VirtualBox 1.6.2 on Linux Mint 5 R1

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
winterfresh
Level 1
Level 1

VirtualBox 1.6.2 on Linux Mint 5 R1

Post by winterfresh »

I'm fairly new to Linux and just installed VB 1.6.2 on LM 5 - no errors displayed (phew!). Decided to read the VB user manual after installation and saw this tidbit:
2.3 Installing on Linux hosts
2.3.1 Prerequisites
For the various versions of Linux that we support as host operating systems, please
refer to chapter 1.3.1, Supported host operating systems, page 12.
You will need to install the following packages on your Linux system before starting
the installation (some systems will do this for you automatically when you install
VirtualBox):
• Qt 3.3.5 or higher;
• SDL 1.2.7 or higher (this graphics library is typically called libsdl or similar).
Note: To be precise, these packages are only required if you want to run the
VirtualBox graphical user interfaces. In particular, VirtualBox, our main
graphical user interface, requires both Qt and SDL; VBoxSDL, our simplified
GUI, requires only SDL. By contrast, if you only want to run the headless
VRDP server that comes with VirtualBox, neither Qt nor SDL are required.
So I want to use the VB GUIs and have default LM packages installed. I looked at Synaptic Package Manager and saw that libsdl1.2debian is installed by default, so I'm assuming I'm good on the SDL prereq above (please let me know if I'm wrong!).

BUT doing a search for Qt within Synaptic shows none of the search results as being installed by default... do I need to install one of these to meet the VB prereq listed above??
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: VirtualBox 1.6.2 on Linux Mint 5 R1

Post by Husse »

Unless it's changed from Daryna you are good to go
I have a virtualbox in Daryna and did not need to install something extra
What you need to do is to add virtualboxusers - see the VB documentation for that - there are also several posts about that in the forum
winterfresh
Level 1
Level 1

Post by winterfresh »

great :D

So after looking in Synaptic, since I didn't see any Qt packages installed does that mean Qt is not installed?
Husse

Post by Husse »

Well the development tool may not be installed but applications are produced (if that's the right word) with Qt
Husse

Post by Husse »

You write, I write Qt, but all the time I was thinking of gtk :)
But of course Qt is involved in a lot (most?) these days

Return to “Beginner Questions”