Brightness 0 on Boot

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
icmp_request

Brightness 0 on Boot

Post by icmp_request »

Hello! :)

Just wondering if you have a fix. My Laptop Screen Brightness goes to 0 when booting into LMDE and I have to manually turn it up.

I have searched here and there and found a quick fix, to add this line into rc.local:

Code: Select all

cat /sys/class/backlight/acpi_video0/max_brightness > /sys/class/backlight/acpi_video0/brightness
But it doesn't work all of the time and it works... well, only when rc.local runs, after all the scripts, so no boot messages for me.

I have also tried to give the "nomodeset" (without the quotes) parameter for my linux kernel on boot which worked on another distro, and it kinda solved, if it were not for the fact that X wouldn't start anymore.

Ah, my hardware details:

Video: Intel® HD Graphics 4000 from Core i3-3110M.

(By the way, where did the "hwinfo" command go? Can't find it anywhere. Is it on another package or should I download the .deb from somewhere and install manually? Sorry, old Linux Mint LTS user, newcomer to LMDE...)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
icmp_request

Re: Brightness 0 on Boot

Post by icmp_request »

The issue was solved by adding:

Code: Select all

acpi_osi=Linux
To the kernel boot options. Any other option like acpi_vendor=something didn't have any effect for me.

I'm still wondering about the "hwinfo", though:

1. Was this removed? If so, which would be a good replacement?
2. Is it available only by adding the Debian Testing repository to my apt sources?
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

icmp_request wrote:I'm still wondering about the "hwinfo", though:
Using Mint 13 Cinnamon, I had hwinfo in the repository. Now with Mint 16 Cinnamon, it is no longer there. It may be the same situation for LMDE.
There is a very nice GUI program in the repo - hardinfo
See if you have that.
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

icmp_request wrote:I'm still wondering about the "hwinfo", though:

2. Is it available only by adding the Debian Testing repository to my apt sources?
It's been removed from Debian Testing repos some time before UP8 freeze (see this page), and so it's currently not present in LMDE repos. Later it's been added to Debian Testing repos again, and that's where you can get it from.

Return to “LMDE Archive”