My Toshiba a105-s2716 with Mint 16 Petra 32 Bit has no sound

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ngali86

My Toshiba a105-s2716 with Mint 16 Petra 32 Bit has no sound

Post by ngali86 »

Hello to everybody,

My name is Nicolas, and Im really new to linux. However Iam an intermediate user of Windows, but I guess it rellay doesnt adds anything because everything here in Linux is so very diferent. Having said that, lets get to the point.

My problem here is that i dont know how to isntall drivers for the sound and video. I really have serached a lot for the last two days and testing many line commands, but nothing turned the way I expected.

The OS: Linux Mint 16 (32 bit Edition)
The PC: A laptop toshiba a105-s2716

Here is the result for the lspci command:

Code: Select all

toshiba@toshiba-Satellite-A105 ~ $ lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile 915GM/PM/GMS/910GML Express Processor to DRAM Controller (rev 03)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 915GM/GMS/910GML Express Graphics Controller (rev 03)
00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 915GM/GMS/910GML Express Graphics Controller (rev 03)
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) High Definition Audio Controller (rev 04)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) PCI Express Port 1 (rev 04)
00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) PCI Express Port 2 (rev 04)
00:1d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) USB UHCI #1 (rev 04)
00:1d.1 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) USB UHCI #2 (rev 04)
00:1d.2 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) USB UHCI #3 (rev 04)
00:1d.3 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) USB UHCI #4 (rev 04)
00:1d.7 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller (rev 04)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev d4)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801FBM (ICH6M) LPC Interface Bridge (rev 04)
00:1f.2 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801FBM (ICH6M) SATA Controller (rev 04)
01:00.0 Ethernet controller: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. 88E8036 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller (rev 10)
05:04.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 2200BG [Calexico2] Network Connection (rev 05)
05:06.0 CardBus bridge: Texas Instruments PCIxx12 Cardbus Controller
05:06.1 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Texas Instruments PCIxx12 OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller
05:06.2 Mass storage controller: Texas Instruments 5-in-1 Multimedia Card Reader (SD/MMC/MS/MS PRO/xD)
05:06.3 SD Host controller: Texas Instruments PCIxx12 SDA Standard Compliant SD Host Controller
As you can see I have these devices for audio and video:

a) 00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) High Definition Audio Controller (rev 04)
b) 00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 915GM/GMS/910GML Express Graphics Controller (rev 03)

I ve been trying to install the audio driver by using the ASLA method. I downloaded thes files:

a) alsa-driver-1.0.25.tar.bz2
b) alsa-lib-1.0.27.2.tar.bz2
c) alsa-utils-1.0.27.2.tar.bz2

I ve descompressed them and when trying to install it it promps me with this error:

toshiba@toshiba-Satellite-A105 /home $ sudo su
[sudo] password for toshiba: 
toshiba-Satellite-A105 home # cd /usr/src/alsa/alsa-driver-1.0.25/
toshiba-Satellite-A105 alsa-driver-1.0.25 # ./configure --with-cards=hda-intel
checking for gcc... gcc
checking whether the C compiler works... yes
checking for C compiler default output file name... a.out
checking for suffix of executables... 
checking whether we are cross compiling... no
checking for suffix of object files... o
checking whether we are using the GNU C compiler... yes
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking for gcc option to accept ISO C89... none needed
checking for ranlib... ranlib
checking for a BSD-compatible install... /usr/bin/install -c
checking how to run the C preprocessor... gcc -E
checking for grep that handles long lines and -e... /bin/grep
checking for egrep... /bin/grep -E
checking for ANSI C header files... yes
checking for an ANSI C-conforming const... yes
checking for inline... inline
checking whether time.h and sys/time.h may both be included... yes
checking whether gcc needs -traditional... no
checking for current directory... /usr/src/alsa/alsa-driver-1.0.25
checking cross compile... 
checking for directory with ALSA kernel sources... /usr/src/alsa/alsa-driver-1.0.25/alsa-kernel
checking for directory with kernel source... /lib/modules/3.11.0-12-generic/build
checking for directory with kernel build... /lib/modules/3.11.0-12-generic/build
checking for kernel linux/version.h ... no
The file /lib/modules/3.11.0-12-generic/build/include/INCLUDE_VERSION_H does not exist.
Please install the package with full kernel sources for your distribution
or use --with-kernel=dir option to specify another directory with kernel
sources (default is /lib/modules/3.11.0-12-generic/build).
I also try to find something for the driver but no result either.

