cpufrequtils config file; where is it?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Ubulindy

cpufrequtils config file; where is it?

Post by Ubulindy »

Where in the heck is the config file for the cpufrequtils located? Do I just edit /ect/init.d/cpufrequtils (program) ? If so, this line only indicates 1 cpu and I have 4 with hyperthreading (line 48)So it reflects:
check_governor_avail() {
info="/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq

Do I edit that to read: info="/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpu1/cpu2/cpu3/cpu4/cpu5/cpu6/cpu7/cpufreq So it reflects 8 cpus?
line 44 through 48:
ENABLE="true"
GOVERNOR="ondemand"
MAX_SPEED="0"
MIN_SPEED="0"

Do I set that to read:
MAX_SPEED="2400"
MIN_SPEED="800" ????

I set all this in the terminal using these commands but it didn't persist:
cpufreq-set -c 0 -g ondemand
cpufreq-set -c 1 -g ondemand
cpufreq-set -c 2 -g ondemand
cpufreq-set -c 3 -g ondemand
cpufreq-set -c 4 -g ondemand
cpufreq-set -c 5 -g ondemand
cpufreq-set -c 6 -g ondemand
cpufreq-set -c 7 -g ondemand

Oddly enough inxi reports: Clock Speeds: 1: 800.00 MHz 2: 800.00 MHz 3: 800.00 MHz 4: 800.00 MHz 5: 800.00 MHz 6: 2401.00 MHz 7: 800.00 MHz 8: 800.00 MHz
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Re: cpufrequtils config file; where is it?

Post by austin.texas »

I love your signature line - and here is a graphical representation of that statement.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Political_chart.svg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_ ... dimensions
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
oscarus

Post by oscarus »

I have been trying to figure this one out for a few hours now.
I used the following commands to lower the maximum frequency from 1.73Ghz to 1.6Ghz because my laptop was getting too hot even if I changed the freq scaling governors.

Code: Select all

sudo sh -c 'cpufreq-set -c 0 -u 1.60GHz; cpufreq-set -c 1 -u 1.60GHz; cpufreq-set -c 2 -u 1.60GHz; cpufreq-set -c 3 -u 1.60GHz; cpufreq-set -c 4 -u 1.60GHz; cpufreq-set -c 5 -u 1.60GHz; cpufreq-set -c 6 -u 1.60GHz; cpufreq-set -c 7 -u 1.60GHz'
According to cpufreq-info (and my now quieter fan), the commands worked. I was so happy... until I suspended the machine. Upon resuming, I checked cpufreq-info again only to find that the maximum frequency was reset and back to 1.73ghz.

I changed this on the cpufrequtils file
ENABLE="true"
GOVERNOR="ondemand"
MAX_SPEED="1466000"
MIN_SPEED="933000"

But it only worked on cpu0 (cpu1 through cpu7 are set at 1.73ghz). The maximum frequency on cpu0 persists even after suspending, so I guess I'm on the right path to fixing the thing, but just as OP, I can't figure out how to make the settings permanent accross all cpu's.

I guess I don't have much of an answer, but I just wanted to check with OP to see if he's found something new about this. This is the only instance I've found so far of a description of the same problem I have. If anyone else has some answers, I'd really appreciate any help.
Ubulindy

Post by Ubulindy »

oscarus wrote:I have been trying to figure this one out for a few hours now.
I used the following commands to lower the maximum frequency from 1.73Ghz to 1.6Ghz because my laptop was getting too hot even if I changed the freq scaling governors.

sudo sh -c 'cpufreq-set -c 0 -u 1.60GHz; cpufreq-set -c 1 -u 1.60GHz; cpufreq-set -c 2 -u 1.60GHz; cpufreq-set -c 3 -u 1.60GHz; cpufreq-set -c 4 -u 1.60GHz; cpufreq-set -c 5 -u 1.60GHz; cpufreq-set -c 6 -u 1.60GHz; cpufreq-set -c 7 -u 1.60GHz'
According to cpufreq-info (and my now quieter fan), the commands worked. I was so happy... until I suspended the machine. Upon resuming, I checked cpufreq-info again only to find that the maximum frequency was reset and back to 1.73ghz.

