Daryna kinda, Elyssa kinda...

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Daryna kinda, Elyssa kinda...

Post by MagnusB »

Post the output of

Code: Select all

lspci
need a bit more specific information about your wireless and graphic card
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
--Dean Martin
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MagnusB »

Linux doesn't require a restart after each update like Windows, but some changes requires updates, especially services that is running, and is critical for running the system.
In example, if you update your network daemon in Linux, it will just restart it, no reboot required. Windows will make you reboot. Changing X settings means X needs to be restarted, you can just press Ctrl+Alt+Backspace to restart X.
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
--Dean Martin
Lantesh

Post by Lantesh »

NickVL wrote:Ah hah! I got everything to work in Elyssa. Monitor now displays at native 1024x768 and my wireless is now working! This was NOT easier/simpler then Windows. We will see if it was worth the effort...
I ended up using

Code: Select all

sudo displayconfig-gtk
and setting the display & adaptor manually. I was not aware I needed to restart the computer- I read linux did not require restarts for changes to take effect... liar...
Where did you read setting up anything in Linux is supposed to be easier than Windows? I've never seen any Linux distribution make that claim. I hope you find it to be worth it. Linux is far more powerful than Windows if you are willing to learn. Also next time just restart x-windows as was already mentioned.

Return to “Beginner Questions”