I ve tried so many things and having no rsult.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Mute Ant

Re: Sound and Video in Toshiba using Linux Mint

Post by Mute Ant »

Okay you are new to Linux. ''Linux is not Windows'' you will see that a lot. We don't download drivers from the manufacture. Mint developers do that, test them and include them in the distribution [in the kernel]. Every six months, there's a new version; Mint13, Mint14, Mint15, Mint 16 which already has drivers for every chip and hardware plug-in they have access to.

So top-marks for getting to the compile-my-own-driver stage, but stop now. You really need a new post...

'My Toshiba [say which one] with Mint [say which one] has no sound'

...and a swarm of other owners will know your problem is one they already fixed.
ngali86

Post by ngali86 »

Mute Ant wrote:Okay you are new to Linux. ''Linux is not Windows'' you will see that a lot. We don't download drivers from the manufacture. Mint developers do that, test them and include them in the distribution [in the kernel]. Every six months, there's a new version; Mint13, Mint14, Mint15, Mint 16 which already has drivers for every chip and hardware plug-in they have access to.

So top-marks for getting to the compile-my-own-driver stage, but stop now. You really need a new post...

'My Toshiba [say which one] with Mint [say which one] has no sound'

...and a swarm of other owners will know your problem is one they already fixed.
Hi there!...

Thanks for your reply..... Although I dont know what you rellay meant,,,are you saying I shall write another post and wait until Mint developers decide to include my driver?...what about tha ALSA project....wasnt that for audio drivers taht werent detected automatically??...or I ve really missunderstood everything? ...how comes that in linux there is no such thing like a driver??.....I went to realtek web....an there was a linux driver...which I thing is an ALSA version.....not sure abou it-......intell for the videwo driver ....also has its own....but failed to isnatll.....and so on.....if not drivers.....what are they'??..... thanks again for helping me.....and sorry for these questions....i know they migt sound really newbie questions and stupid oness.....but I think this is the section for that,,,,isnt it??.....many thanks ...bye!
Ginsu543

Post by Ginsu543 »

ngali86 wrote: Thanks for your reply..... Although I dont know what you rellay meant,,,are you saying I shall write another post and wait until Mint developers decide to include my driver?
First of all, welcome to Mint!

What Mute Ant meant (and please correct me if this is not what you meant) is that you need to stop trying to solve a Linux problem like a Windows problem. He is telling you how to use this forum to best help you get your question answered. Instead of titling your post "Sound and Video in Toshiba using Linux Mint" (this is way too generic), you can get better results if you start another thread titled something like "My Toshiba <your model> with Mint <your version> has no sound." That's because there may be other users here who have the same model Toshiba you have and found a way to fix the same sound problem you have. How you word your title will determine what kind of helpers you can attract to help you solve your problem.
ngali86 wrote: what about tha ALSA project....wasnt that for audio drivers taht werent detected automatically??...or I ve really missunderstood everything? ...how comes that in linux there is no such thing like a driver??.....I went to realtek web....an there was a linux driver...
Before I address the ALSA project, let's see if I understand your problem right. When you installed Mint (again, it would be really helpful which version of Mint you're using) on your Toshiba, do you not get any sound? Did you make sure to configure everything properly in the Preferences --> System Settings --> Sound applet?

It's not that there are no such things as drivers in Linux. It's that they are handled differently than in Windows. In Windows, each hardware manufacturer includes a driver CD (or you can download the driver from the manufacturer) with the hardware to make it work with Windows. So once you install the hardware, you use the included CD (or downloaded file) to install the driver.