I changed this on the cpufrequtils file
ENABLE="true"
GOVERNOR="ondemand"
MAX_SPEED="1466000"
MIN_SPEED="933000"

But it only worked on cpu0 (cpu1 through cpu7 are set at 1.73ghz). The maximum frequency on cpu0 persists even after suspending, so I guess I'm on the right path to fixing the thing, but just as OP, I can't figure out how to make the settings permanent accross all cpu's.

I guess I don't have much of an answer, but I just wanted to check with OP to see if he's found something new about this. This is the only instance I've found so far of a description of the same problem I have. If anyone else has some answers, I'd really appreciate any help.
Hi,
My settings have persisted, but only one of the CPUs ever changes, CPU6. Mine stays on power saving mode of 800 MHz. Try the settings I left alone, and see if it works:
ENABLE="true"
GOVERNOR="ondemand"
MAX_SPEED="0"
MIN_SPEED="0"

Also I achieved this via command line and not editing the config file directly. Maybe it will work for you as well.
Also, OP is a female, not a male :)
oscarus

Post by oscarus »

Ubulindy wrote: Hi,
My settings have persisted, but only one of the CPUs ever changes, CPU6. Mine stays on power saving mode of 800 MHz. Try the settings I left alone, and see if it works:
ENABLE="true"
GOVERNOR="ondemand"
MAX_SPEED="0"
MIN_SPEED="0"

Also I achieved this via command line and not editing the config file directly. Maybe it will work for you as well.
Also, OP is a female, not a male :)
Oops! sorry about that!

So, what exactly did you end up doing? Was the governor the only thing you wanted to change? I think "ondemand" was already my default, but the thing I want to change (which led to me editing that script) is the max freq to kinda recreate the setting windows has where you can set the maximum processing power the system can use. I thought I had the answer with the commands I listed, but their lack of persistence has now become the bane of my existence! I want to keep looking, but all my links on google are already purple haha!
Ubulindy

Post by Ubulindy »

Sec, Im trying to find a really old forum link I had used. I had also disabled powersave settings via cli. Maybe that's what finally made the settings persist? Trying to find the link. Sorry, Ive looked and looked and I cant find that old forum thread. It was an old Ubuntu forum, think was ubuntu 8.04 or something like that. But I followed what it said and it worked. Damnit wish I could find the link... sorry. I did however just find this:
For more information about governors, read cpu-drivers.txt (available in /usr/share/doc/linux-doc-2.6.32/Documentation/cpu-freq/ from the package linux-doc-2.6, you can read the latest version from kernel.org).

GOVERNOR variable from /etc/default/cpufrequtils not taking effect:
So, you configured the GOVERNOR variable in /etc/default/cpufrequtils and after reboot you notice by running cpufreq-info that the active governor is still "ondemand".

This may happen if you have laptop-mode-tools installed. laptop-mode configures the active governor via the following variables: BATT_CPU_GOVERNOR, LM_AC_CPU_GOVERNOR, NOLM_AC_CPU_GOVERNOR. You can override them to your liking in /etc/laptop-mode/laptop-mode.conf:

BATT_CPU_GOVERNOR=powersave
LM_AC_CPU_GOVERNOR=conservative
NOLM_AC_CPU_GOVERNOR=ondemand
If you use laptop-mode to set the governor, you can disable /etc/init.d/cpufrequtils from starting at boot to save a few miliseconds:

update-rc.d -f cpufrequtils remove

https://wiki.debian.org/HowTo/CpuFrequencyScaling
kurotsugi

Post by kurotsugi »

instead of using cpufrequtils using tlp might easier.
Ubulindy

Post by Ubulindy »

kurotsugi, it would be nice to know what tlp is???
kurotsugi

Post by kurotsugi »

ah. sorry. it's quite new tool and not in the official repo yet. it's a tool for power saving. one of the feature is control both cpu govs and cpu freq :3

deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/linrunner/tlp/ubuntu lucid main
if you only want to control the cpu freq you only need tlp but you can also install tlp rdw to control radio connection.
http://linrunner.de/en/tlp/tlp.html
oscarus

Post by oscarus »

TLP works perfectly (even after rebooting or suspending!) Thank you guys (the royal "guys" :P ) for all your help!

