Sd reader

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Vaisut

Sd reader

Post by Vaisut »

Hello,
I've a problem to read sd card...How can I able the reader??

Thanks in advantage.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Sd reader

Post by Pierre »

seen that issue before,
- it's more likely to be a hardware issue, than what the O/S is.

fixed it by using a multi port, usb type reader that plugs into a usb port.
- plug the SD card into the appropriate port.

- especially older laptops, that come with a SD card reader.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
gtsfer

Post by gtsfer »

SD cards, especially those formatted for cameras are a bit screwy with Linux. If you insert the card then reboot, it will probably show up in up in your file manager. I have also had luck with this method. Just insert the card, then run these commands from terminal.

Code: Select all

sudo su -l
echo 1 > /sys/bus/pci/rescan 
Now reopen your file manager and the card should show up there.
Vaisut

Post by Vaisut »

I'm sorry but it doesn't work like that!!
wgn

Post by wgn »

Is this a built-in card reader? Run

lspci
Is it a usb reader? Run

lsusb
Post output of whichever is applicable.
Vaisut

Post by Vaisut »

It's a sd-card ....running lspci I get:

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 3rd Gen Core processor DRAM Controller (rev 09)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller (rev 09)
00:14.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family USB xHCI Host Controller (rev 04)
00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family MEI Controller #1 (rev 04)
00:1a.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller #2 (rev 04)
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family High Definition Audio Controller (rev 04)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 1 (rev c4)
00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 2 (rev c4)
00:1c.3 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 4 (rev c4)
00:1d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller #1 (rev 04)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation HM76 Express Chipset LPC Controller (rev 04)
00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 7 Series Chipset Family 6-port SATA Controller [AHCI mode] (rev 04)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family SMBus Controller (rev 04)
02:00.0 Network controller: Qualcomm Atheros AR9485 Wireless Network Adapter (rev 01)
03:00.0 Unassigned class [ff00]: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. Device 5286 (rev 01)
03:00.2 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8101E/RTL8102E PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller (rev 06)
wgn

Post by wgn »

That second-to-last line is the culprit
03:00.0 Unassigned class [ff00]: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. Device 5286 (rev 01)
Apparently there is a known bug with your reader, https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=67491
Comment 2 (near the bottom of the page) includes a workaround.
Vaisut

Post by Vaisut »

Concluding I need an external sd-card reader?
wayne128

Post by wayne128 »

that bug reports is, I think kernel 3.13...

what kernel you used?
have you tried to install another kernel or follow the work around?
Vaisut

Post by Vaisut »

This is the kernel vesion

#32-Ubuntu SMP 
wgn

Post by wgn »

Run

uname -r
to ID the kernel version.
Concluding I need an external sd-card reader?
That's always an option, but first see if the workaround fixes the hardware you already have.
Vaisut

Post by Vaisut »

3.11.0-18-generic
wgn

Post by wgn »

Try the workaround. The bug affects kernel versions >3.2.0. The workaround is supposed to work for ubuntu 13.10 (which was originally released with kernel 3.11).
The only way we'll find out if it works on your system is for you to try it.
Vaisut

Post by Vaisut »

Sorry what do you mean for workaround?
wgn

Post by wgn »

You need to look at the link provided above
Apparently there is a known bug with your reader, https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=67491
Comment 2 (near the bottom of the page) includes a workaround.
Vaisut

Post by Vaisut »

I've tried the workaround but at the fifth step is not really corrected because the path=5. Blacklist rtsx_pci in /etc/modprobe.d/rtsx_blacklist.conf doesn't exit.
I mean exists just blacklist.conf and trying to edit that one, anyway, with the command

modprobe rts_bpp

rts_bpp results not found!
wgn

Post by wgn »

You can either add

blacklist rtsx_pci
to blacklist.conf or create a new file (convention would be blacklist-rtsx_pci.conf) in modprobe.d
New file would be along the lines of

# Problems with sd card reader using default driver.
# Stop rtsx_pci from loading by default to allow rts_bpp to be loaded instead.
blacklist rtsx_pci
This won't take effect until after you reboot.

Then I think it should be

sudo modprobe rts_bpp
then

lsmod
to verify it loaded
Vaisut

Post by Vaisut »

I get