In Linux, that is NOT how it works. Whatever hardware that works with Linux already has the driver included in the Linux kernel. Therefore, as long as the hardware is supported, it will work as soon as you install it and run Linux. On some occasions, the hardware in question is not supported by Linux. This is in general not Linux's fault but the fault of the manufacturers. Some manufacturers just won't share their proprietary drivers with Linux developers so that a LInux-compatible version may be made and included in a future release of the Linux kernel. In such cases, other workarounds must be found. However, just going to a manufacturer's website and downloading whatever driver they have for Linux is usually not the way to go. Sometimes, that will work, but many times it will backfire. That's because there are so many different flavors of Linux out there. While many work similarly to one another (such as Mint and Ubuntu), others are very different (such as Mint and Fedora). They are all Linux because they are all based on the Linux kernel, but how each of these distributions handle programs can be different.
ngali86 wrote: intell for the videwo driver ....also has its own....but failed to isnatll.....and so on.....if not drivers.....what are they'??
Most Intel video works out of the box without the need for a driver. Try this:

1) Open Terminal (Mint's command line interface)

2) Type the following and hit ENTER:

inxi -AGx
3) Post the results here

This will help us get information concerning your audio and video subsystems. Take a look at what it says after "Direct Rendering:". If you see "Yes," then your video subsystem is already functioning properly and you have 3D support.
ngali86 wrote: ..... thanks again for helping me.....and sorry for these questions....i know they migt sound really newbie questions and stupid oness.....but I think this is the section for that,,,,isnt it??.....many thanks ...bye!
As they say, there are no stupid questions, as long as you have a willingness to learn and humility to learn from others. If I may, what's actually hindering you more right now is not what you don't know about Linux, but what you do know about Windows, which is causing you to approach things in the wrong way. Some of your learning curve will be to unlearn what you know about Windows. But we were all newbies once. I myself have been using Linux since 2008 but I'm still learning new things all the time. That's the joy of Linux!
ngali86

Post by ngali86 »

First of all...thanks a lot for your help!.... I am very grateful and humble to accept any advice, so whatever you wanna say, feel free to do so...I accept all suggestions. I ve chnaged the title post as it was adviced. I run the command you specified, and turned out that I have Direct Rendering supported, so 50% of the problem is solved!!!...already was, its only that now I know!....again thanks toy you!....So, audio issue is yet to be dealed now....so here is the result for the inxi -AGx result:

toshiba@toshiba-Satellite-A105 ~ $ inxi -AGx
Graphics:  Card: Intel Mobile 915GM/GMS/910GML Express Graphics Controller bus-ID: 00:02.0 
           X.Org: 1.14.3 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1280x800@60.1hz 
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel 915GM x86/MMX/SSE2 GLX Version: 1.4 Mesa 9.2.1 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio:     Card: Intel 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) High Definition Audio Controller bus-ID: 00:1b.0
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture ver: k3.11.0-12-generic

Reggarding to the sound applet, I went there but dont know what to configure, i see the button to test the sound, balance, etc, still no sound.
So, ALSA, Realtek and everything that has to do with the concept of driver it has been wiped off my brain already. So what would be the next step to get the sound working?

Thanks again for your help, I wait paciently for your reply...
Ginsu543

Re: My Toshiba a105-s2716 with Mint 16 Petra 32 Bit has no s

Post by Ginsu543 »

Hi ngali86,

Congrats on the working video! A neat way to double-check whether your video is working is to open Terminal and run this command:

glxgears
If you get three rotating gears with Terminal outputs telling you the fps, then your video is fully operational.

As for your audio, I was checking your output from the lspci command and what I get on my Toshiba R200 laptop, and it appears that our hardware is pretty much identical. I too have Intel Mobile 915GM/GMS/910GML Express graphics and the same Intel 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) audio controller. But sound is working fine on my laptop.

But when I compare our outputs from inxi -AGx, I notice a difference.

Here's your output:

Audio:     Card: Intel 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) High Definition Audio Controller bus-ID: 00:1b.0
And here's mine:

Audio:     Card: Intel 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) AC'97 Audio Controller driver: snd_intel8x0 ports: 2000 2880 bus-ID: 00:1e.2
If you notice, your output is missing info on driver and ports. I'm also not sure if it matters that yours says "High Definition Audio Controller" while mine says "AC'97 Audio Controller".

Is it possible for you to change the sound option from HD Audio to AC'97 in your BIOS? On my Toshiba, the BIOS does not give me that option.

Also, could you please post your /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf and /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf files here so I can take a look at it?
ngali86

Post by ngali86 »

Hi Ginsu543!!..

I ve tried to change to AC 97, but there is no option in the BIOS, and previously I ve been trying to update it but its bo possible...it has the latest BIOS for this Toshiba. I wanted to do that because i didnt boot from my USB...but thats another story....

