Linux Mint 17 codenamed “Qiana”

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
ponack

Re: Linux Mint 17 codenamed “Qiana”

Post by ponack »

So far so good with 17, but I did notice with VirtualBox:

I get an error -1908 that tells me to run /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup

I do so, and get the following:

sudo /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup
Stopping VirtualBox kernel modules ...done.
Uninstalling old VirtualBox DKMS kernel modules/etc/init.d/vboxdrv: 302: /etc/init.d/vboxdrv: /usr/share/virtualbox/src/vboxhost/do_dkms: not found
...done.
Trying to register the VirtualBox kernel modules using DKMS/etc/init.d/vboxdrv: 327: /etc/init.d/vboxdrv: /usr/share/virtualbox/src/vboxhost/do_dkms: not found
...failed!
(Failed, trying without DKMS)
Recompiling VirtualBox kernel modules ...failed!
(Look at /var/log/vbox-install.log to find out what went wrong)
mr_raider
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mr_raider »

vasmakk wrote: Will those upgrades include kernel upgrades too ?
I mean if I install LM 17 now, and some (unimportant) hardware of my machine is not supported by the current kernel (3.13.0-24)...
is it possible to wake-up one day and see a new kernel (3.15.x) and the same hardware supported, after e.g. an upgrade to LM 17.x ?

Thx!
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/LTSEnablementStack

Essentially, the LTSes are slowly becoming rolling distros for 5 years.
mintybits

Post by mintybits »

JSeymour wrote:I got it going, but this is disappointing. The Live/installer is still not running mdadm, so still no out-of-the-box support for mdraid? This is what the Mint team wants to base the how many next years' worth of releases upon? Really? Debian, I'm told, can do an mdraid install on naked drives. So, too, can Ubuntu. Or so their docs say. So... why is the Mint team apparently removing this capability?
Mint uses the Ubuntu desktop installer, so neither support mdraid. The Ubuntu Server installer is different and does support it. Someone ought to prioritise rewriting the desktop installer because it has serious limitations, some defects and there seem to be lots of dual boot with Windows issues. Not a good first impression for newcomers. Grub also needs replacing with something not so user-hostile.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Feedback about issues encountered in the RC please ONLY post those on the blog post with the RC announcement, as that is where the developers gather all the feedback from to fix issues for the final release.

The RC hasn't been announced on the blog yet, so anybody already running it does so without having access to list of know issues that would be listed on that, and without a place to give feedback that will be picked up by the developers.

Please wait till RC is announced on the blog here http://blog.linuxmint.com/
Adelante

Post by Adelante »

I notice the discussion has already started on the monthly thread. Clem is participating. For anyone interested.
goetzkluge
Level 3
Level 3

Post by goetzkluge »

My "Qiana" (32Bit, Mate) on pen drive also works well with my old Eee PC 901. Merci!
JSeymour

Post by JSeymour »

mintybits wrote: Mint uses the Ubuntu desktop installer, so neither support mdraid. The Ubuntu Server installer is different and does support it.
Ah, so that's what it is. Thanks for the clue.

I wonder why the Ubuntu devs think no desktop user could ever care about high availability? It's not as if this isn't discussed all over the forums, for every distro, with multiple HowTos showing people how to manually stuff the setup.
mintybits wrote: Someone ought to prioritise rewriting the desktop installer ...
Thumbs up to that!

Jim
rodrigodk

Post by rodrigodk »

Will reply on RC blog post, but someone can help me?

noveau didn't started after install (live install used software renderer). So no X at all.

So, in recovery mode, i've tried to install nvidia-current and nvidia-current-updates, without luck. dmesg complains someting about license and taints kernel.

My Notebook has a nvidia GT640M WITHOUT intel fallback, with Core i7 3630.

Ubuntu Trusty Desktop installed just fine, with noveau, then installing nvidia through ubuntu control panel. Can use both without issues.
JSeymour

Post by JSeymour »

Adelante wrote:I notice the discussion has already started on the monthly thread. Clem is participating. For anyone interested.
Is that blog moderated or something? I posted a short comment and it never appeared. Thinking maybe I hadn't posted it, I tried posting it again. "This looks like something you already posted" was the response. But my comments are nowhere to be seen.

Jim
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Yes, moderated. Patience :)
JSeymour

Post by JSeymour »

xenopeek wrote:Yes, moderated. Patience :)
Ah, so... we're seeing everything with a (substantial?) "transmission delay."

Thanks for the info.

