No Touchpad tab in Control Center > Mouse

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
daviestar

No Touchpad tab in Control Center > Mouse

Post by daviestar »

Hey

I am trying to set up Two-Finger Scrolling for my Synaptics Touchpad (Windows running MATE Petra through VirtualBox).

There currently is no 'touchpad' tab. I am presuming this is because there is no recognisable driver? I have searched for a way to install a driver via apt-get but can't find anything.

This used to work fine on Olivia, but I can't remember the steps I took to get it working.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Dave
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

I believe you might find something if you search for xorg touchpad

or even this http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/1361
ccornchip

Re: No Touchpad tab in Control Center > Mouse

Post by ccornchip »

Hello,

I am having this problem too. I'm using LMDE on a usb stick for the moment (I'd like to know that the problem can be resolved before installing).
xinput gives me (amongst other things)
↳ PS/2 Elantech Touchpad id=12 [slave pointer (2)]
so I'm guessing my asus x451 has an elantech touchpad.

The above link for pimping up the touchpad has, in the Configurations chapter,
"First of all, mark the following functions in the Touchpad section of the “Mouse and Touchpad” settings: " ... which is a little difficult as our problem is that there *is* no touchpad section of the Mouse settings.

When I use the same usb stick on another laptop, the trackpad tab is there, and works a treat! On *that* machine (an old toshiba something-or-other) xinput gives me
↳ SynPS/2 Synaptics Touch Pad id=11 [slave pointer (2)]

So I'm pretty much convinced it's just a driver that needs to be installed ... but as a noob user, I'm not really sure how to find it.

In any case, I'm already having less troubles with lmde than the windows 8 that was pre-installed on my computer.
ccornchip

Post by ccornchip »

OK, I've found it (well, not me personally, it was on another thread)

it seems that this is due to a bug in the kernel 3.11.such-and-such.
So, the solution is to upgrade the kernel. I upgraded to 3.14.1 using instructions from
http://www.yourownlinux.com/2014/04/ins ... linux.html

Thanks again JeremyB!

Chris
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

ccornchip wrote:OK, I've found it (well, not me personally, it was on another thread)

it seems that this is due to a bug in the kernel 3.11.such-and-such.
So, the solution is to upgrade the kernel. I upgraded to 3.14.1 using instructions from
http://www.yourownlinux.com/2014/04/ins ... linux.html

Thanks again JeremyB!

Chris
I had to look at my other posts to find out why you were thanking me on this one. Kernel upgrades can work wonders on some hardware.

I didn't see anything on the link you posted about using sudo update-grub after upgrading the kernel, I thought that was mandatory and the last time I upgraded the kernel I had to use another command to get it to work, it was grub-install /dev/sda to get it to load my new kernel

Return to “Hardware Support”