Linux Mint 17 codenamed “Qiana”

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
Bejje

Re: Linux Mint 17 codenamed “Qiana”

Post by Bejje »

Nice download speed from http://artfiles.org/linuxmint.com/linux ... //testing/
downloading the RC at 11MB/s :) so basically maxing my 100Mbit line.
BRM BRM

Post by BRM BRM »

NM5TF wrote:waiting anxiously for Qiana to come out....

of my 4 *nix distros, Mint is my favorite one...sleek, fast, & light on resources....

tommy
Hmm, it's not so light anymore.
Mint 15 and 16 used 280-290MB RAM (idle, after boot)
Mint 17 uses 340-350MB RAM...
Both cinnamon x64.
Ubuntu 13.04 and 13.10 used almost 450MB, 14.04 uses 400MB...

Used to be as light as Xubuntu (but better!) now it's heavier. Maybe because it's a RC and not final, i don't know
Bejje

Post by Bejje »

BRM BRM wrote:
NM5TF wrote:waiting anxiously for Qiana to come out....

of my 4 *nix distros, Mint is my favorite one...sleek, fast, & light on resources....

tommy
Hmm, it's not so light anymore.
Mint 15 and 16 used 280-290MB RAM (idle, after boot)
Mint 17 uses 340-350MB RAM...
Both cinnamon x64.
Ubuntu 13.04 and 13.10 used almost 450MB, 14.04 uses 400MB...

Used to be as light as Xubuntu (but better!) now it's heavier. Maybe because it's a RC and not final, i don't know
Most people have 8GB of ram or more now days so it's not really an issue, but even if you only have 4GB it's still not an issue.
BRM BRM

Post by BRM BRM »

Doesn't matter even on 2GB, but it's still heavier (or less optimized) without a known/noticable reason.
Maybe it's cinnamon 2.2?
rockadile
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rockadile »

nobby.uk wrote:yes, the proxy issue is in 16 as well, but at least with 16 you click on, close the window and the proxy settings were active.
With 17RC, they look to drop as soon as you close the Window.
Seems to be working for me. At least firefox can see it when I set it to use system proxy settings.
sloan
Level 2
Level 2

Post by sloan »

Bejje wrote:Nice download speed from http://artfiles.org/linuxmint.com/linux ... //testing/
downloading the RC at 11MB/s :) so basically maxing my 100Mbit line.
Great tip, Thanks. Took less then 3 minutes to download.
This is my Linux distro. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
Bejje

Post by Bejje »

I'm sorry to say, this realease, RC cinnamon 64-bit, has the same issue/bug as Ubuntu 14.04. That is that the whole OS crashes after installing the propreitary AMD drivers. My card is Radeon 5770, but I hear other AMD cards has the same issue.
So sadly I have to use Windows for a while since both Ubuntu and Mint has this issue.

Thats kind of strange though since both is a LTS realease and should be extra stable, but is much more unstable than previous releases dues to this. Guess no one at either Ubuntu nor Mint has tested many AMD cards with the propreitary drivers which should b the case when it's an LTS version.... bad work... back to Windows :(
rosswmcgee

Post by rosswmcgee »

I tried ubuntu 14.04 lts for days and could not get a good install, with many different unusable results, We have three AMD computers, so I am hoping mint

is aware of this and can fix it. I did try adjusting the 304 proprietary drivers on this Maya computer, resulted in a out of range on the monitor, so I had to do

a clean install. Does anyone know if Mint is aware and if so will they fix this? Otherwise AMD folks will be abandoned.

I wonder if the other Ubuntus are the same way? Lbuntu and xbuntu?
Last edited by rosswmcgee on Wed May 14, 2014 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

I guess each machine is different. The proprietary drivers work perfectly with my AMD/ATI graphics chip. Its the default opensource radeon driver that doesn't work well for me. :roll:
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

This is what works for AMD onboard video Radeon chip using Mint 16.

Code: Select all

mint16@mint16 ~ $ inxi -G
Graphics:  Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] RS780 [Radeon HD 3200] 
           X.Org: 1.14.5 drivers: ati,radeon (unloaded: fbdev,fglrx,vesa) Resolution: 1024x768@70.1hz 
           GLX Renderer: N/A GLX Version: N/A
I had been using fglrx and it was working fine, but after some mint update or my update of Virtual Box, I had to use F1 TTY screen to uninstall the fglrx driver. Since this default works OK for all I do, I see no reason to try other drivers like the cccfglrx~ driver.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
Bejje

Post by Bejje »

Yes but why release a LTS version that crashes on severl computers? Since this is an RC I've tested i have no hope for the final realease since its a kernel version issue.
Same with Ubuntu. They release a LTS version that isn't working on many AMD cards. If this would have been Microsoft and WIndows, This would have been big news al over the world, Cause Microsoft would never realease a Windows versio with this severe kinds of kerner bugs..