So...heere is the /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf

# autoloader aliases
install sound-slot-0 /sbin/modprobe snd-card-0
install sound-slot-1 /sbin/modprobe snd-card-1
install sound-slot-2 /sbin/modprobe snd-card-2
install sound-slot-3 /sbin/modprobe snd-card-3
install sound-slot-4 /sbin/modprobe snd-card-4
install sound-slot-5 /sbin/modprobe snd-card-5
install sound-slot-6 /sbin/modprobe snd-card-6
install sound-slot-7 /sbin/modprobe snd-card-7

# Cause optional modules to be loaded above generic modules
install snd /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd $CMDLINE_OPTS && { /sbin/modprobe --quiet --use-blacklist snd-ioctl32 ; /sbin/modprobe --quiet --use-blacklist snd-seq ; }
#
# Workaround at bug #499695 (reverted in Ubuntu see LP #319505)
install snd-pcm /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-pcm $CMDLINE_OPTS && { /sbin/modprobe --quiet --use-blacklist snd-pcm-oss ; : ; }
install snd-mixer /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-mixer $CMDLINE_OPTS && { /sbin/modprobe --quiet --use-blacklist snd-mixer-oss ; : ; }
install snd-seq /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-seq $CMDLINE_OPTS && { /sbin/modprobe --quiet --use-blacklist snd-seq-midi ; /sbin/modprobe --quiet --use-blacklist snd-seq-oss ; : ; }
#
install snd-rawmidi /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-rawmidi $CMDLINE_OPTS && { /sbin/modprobe --quiet --use-blacklist snd-seq-midi ; : ; }
# Cause optional modules to be loaded above sound card driver modules
install snd-emu10k1 /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-emu10k1 $CMDLINE_OPTS && { /sbin/modprobe --quiet --use-blacklist snd-emu10k1-synth ; }
install snd-via82xx /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-via82xx $CMDLINE_OPTS && { /sbin/modprobe --quiet --use-blacklist snd-seq ; }

# Load saa7134-alsa instead of saa7134 (which gets dragged in by it anyway)
install saa7134 /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install saa7134 $CMDLINE_OPTS && { /sbin/modprobe --quiet --use-blacklist saa7134-alsa ; : ; }
# Prevent abnormal drivers from grabbing index 0
options bt87x index=-2
options cx88_alsa index=-2
options saa7134-alsa index=-2
options snd-atiixp-modem index=-2
options snd-intel8x0m index=-2
options snd-via82xx-modem index=-2
options snd-usb-audio index=-2
options snd-usb-caiaq index=-2
options snd-usb-ua101 index=-2
options snd-usb-us122l index=-2
options snd-usb-usx2y index=-2
# Ubuntu #62691, enable MPU for snd-cmipci
options snd-cmipci mpu_port=0x330 fm_port=0x388
# Keep snd-pcsp from being loaded as first soundcard
options snd-pcsp index=-2
# Keep snd-usb-audio from beeing loaded as first soundcard
and the /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf

# This file lists those modules which we don't want to be loaded by
# alias expansion, usually so some other driver will be loaded for the
# device instead.

# evbug is a debug tool that should be loaded explicitly
blacklist evbug

# these drivers are very simple, the HID drivers are usually preferred
blacklist usbmouse
blacklist usbkbd

# replaced by e100
blacklist eepro100

# replaced by tulip
blacklist de4x5

# causes no end of confusion by creating unexpected network interfaces
blacklist eth1394

# snd_intel8x0m can interfere with snd_intel8x0, doesn't seem to support much
# hardware on its own (Ubuntu bug #2011, #6810)
blacklist snd_intel8x0m

# Conflicts with dvb driver (which is better for handling this device)
blacklist snd_aw2

# causes failure to suspend on HP compaq nc6000 (Ubuntu: #10306)
blacklist i2c_i801

# replaced by p54pci
blacklist prism54

# replaced by b43 and ssb.
blacklist bcm43xx

# most apps now use garmin usb driver directly (Ubuntu: #114565)
blacklist garmin_gps

# replaced by asus-laptop (Ubuntu: #184721)
blacklist asus_acpi

# low-quality, just noise when being used for sound playback, causes
# hangs at desktop session start (Ubuntu: #246969)
blacklist snd_pcsp

