Linux, partitions, and partition tables [Solved]

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
AlanWalker

Linux, partitions, and partition tables [Solved]

Post by AlanWalker »

As an exercise (and to scratch an itch) I am thinking of resizing /, moving swap, and resizing /home on an LMDE system that has a single hard disk.

I think I may be able to do this working in a directory off root using tar, gparted, and sfdisk, but to do that I think it would be nice to know if Linux will be using a shadow in ram of sda's partition table while I alter the partition table on sda; does anyone know if Linux uses ram shadows of partition tables while running?

TIA,
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
wayne128

Re: Linux, partitions, and partition tables

Post by wayne128 »

I don't know how to answer your question.

However, when I partition the hard disk, I usually would run gparted from a Live DVD or a Live USB, when run in Live mode, I have total freedom to do all partitioning.

One very important thing to note, partitioning has a risk of making any partition OS unbootable and any partition data lost.
Some people may even corrupt their partition table so much as that they cannot access anything in the drive..

So, backup your important data and important OS partition ( that you want to keep) to external media, then you have a restore path.
AlanWalker

Re: Linux, partitions, and partition tables [Solved]

Post by AlanWalker »

Thanks for your reply Wayne.

I've decided against doing the exercise; it would be interesting to see if I could manage my laptop in that way (I think it can safely be done) but there are other issues involved.

Thanks again,

Return to “LMDE Archive”