This makes Linux looks bad :(
verden

Post by verden »

I have the RC installed on my 2011 iMac and mid 2013 Macbook air, both are running great with one exception. the camera on my macbook air does not work with a message saying that there was "no device found".
Edit I also had to manually download the wireless driver for the Macbook air.
Last edited by verden on Wed May 14, 2014 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WinterTroubles

Post by WinterTroubles »

This makes Linux looks bad :(
It's usually a case of manufacturers not being willing to allow the open source community access to the code or providing propritory drivers to work with new kernels. It's the manufacturers failing to make work it not 'Linux'.

So maybe it's.. This makes AMD look bad?
BRM BRM

Post by BRM BRM »

Indeed, it's AMDs fault. Intel and nvidia don't have this problems
rosswmcgee

Post by rosswmcgee »

This is the first distro

I have had this problem

with so you are saying

AMlD is at fault for one

release only. Seems

unlikely.
JSeymour

Post by JSeymour »

Just installed 17 Mate 64 over the top of the fresh install of 16 I did yesterday. It was actually more painful than the 16 install, in a way, because it went Tango-Uniform on the Grub install, left /target, and everything under it, still mounted, requiring a reboot and manually remounting everything so I could add mdadm and do grub-install.

I got it going, but this is disappointing. The Live/installer is still not running mdadm, so still no out-of-the-box support for mdraid? This is what the Mint team wants to base the how many next years' worth of releases upon? Really? Debian, I'm told, can do an mdraid install on naked drives. So, too, can Ubuntu. Or so their docs say. So... why is the Mint team apparently removing this capability?

Btw: As per an earlier post: Seems no snappier than 16. Just the opposite, if anything. The boot of Live off of a USB stick is definitely much slower. But it's an RC, so I don't know if that's meaningful.

Jim
rockadile
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rockadile »

rosswmcgee wrote:This is the first distro I have had this problem with so you are saying AMlD is at fault for one release only. Seems unlikely.
If AMD only releases proprietary drivers with no source code, any changes that need to be made to the drivers need to be made by AMD. Whereas, had they released the source code, like other manufacturers have, any changes needed could be made by any developer and released in the distro without having to wait for AMD to get around to it. I am sure it is not on the top of their priority list. So, yes, it is likely.
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

I've just done a clean install of Linux Mint 17/Cinnamon RC (64-bit) over LM 16/Cinnamon on my trusty old desktop PC (Intel Core 2 Quad/8 GB DDR2/Nvidia GT 430 w/1.0 GB DDR3), applied updates and it's running fast and stable...so far. Restored my data, installed my usual apps and no problems. I also installed the proprietary Nvidia driver version 331.38. It screwed up the Plymouth splash screen as usual but that's the only glitch. Otherwise the driver works fine.

I did notice that it's a bit heavier in resources once the desktop appears after login. LM 16/Cinnamon (64-bit) ran about 290 MBs at an idle after login where LM 17/Cinnamon (64-bit) runs around 400 MBs). The Cinnamon process is taking up around 143 MBs at login as compared to LM 16's approximately 68 MBs. Despite this Cinnamon 2.2.9 is faster than 2.0 and certain Cinnamon related items are much faster. For example, start time for Cinnamon Settings is significantly faster than in Linux Mint 16/Cinnamon.

Not too sure why some folks are seeing slow performance especially in the live session which booted very quickly for me even on my older machine which only has USB 2.0.

LM 17/Cinnamon LTS feels polished and mature now and though the Mint X theme is still the default I understand that there was a whole lot of work done to make things stand out and it shows...for me at least.

Not bad considering that Linux Mint 17 RCs haven't been released yet. :)
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
ClutchDisc

Post by ClutchDisc »

I just did a clean install of Linux Mint 17 mate 32bit on my Dell this morning. After using it for the day, I would have to say I am very impressed! Fast, stable. The install went very smoothly, and I was up and running after about 10 to 15 minutes. I haven't had any bugs, and all that I have seen has impressed me. It feels faster than Mint 13 to me. Great job Mint team!!! :D
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

Using Cinnamon 32 bit right now. It's using 500 mb ram but that's with music streaming through the browser. Looks very good. I had the grub issue brought over from Ubuntu 14.04 where using a usb it recognizes the usb as sda and hard drive as sdb. Other than that good so far.

Return to “Releases & Announcements”