# ugly and loud noise, getting on everyone's nerves; this should be done by a
# nice pulseaudio bing (Ubuntu: #77010)
blacklist pcspkr

# EDAC driver for amd76x clashes with the agp driver preventing the aperture
# from being initialised (Ubuntu: #297750). Blacklist so that the driver
# continues to build and is installable for the few cases where its
# really needed.
blacklist amd76x_edac
I also run the glxgears command, these are the results:

308 frames in 5.0 seconds = 61.345 FPS
302 frames in 5.0 seconds = 60.308 FPS
306 frames in 5.0 seconds = 60.879 FPS
311 frames in 5.0 seconds = 62.001 FPS
303 frames in 5.0 seconds = 60.596 FPS
307 frames in 5.0 seconds = 61.392 FPS
304 frames in 5.0 seconds = 60.610 FPS
306 frames in 5.0 seconds = 60.990 FPS
306 frames in 5.0 seconds = 61.000 FPS
308 frames in 5.0 seconds = 61.599 FPS
304 frames in 5.0 seconds = 60.798 FPS
304 frames in 5.0 seconds = 60.615 FPS
305 frames in 5.0 seconds = 60.783 FPS
306 frames in 5.0 seconds = 61.128 FPS
301 frames in 5.0 seconds = 60.072 FPS
307 frames in 5.0 seconds = 61.394 FPS
307 frames in 5.0 seconds = 61.238 FPS
305 frames in 5.0 seconds = 60.965 FPS
306 frames in 5.0 seconds = 61.022 FPS
303 frames in 5.0 seconds = 60.463 FPS
304 frames in 5.0 seconds = 60.710 FPS
304 frames in 5.0 seconds = 60.795 FPS
Would you agree if these are ok?... Again thanks for helping me and taking the time to solve this!....
norm.h
Level 5
Level 5

Post by norm.h »

ngali86 wrote:Hi Ginsu543!!..
I ve tried to change to AC 97, but there is no option in the BIOS, !.........
Have you tried looking at the Hardware tab in Sound Preferences ?
You may find the both High Definition Audio Controller and the AC 97 you're looking for, selectable with a radio button.
ngali86

Post by ngali86 »

norm.h wrote:
I ve tried to change to AC 97, but there is no option in the BIOS, !.........
Have you tried looking at the Hardware tab in Sound Preferences ?
You may find the both High Definition Audio Controller and the AC 97 you're looking for, selectable with a radio button.

Hi!

Yes, I ve looked into that tab, however, I only get a "Dummy Output" option only!.. It lets me control the volume, the mute button, the balance slider and even the test button is available, etc...... still no sound can be heared in the speakers... thanks for yor help anyway!!....
Ginsu543

Post by Ginsu543 »

I ve tried to change to AC 97, but there is no option in the BIOS, and previously I ve been trying to update it but its bo possible...it has the latest BIOS for this Toshiba. I wanted to do that because i didnt boot from my USB...but thats another story....

So...heere is the /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf

# autoloader aliases
install sound-slot-0 /sbin/modprobe snd-card-0
install sound-slot-1 /sbin/modprobe snd-card-1
install sound-slot-2 /sbin/modprobe snd-card-2
install sound-slot-3 /sbin/modprobe snd-card-3
install sound-slot-4 /sbin/modprobe snd-card-4
install sound-slot-5 /sbin/modprobe snd-card-5
install sound-slot-6 /sbin/modprobe snd-card-6
install sound-slot-7 /sbin/modprobe snd-card-7

