no network manager on standard bootup

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Ebere
Level 3
Level 3

no network manager on standard bootup

Post by Ebere »

Let me start with the statement, that this problem started months ago. I was never able to figure out a solution to it, so I gave up and reinstalled on a different hard drive. That hard drive has proven to be a bad hard drive, so i am back to square one, and trying to figure out this problem. LOL

Ok, I have spend hours searching for an answer. Tried many different things. Nothing offered so far, has worked. So I am just going to describe what is happening, and hope there is a ready solution offered.

:D

If I just turn the computer on, and let it boot up normally... (letting grub choose the default)

It gets to a certain point then gives the message: "Waiting for network configuration" Or something similar. I don't remember the exact words.

That takes a little over a minute.

Then if gives the message: "Waiting up to an additional 60 seconds for network configuration".

That message appears and takes at least 5 minutes. (So much for "up to 60 seconds". LOL)

At the end of that 5 minutes it says it is going to resume booting without network configuration.

Once started, there is NO internet.

~~~~~~~

ifconfig shows only loopback info.

nm-applet gets rejected.

service dbus restart gets rejected.

Etc. Nothing works to get network manager up and running. There is no way to connect. Naturally "apt-get" commands are worthless. Etc.

~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~

If I boot differently...

If I choose to make it boot in recovery mode in bootgrub...

Then I choose the option, "Enable Networking"... Let it go through it's thing.

Then choose to resume normal boot...

It still gives the same messages about networking. Still takes just as long to finish booting up. Etc.

But when it finally starts up... I can get online. That is how I am online right now.

~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~

Now can someone explain to me what is actually happening here, and how to fix it?

Obviously my computer is capable of getting online. But just as obviously, something is happening during the bootup process that is making it impossible to get online. And impossible to even start any services that have to do with network management.

Thank you in advance.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do absolutely nothing for him in return." ~Samuel Johnson (1709-1784)
Ebere
Level 3
Level 3

Re: no network manager on standard bootup

Post by Ebere »

Is the question too difficult?

LOL :lol:

"The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do absolutely nothing for him in return." ~Samuel Johnson (1709-1784)
dduran1210
Level 2
Level 2

Post by dduran1210 »

I'm no guru or even a geek...but it sounds to me like you're trying a "wireless" connection? if so, search google for adapters that WORK with linux, cuz i read that most of them DON'T. if you're hardwired to your router...then you may want to reset, check your router. I would suggest you

re-install linuxmint...are you using linuxmint 16 ?

I finally had linuxmint 16 working really good, then i screwed up and tried to set up the firewall...good luck with that crap. lol.
dduran1210
Level 2
Level 2

Post by dduran1210 »

I'm no guru or even a geek...but it sounds to me like you're trying a "wireless" connection? if so, search google for adapters that WORK with linux, cuz i read that most of them DON'T. if you're hardwired to your router...then you may want to reset, check your router. I would suggest you

I finally had linuxmint 16 working really good, then i screwed up and tried to set up the firewall...good luck with that. lol.
Ebere
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Ebere »

dduran1210 wrote:I'm no guru or even a geek...but it sounds to me like you're trying a "wireless" connection? if so, search google for adapters that WORK with linux, cuz i read that most of them DON'T. if you're hardwired to your router...then you may want to reset, check your router. I would suggest you

I finally had linuxmint 16 working really good, then i screwed up and tried to set up the firewall...good luck with that crap. lol.
Thank you for the reply.

It is a wired connection. Modem card in a pci slot. cat5 to the DSL router. Mint 13.

The "onboard LAN" built into the motherboard kakked. Working fine one day. The next day, just gone. So I put in the card, and disabled the onboard lan.

Had this problem ever since. I replaced the card with a brand new one, in case that was the problem. No change.

I decided that maybe the question wasn't too complex, but rather was too easy. I was missing something simple, and no one cared to point that out. So, I stepped back and looked at it logically.

I thought to myself, whatever is happening when I choose 'recover mode', then choose 'enable network', then choose to resume normal boot... Was working. So exactly what is happening at that point in the middle there where I choose 'enable network'?

I rebooted several times and TRIED to catch what was showing on the screen. All I could catch was something to do with dbus, and modemmanager.

I have upgraded everything that was upgradeable to do with the dbus, and I have installed a different modem manager. I'll find out whether this makes any difference, next time I reboot the system.

Again, thank you for the response.

Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

Been dealing with this problem myself today after trying to get a USB TV device to work.

What I did was use Package manager to reinstall 3 network-manager packages that obviously were hit up. I also reinstalled mate applets package. Something worked enough that I could boot and have internet, then clk on the new ethernet and get control then by the panel applet for network manager. It doesn't seem to hold though between reboots. I haven't figured that one out yet.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
Ebere
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Ebere »

I won't change the status on this to "solved" because it was never solved.

But everything I tried only seemed to make things worse.

So I finally installed mint 15, and moved to that, instead.

twinkel

Post by twinkel »

next time if you run into startup issues, run

Code: Select all

dmesg >dmesg.txt
and evaluate or post that, or compare that to the working situation.
It looks like in the faulty situation the network driver is not loaded properly, hence the empty ifconfig (should contain an ethX).
There is no point in running network manager if there is no network card available to the system
littleag

Post by littleag »

I'm having a similar problem on LM16 Mate 32 bit, only I can't get network manager to run in recovery mode. Also didn't try to reinstall packages because I'm offline on that machine. I ran dmesg and got:
libahci: module verification failed: signature and/or required key missing – tainting kernel
I'm new to linux but that sounded pretty bad.
I'm guessing I'll have to reinstall LM. Any other suggestions will be gratefully received.
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

If it exists in your install, you can manually run it from terminal.

Code: Select all

nm-applet& disown& exit
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
Anton-Kappen

Post by Anton-Kappen »

Once I got the same problem after installng another network program (xnetcardcongig). After that it was no longer possible to use the network-manager.
I found a solution:
goto: /etc/network and edit the file: interfaces as sudo.
Delete all lines exept: auto lo
and: iface lo inet loopback
Save the file and reboot.
Hope it helps.
Besides that, uninstall the program that may have caused the problem.

Return to “Networking”