Canon Pixma iP8720 driver?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Chainsaw

Canon Pixma iP8720 driver?

Post by Chainsaw »

Anyone seen a driver for the Canon Pixma iP8720? Didn't have one in the autosearch that initiated when I tried to add the printer. Looked online, didn't see anything either.

I'm new to Linux Mint - have 16, just installed it today.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Canon Pixma iP8720 driver Canon supply drivers

Post by pdc_2 »

Hi Chainsaw; welcome to the Mint forums

Canon supply drivers for your printer: it is connected by usb cable? Mint uses debian packages so if you go here http://support-asia.canon-asia.com/cont ... 86102.html and click to download; and select SAVE when asked to choose;

you will be downloading cnijfilter-ip8700series-4.10-1-deb.tar.gz and it will be saved to your Downloads folder by default;

If you open a terminal: its icon should be about 4-5 icons up from Menu; bottom left; to paste into a terminal, use your mouse and the Menu to Edit on the top line; as the short cut is shift control V which needs 3 fingers!!

so if you paste the commands below into a terminal; having downloaded the file as I suggested above; and after each paste into the terminal, hit the ENTER key ...............
cd Downloads
tar -zxvf cnijfilter-ip8700series-4.10-1-deb.tar.gz
cd cnijfilter-ip8700series-4.10-1-deb
./install.sh
watch the screen: it will ask you to confirm a couple of things;

and that should install the driver and you should be able to print

If you copy and paste this command
cngpij -P IP8720USB
into the terminal, it should open a dialogue box to change settings on the printer; if it works; and is helpful; we can guide you to set up a launcher for repeated use
Chainsaw

Re: Canon Pixma iP8720 driver?

Post by Chainsaw »

Thanks for taking the time to write such a helpful response - I owe you a beer!

Anyway, I will try this when I get home from work and report back.

Also, it's a wireless printer, but does have a USB cable that I can use. I have another printer, a Samsung SL-M2825DW/XAC, that is wireless and my laptop w/Mint 16 (Mate) picked it up and auto-installed it with no issues. Immediately printed a test page, no problem.

Thanks again!
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Re: Canon Pixma iP8720 driver?

Post by pdc_2 »

thanks Chainsaw; for the pleasure of printing, I would recommend you start with a usb cable; part way through the install, you will back asked to select usb or network;

Return to “Printers & Scanners”