# Cause optional modules to be loaded above generic modules
install snd /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd $CMDLINE_OPTS && { /sbin/modprobe --quiet --use-blacklist snd-ioctl32 ; /sbin/modprobe --quiet --use-blacklist snd-seq ; }
#
# Workaround at bug #499695 (reverted in Ubuntu see LP #319505)
install snd-pcm /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-pcm $CMDLINE_OPTS && { /sbin/modprobe --quiet --use-blacklist snd-pcm-oss ; : ; }
install snd-mixer /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-mixer $CMDLINE_OPTS && { /sbin/modprobe --quiet --use-blacklist snd-mixer-oss ; : ; }
install snd-seq /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-seq $CMDLINE_OPTS && { /sbin/modprobe --quiet --use-blacklist snd-seq-midi ; /sbin/modprobe --quiet --use-blacklist snd-seq-oss ; : ; }
#
install snd-rawmidi /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-rawmidi $CMDLINE_OPTS && { /sbin/modprobe --quiet --use-blacklist snd-seq-midi ; : ; }
# Cause optional modules to be loaded above sound card driver modules
install snd-emu10k1 /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-emu10k1 $CMDLINE_OPTS && { /sbin/modprobe --quiet --use-blacklist snd-emu10k1-synth ; }
install snd-via82xx /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-via82xx $CMDLINE_OPTS && { /sbin/modprobe --quiet --use-blacklist snd-seq ; }

# Load saa7134-alsa instead of saa7134 (which gets dragged in by it anyway)
install saa7134 /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install saa7134 $CMDLINE_OPTS && { /sbin/modprobe --quiet --use-blacklist saa7134-alsa ; : ; }
# Prevent abnormal drivers from grabbing index 0
options bt87x index=-2
options cx88_alsa index=-2
options saa7134-alsa index=-2
options snd-atiixp-modem index=-2
options snd-intel8x0m index=-2
options snd-via82xx-modem index=-2
options snd-usb-caiaq index=-2
options snd-usb-ua101 index=-2
options snd-usb-us122l index=-2
options snd-usb-usx2y index=-2
# Ubuntu #62691, enable MPU for snd-cmipci
options snd-cmipci mpu_port=0x330 fm_port=0x388
# Keep snd-pcsp from being loaded as first soundcard
options snd-pcsp index=-2
# Keep snd-usb-audio from beeing loaded as first soundcard
and the /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf

# This file lists those modules which we don't want to be loaded by
# alias expansion, usually so some other driver will be loaded for the
# device instead.

# evbug is a debug tool that should be loaded explicitly
blacklist evbug

# these drivers are very simple, the HID drivers are usually preferred
blacklist usbmouse
blacklist usbkbd

# replaced by e100
blacklist eepro100

# replaced by tulip
blacklist de4x5

# causes no end of confusion by creating unexpected network interfaces
blacklist eth1394

# snd_intel8x0m can interfere with snd_intel8x0, doesn't seem to support much
# hardware on its own (Ubuntu bug #2011, #6810)
blacklist snd_intel8x0m

# Conflicts with dvb driver (which is better for handling this device)
blacklist snd_aw2

# causes failure to suspend on HP compaq nc6000 (Ubuntu: #10306)
blacklist i2c_i801

# replaced by p54pci
blacklist prism54

# replaced by b43 and ssb.
blacklist bcm43xx

# most apps now use garmin usb driver directly (Ubuntu: #114565)
blacklist garmin_gps

# replaced by asus-laptop (Ubuntu: #184721)
blacklist asus_acpi

# low-quality, just noise when being used for sound playback, causes
# hangs at desktop session start (Ubuntu: #246969)
blacklist snd_pcsp

# ugly and loud noise, getting on everyone's nerves; this should be done by a
# nice pulseaudio bing (Ubuntu: #77010)
blacklist pcspkr

# EDAC driver for amd76x clashes with the agp driver preventing the aperture
# from being initialised (Ubuntu: #297750). Blacklist so that the driver
# continues to build and is installable for the few cases where its
# really needed.
blacklist amd76x_edac
Okay, all those outputs looks pretty much identical to mine. Let's try this:

1) Add the following line to /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf:

options snd-intel8x0 index=0 ac97_quirk=3 enable=1
2) Reboot and see if you have sound
ngali86 wrote:I also run the glxgears command, these are the results:

308 frames in 5.0 seconds = 61.345 FPS
302 frames in 5.0 seconds = 60.308 FPS
306 frames in 5.0 seconds = 60.879 FPS
311 frames in 5.0 seconds = 62.001 FPS
303 frames in 5.0 seconds = 60.596 FPS
307 frames in 5.0 seconds = 61.392 FPS
304 frames in 5.0 seconds = 60.610 FPS
306 frames in 5.0 seconds = 60.990 FPS
306 frames in 5.0 seconds = 61.000 FPS
308 frames in 5.0 seconds = 61.599 FPS
304 frames in 5.0 seconds = 60.798 FPS
304 frames in 5.0 seconds = 60.615 FPS
305 frames in 5.0 seconds = 60.783 FPS
306 frames in 5.0 seconds = 61.128 FPS
301 frames in 5.0 seconds = 60.072 FPS
307 frames in 5.0 seconds = 61.394 FPS
307 frames in 5.0 seconds = 61.238 FPS
305 frames in 5.0 seconds = 60.965 FPS
306 frames in 5.0 seconds = 61.022 FPS
303 frames in 5.0 seconds = 60.463 FPS
304 frames in 5.0 seconds = 60.710 FPS
304 frames in 5.0 seconds = 60.795 FPS
Would you agree if these are ok?... Again thanks for helping me and taking the time to solve this!....
That looks right as rain!
ngali86

Post by ngali86 »

No it didnt work....still no sound. However, I noticed that in the same folder exists these files:

a) alsa-base.conf (this is the one I first used as told)
b) alsa-base.conf.save
c) alsa-base.conf.save.1
d) alsa-base.conf.save.2 (this one ends particulary diferent...it has this line: options snd-hda-intel modelo=auto)

I ve tried changing the four of them with the line you provided....having not been successful...

Thanks!
Ginsu543

Post by Ginsu543 »

Hey, sorry I've been busy the last couple of days. Since the last attempt didn't work, let's try something new. Take a look at this thread and take a look at your alsamixer. You can launch alsamixer by typing this in Terminal and hitting ENTER:

alsamixer
Once the program is running, hit F6 to see if your sound card is properly selected. See if adjusting any of the levels helps.
ngali86

Post by ngali86 »

Hi!!

There is no problem, I appreciate your help and understand that you also have a life.... I was also busy, but here I am again to finish this off... ok... back to business!!

I ve run the command you said

alsamixer
But wasnt lucky, i got a "alsamixer: no such file or directory" message. I also tried out what was suggeste d in the link you provided, but apparantly the alsamixer is installed because
I went to the "Synaptic" panel and the "alsa-utils" was installed. I ve read that this last package I mentioned contains the "alsamixer" so I dont know wahts wrong. Also, I ve tried to
lunch "gnome-alsamixer" as explained in that link...but got the same result as that guy:

The program 'gnome-alsamixer' is currently not installed. You can install it by typing:
sudo apt-get install gnome-alsamixer

So I did that.....

sudo apt-get install gnome-alsamixer

...So I hit again withe the commnad "gnome-alsamixer", and boom!!..The appearing GNOME-ALSAMIXER is blank, except the menues: file, edit and help. If I try to enter the sound card properties the following screen appears:

GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_type_instance_get_private: assertion `instance != NULL && instance->g_class != NULL' failed
Segmentation fault

Thanks!
Ginsu543

Post by Ginsu543 »

Admittedly, I'm running out of ideas. This may be a nuclear option, but perhaps you might consider wiping your drive and reinstalling Mint 16. As I mentioned earlier, your hardware is identical to my Toshiba R200. Mint 16 had no problems identifying my hardware and installing the proper drivers for them, so that I had working sound from the get-go.

I'm thinking perhaps when you reinstall, Mint 16 will configure your hardware properly. At least, if the problem persists after the reinstall, you will know it's a legitimate hardware issue particular to your computer.

Another suggestion is to try installing another flavor of Mint 16, such as Cinnamon or XFCE. I was just reminded that mine is a Cinnamon install (which works surprisingly well on my modest laptop, considering Cinnamon is much more resource-hungry than MATE), and XFCE works best with older hardware.
ngali86

Post by ngali86 »

Hi there....

Sorry for the late reply.... I ve been very busy this week.

The version I currently have is Cinnamon. I ve reinstalled two times in this machine, with no results so far. Also, I ve executed it (not installed) by booting from the DVD in my desktop machine, and worked perfectly well, I had sound!!...

In my quest to discover linux, also tried "Linux Fedora 20" and "Linux Xubuntu 14".....having not succeded again!!..I will try hopelessly XFCE and MATE but truly this will be the end of it....hope one of these works, cause I ve already burned 3 DVDs, and awaits 2 more to test........sadly not possible by using USB, this garbagge I use to call PC doesnt boot from USB, and the BIOS, as I said before is the latest one that can be updated. So, unless you come acrross with another idea, i have these two more shots to try, and then, yes, I will be doomed!!....but life goes on...I supose so...hehe....