Jim
usbtux

Post by usbtux »

Hope VNC works with Mint 17 it doesnt work with ubuntu 14.4...
jand

Post by jand »

About the AMD graphics driver problem.

I have a laptop with an Intel HD4000 and an AMD HD 8600M. Nothing worked until I followed the directions from this blog. The AMD drivers work perfectly now but my laptop's fans kept spinning loud for no apparent reason. So I launched the Catalyst control panel (sudo amdcccle) and I selected the Intel graphics card as the one I want to use:

The HD4000 is (still) quite capable for everyday tasks (surfing, HD video, light image editing) and the machine is also super quiet.
NM5TF

Post by NM5TF »

yesterday I tried Mint 17 Cinnamon...loaded fine, but mouse & keyboard were totally inoperable even in live mode...
wifi was detected, but without a keyboard/mouse could go no further..... :(

today I tried Mint 17 Mate...works perfectly so far & even wifi came up with no tweaks needed in live mode.... :D

now to decide to either replace Mint 16 with 17...or put it into it's own partition.... :?:

system specs are :

AMD K8 ATHLON 64X2 DUAL CORE 4000+ CPU @ 2.1GHz
NVIDIA GeFORCE 6150SE NFORCE 430 GPU
2GB DDR2 MEM

tommy
nkoropoff
Level 2
Level 2

Post by nkoropoff »

Installed LM 17 Cinnamon 64 yesterday on a Lenovo X1. All is working great. Just had to patch libfprint to get the fingerprint reader working. Everything else was fine right out of the box. Also tried it on a Lenovo W520 with Nvidia and all is fine.

Neil
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

vasmakk wrote:Will those upgrades include kernel upgrades too ?
I mean if I install LM 17 now, and some (unimportant) hardware of my machine is not supported by the current kernel (3.13.0-24)...
is it possible to wake-up one day and see a new kernel (3.15.x) and the same hardware supported, after e.g. an upgrade to LM 17.x ?
Likely yes. The way kernels are handled in the updater has already been revised (as of Mint 16). Ubuntu's kernel updates in previous Mint releases were hidden as a "level 5" update. Now the Mint team can now provide their own kernel updates any time, for 16 and later releases. I have not had official confirmation, but I assume this will happen with the half-yearly point releases.

By the way, LTS editions already have some newer kernels available in Synaptic. In Mint 13, kernel versions roughly equivalent to those of 14, 15 (and 16?) can be found there, for manual installation. That means, Linux 3.5, 3.8 and 3.11.
So, even if Mint does not yet provide an updated kernel, you should be able to find the kernel versions used in Ubuntu's half-yearly releases there. Also, it is easy to upgrade your kernel yourself using this how-to: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=40185

As you see there are a lot of possibilities to get newer hardware working. But I am quite sure the Mint team will provide newer kernels easily with future releases.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

installed Mint 17 Cinnamon on two machines here. Both working fine except on one the time would not set had to set it with the terminal. Other than that they both seem to be doing very well. Going to be a good one.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
beachgardener
Level 3
Level 3

Post by beachgardener »

Firstly thank you very much for LinuxMint 17 and the eventual on going upgrades for 17.1 and 17.2, much apprerciate your work.
Now the Mint team can now provide their own kernel updates any time, for 16 and later releases.
I see the kernel upgrades too, flagged as security updates, no worries, but i ask, should i revert to nouveau drivers first, install kernel updates, then re-instate nvidia drivers? or just install kernel and all will be well?
Thanks, regards beachgardener.
Linux Mint 20.0 Cinnamon - 64bit
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

beachgardener wrote:but i ask, should i revert to nouveau drivers first, install kernel updates, then re-instate nvidia drivers? or just install kernel and all will be well?
I don't know about nvidia, but I did those security updates without removing the ATI proprietary driver and had no problem on reboot.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
beachgardener
Level 3
Level 3

Post by beachgardener »

tdockery97 wrote:
beachgardener wrote:but i ask, should i revert to nouveau drivers first, install kernel updates, then re-instate nvidia drivers? or just install kernel and all will be well?

I don't know about nvidia, but I did those security updates without removing the ATI proprietary driver and had no problem on reboot.
Ahh, thanks for that, i guess it would be much like my Ubuntu install the kernel updates go ok with nvidia installed on that, i will give it a go, i just remember ages ago when i was on openSuse back to 9.1 and then 10, 11, we had a certain procedure to put kernel updates in.
Thanks, regards Ken

edit: all worked splendidly well, i'm happy that we can now keep up with kernel security updates, cheers :)
Linux Mint 20.0 Cinnamon - 64bit

Return to “Releases & Announcements”