You know, the weird thing is that I had installed TLP earlier today, but as soon as I saw that it required to remove the default ondemand governor to avoid conflicts, I thought it would be too hacky or complicated. After all the nonsense I tried and thanks to your recommendation, I gave TLP another chance only to realize it is actually very simple to use.

For future reference, here is what I edited on the TLP configuration file (don't forget to uncomment the settings you want to edit! i.e. remove the # ):

CPU_SCALING_GOVERNOR_ON_AC=ondemand
CPU_SCALING_GOVERNOR_ON_BAT=ondemand

CPU_SCALING_MIN_FREQ_ON_AC=0
CPU_SCALING_MAX_FREQ_ON_AC=1466000
CPU_SCALING_MIN_FREQ_ON_BAT=0
CPU_SCALING_MAX_FREQ_ON_BAT=1466000
Changing those settings makes "ondemand" the scaling governor and sets the max frequency of all the cores (cpu0 through cpu7) to 1.47 Ghz, which is 85% of the default 1.73 Ghz. This keeps the laptop from doubling as a space heater and marshmallow roaster, but those are "features" I can happily live without.

I also reverted the cpufrequtils file to its default settings just in case.
kurotsugi

Post by kurotsugi »

just a little note:
tlp can't work well with laptop-mode-tools and cpufrequtils. if we're on ubuntu based OS we might need to stop ondemand service (/etc/init.d/ondemand). the cpu gov control also didn't work well on some intel cpu if you're using p-state driver. p-state only have powersave and performance gov. thus, using ondemand on tlp config file won't work.
oscarus

Post by oscarus »

kurotsugi wrote:just a little note:
tlp can't work well with laptop-mode-tools and cpufrequtils. if we're on ubuntu based OS we might need to stop ondemand service (/etc/init.d/ondemand). the cpu gov control also didn't work well on some intel cpu if you're using p-state driver. p-state only have powersave and performance gov. thus, using ondemand on tlp config file won't work.
They offer a solution for the ondemand conflict here: http://linrunner.de/en/tlp/docs/tlp-faq.html#scaling
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

I love your signature line - and here is a graphical representation of that statement.

Here's a better one!
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-iaKgQja7IkI/T ... us_big.jpg
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
Ubulindy

Post by Ubulindy »

kurotsugi wrote:ah. sorry. it's quite new tool and not in the official repo yet. it's a tool for power saving. one of the feature is control both cpu govs and cpu freq :3

if you only want to control the cpu freq you only need tlp but you can also install tlp rdw to control radio connection.
http://linrunner.de/en/tlp/tlp.html

I'm on LMDE. Didn't I read that we aren't to add PPA's from Ubuntu to LMDE because they are not compatible and can/might/will break your system? That LMDE and Ubuntu are NOT interchangeable. Thanks for the info but because of this I think I'll pass :P
kurotsugi

Post by kurotsugi »

that's the general rule for PPA but that PPA is an exception since the lucid branch contain *deb files build for debian testing. the one who maintaining that PPA is the tlp dev himself. http://linrunner.de/en/tlp/docs/tlp-lin ... ement.html
Debian 6.0 and higher
as well as Linux Mint Debian Edition (LMDE)

Execute the following steps in a root shell.

Add a line for the package repository TLP-PPA to your /etc/apt/sources.list:

Add the public key for the PPA:

apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys 02D65EFF
If the above command fails, try with a different keyserver:

apt-key adv --keyserver pool.sks-keyservers.net --recv-keys 02D65EFF
Update package data:

apt-get update
Install the following packages:

tlp (PPA) – Power saving
    tlp-rdw (PPA) – optional, Radio Device Wizard
    tp-smapi-dkms (main) – optional ThinkPad only, tp-smapi is needed for battery charge thresholds and ThinkPad specific status output of tlp-stat
    acpi-call-tools (PPA) – optional ThinkPad only, acpi-call is needed for battery charge thresholds on Sandy Bridge and newer models (X220/T420, X230/T430 et al.)
The above packages may be installed via package management tools or terminal command:

sudo apt-get install tlp tlp-rdw
ThinkPads require an additional:

sudo apt-get install tp-smapi-dkms acpi-call-tools 
Ubulindy

Post by Ubulindy »

Ahhh, thanks for the info kurotsugi! I'll take a look at it more once I wake up a bit, need my coffee right now :D

Return to “LMDE Archive”