So, if the described before doesnt work, I conclude no other thing rather than the issue is with this damm latpop!!....I think I will just give up..... and either survive without sound or install win XP (sorry if this is impropiate to say) wich is certain death since not very long ago they stopped supporting, which was why I wanted linux!!...

Lots of thanks anyway, you were bothered enough. Even we couldnt find the solution, you were very willingly and helpful....
m4ki4v3lo

Post by m4ki4v3lo »

I've been following quitely the resolution to this post. I too have a toshiba a105 s361. with end of support to win xp, i decided to give linux flavors a try. Ubuntu/LUbuntu no sound after many hours troubleshoot. l see now that with Mint, i will just turn into another dead end street with this sound card.
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) High Definition Audio Controller (rev 04)
Subsystem: Toshiba America Info Systems Device ff10
Flags: fast devsel, IRQ 11
Memory at fabf8000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable)
Capabilities: <access denied>

I ordered a cheap 7.1 USB Sound Card from ebay to see if I can go about it in a different approach, but man if I could just get this dummy sound card working with linux. I hate feeling defeated.... i'll keep quiet again...
ngali86

Post by ngali86 »

m4ki4v3lo wrote:I've been following quitely the resolution to this post. I too have a toshiba a105 s361. with end of support to win xp, i decided to give linux flavors a try. Ubuntu/LUbuntu no sound after many hours troubleshoot. l see now that with Mint, i will just turn into another dead end street with this sound card.
Subsystem: Toshiba America Info Systems Device ff10
Flags: fast devsel, IRQ 11
Memory at fabf8000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable)
Capabilities: <access denied>

I ordered a cheap 7.1 USB Sound Card from ebay to see if I can go about it in a different approach, but man if I could just get this dummy sound card working with linux. I hate feeling defeated.... i'll keep quiet again...

Sorry to hear that.... I already gave up. But anyone who comes out with a solution, I'll try it out hopelessly, and post the results. I also hate to be defeated, but I gave this battle a great fight (Mostly with help from this forum, thanks to evryone!!)...So...I suppose I will have to learn to live with out sound. Whatever...... :?
ngali86

Post by ngali86 »

Just wanted to tell I ve been very busy for a long time, and I stopped testing. However, from time to time, I come here to check if somene came up with something knew......still, surviving with the problem.... really need this working......amazingly, I started loving linux, and I refuse to go back to windows XP, never again.... please, is like being in paradise for one day, and then, back on Earth, knowing all the wonders that I cannot longer have!!!.....it has to work, somehow it must... I cant think any reason why shouldnt.....so any suggetion, no matter how stupid it is, please throw it by all means....I'll do wahtever!!
Ginsu543

Post by Ginsu543 »

Have you tried installing Mint 17? :)

I was very happy with Mint 16 on my Toshiba laptop, but Mint 17 works even better, believe it or not. No guarantees, of course, but Mint 17 may get your sound to work. Even if it doesn't, it's worth upgrading to 17 anyways, since Mint 16 will lose support pretty soon. Since Mint 17 will be base on the same packages until the next Ubuntu LTS release (two more years), whatever workarounds you find for you sound problem needs to work in Mint 17.
ngali86

Post by ngali86 »

Ginsu543 wrote:Have you tried installing Mint 17? :)

I was very happy with Mint 16 on my Toshiba laptop, but Mint 17 works even better, believe it or not. No guarantees, of course, but Mint 17 may get your sound to work. Even if it doesn't, it's worth upgrading to 17 anyways, since Mint 16 will lose support pretty soon. Since Mint 17 will be base on the same packages until the next Ubuntu LTS release (two more years), whatever workarounds you find for you sound problem needs to work in Mint 17.
Hi there,

Answering your question, no I havent tried yet. I agree in everything you said, I will be doing it soon and post the resut although Im no very confident in the fact that it will work since I ve tried other linux distributions and also having the exact same result. Moreover, I tried linux mint in a Desktop computer (not this one, the non sound working laptop toshiba), and the sound was heared perfectly well!...

Thanks anyway...

Return to “Sound”