drivers behind my back, I don't believe that I had any specifically installed for it. xorg logs only show recovery mode boots, no failures, and I can't get to a console or indeed do anything when it fails to boot.

As this is a newish installation, I could in theory reinstall, but I'd rather avoid that if possible. Ideally I suppose, I just need to know which particular repo I should be adding to best acquire 334+ drivers, and hopefully things will just work from there. However all I can find about this online is either very specific advice for laptops etc (mostly relating to the empty driver manager), or far too general (eg Debian nvidia driver installation guide, no drivers in 304 will support this card).

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
roblm
Level 15
Level 15

Re: [Unable to boot] Installing drivers for a nvidia 750TI

Post by roblm »

You can try newer drivers from the Ubuntu x-swat PPA or even newer drivers from the xorg-edgers PPA.

To add the x-swat PPA, open Software Sources and click → PPAs → Add a new PPA. Type:
ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates
Click on “OK” or press Enter. Click on → Update the cache. Then check for newer drivers in Driver Manager.
To add the xorg-edgers PPA, repeat the process but type: ppa:xorg-edgers/ppa

If those drivers don't work then download the 334.21 driver from Nvidia's website at this link:
http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverRe ... 3666/en-us

Then follow my installation instructions in my second post in this topic:
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=154932
Hornet
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Hornet »

Hello rob, and thanks for replying.

The older drivers will not work with this card, but I tried anyway; driver manager showed precisely nothing, as it always has.

I followed your instructions absolutely perfectly, but it doesn't work. Exact same nonbooting issue afterwards, the mint logo appears stretched in multiple images across the top of the screen, then the top third of the screen changes to marching white dots. At that point system becomes nonresponsive, even to ctrl+alt+del. Recovery mode will boot it, but performance seems shot. Other operating systems are fine, so this has to be a driver issue of some sort.

I'm more than happy to help you test / debug anything, as it seems most people in that topic, if not all, have had issues installing, and it seems most ultimately failed to do so. Clearly this is a fairly common problem, so you'd be helping a great many people, not just myself.

Cheers.

-----

Update. Manually blacklisted amd76x_edac (this one was already done by default or an installer it seems), vga16fb, nouveau, rivafb, nvidiafb, rivatv, then sudo update-initramfs -u, reboot, and it then works. Seems the installer script doesn't do what it says on the tin. Hope that's of use to you or others.
roblm
Level 15
Level 15

Post by roblm »

Hornet wrote:The older drivers will not work with this card, but I tried anyway; driver manager showed precisely nothing, as it always has.
I followed your instructions absolutely perfectly, but it doesn't work. Exact same nonbooting issue afterwards, the mint logo appears stretched in multiple images across the top of the screen, then the top third of the screen changes to marching white dots. At that point system becomes nonresponsive, even to ctrl+alt+del. Recovery mode will boot it, but performance seems shot. Other operating systems are fine, so this has to be a driver issue of some sort.
I'm not sure what you did. What older driver did you try to install? You said Driver Manager listed nothing. You're correct in saying drivers
older than the 334 driver will not work with your graphics card.

Did you try adding the xorg-edgers PPA?. That should add the Nvidia-334.21 and probably the newest 337.12 driver to Driver Manager.
Try the 334 driver first, but I would install it through the Synaptic Package Manager because it has more success. I was just trying to install
the 337.12 driver myself for testing purposes today and it would not install properly using Driver Manager, but it did install using Synaptic.
Just search for nvidia-334. I also was able to install the 337.21-BETA driver downloaded from Nvidia's website.

When manually installing the Nvidia driver, you should only have to blacklist the nouveau driver.

Edited: It appears that the Nvidia-337.12 driver does not support your graphics card:
http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverRe ... 4859/en-us

Return to “Hardware Support”