Problems with the Intallation of Linux13Xfce

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Carlos_BG

Problems with the Intallation of Linux13Xfce

Post by Carlos_BG »

Hello,
I'm a new user of linux sistems. I've run on my laptop a LiveDVD whith Linux Mint 13 Xfce and the SO runs properly fron the CD, but when I click on the Install Linux 13 Icon nothing happens, the computer seems to be traying to open the installation setup but nothing happens. I've download the iso from Linux Mint webpage and I've tried to run it from an USB and a DVD with the same problem.

My laptop is an Acer TravelMate 4500 whit an Intel centrino CPU and 1 GB of RAM.

I'd like to have some help frome you.

Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
gold_finger

Re: Problems with the Intallation of Linux13Xfce

Post by gold_finger »

Not sure if your problem is same as what others (including myself) found with Mint 13 installs.
Carlos_BG wrote:but when I click on the Install Linux 13 Icon nothing happens
What I have seen happen is the install gets stuck after you enter the first few screens of install information. What you seem to be saying is that it does not even start the install process. So, I don't know if your problem is something different from the one I've seen.

The solution to what I faced was to uninstall the installation program's slideshow program. It would cause a failure to install on some people's computers. Try doing that before you double-click the "Install" icon on the desktop and maybe that will also solve your problem.

*** Boot your live DVD/USB
*** Open a terminal: Menu -> Accessories -> Terminal
*** Copy and paste the following into it and hit enter:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get remove ubiquity-slideshow-mint
*** When it finishes, close the terminal window.
*** Double-click the "Install" icon on the desktop and see if installing works now.

Good luck!
Carlos_BG

Post by Carlos_BG »

Thanks, but I've traid what you had told me and I stil have the same problem. When I double-click on the icon nothing happens.
gold_finger

Post by gold_finger »

Carlos_BG wrote:Thanks, but I've traid what you had told me and I stil have the same problem. When I double-click on the icon nothing happens.
That's strange!

Try doing it thru the menu: Menu -> System -> Install Linux Mint
Carlos_BG

Post by Carlos_BG »

gold_finger wrote:
Carlos_BG wrote:Thanks, but I've traid what you had told me and I stil have the same problem. When I double-click on the icon nothing happens.
Try doing it thru the menu: Menu -> System -> Install Linux Mint
I've tried it before with the same results. I'm very confused because I've tried the LiveDVD with a newer laptop and it opens the installation asistant with no problems, so is not a problem of the DVD.

My computer is quite old: an Acer Travelmate 4500 with Intel Centrino 1,6 GHz CPU and 1 GB RAM, but I can't undesrtand why I can't open the installation assistant if the rest of the SO works very well from the DVD.

Maybe is better for me to trie another Linux Mint version?? I only can use Linux Mint 13 or older versions because my computer has a non-PAE CPU.
Carlos_BG

Post by Carlos_BG »

I've tried with Linux Mint 13 Mate and I have the same problem, the SO works properly from the USB or DVD but is impossible to open the installation setup. Then I've tried with xubuntu 12.04 (I want linux mint, but I tried it too) and I have exactly the same problem...
In all cases with the same DVD in another computer the installation program opens with no problems, but not in the ACER.
rkmugen

Post by rkmugen »

I've never ran into this problem myself... but then again, I've only ever had to re-install Mint 13 XFCE after failing with Mint 14 through 16.

Anyway, this is just an idea you could try out... :
  • Are you able to open up a Terminal window after booting from the burned DVD or USB? You could possibly try to manually launch the installer from there... any errors that occurs should automatically be spit out into the terminal. If you get any, post it back here and let's see what's really going on. The only thing though is that you'll have to figure out the actual directory that the installer (or the shortcut to the installer) resides in to launch it. And if you do find it and try to launch it through the terminal, you might have to begin the command by typing 'sudo' before it.
Laugh2
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Laugh2 »

I am having the same problem (re)installing Mint 13 from DVD. Strange because I have already installed Mint 13 from this DVD onto this Acer laptop before! It is the same DVD and laptop I used for the following posting:

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 6&t=142575

After selecting "Install Linux Mint" a little spinning disc appears for 45 seconds then disappears without any further activity, windows, or anything. In System Monitor the CPU goes for short time to 100% then drops to below 20% and stays there.

The only difference this time is that I have installed Windows XP afresh from the laptop's original CD's (then updated, etc) and wanted to install Mint 13 as dual boot, which is now not working. I also tried the suggestions above without success. Perplexing. :?:

Details:
Acer Travelmate 2300 with Intel Celeron M 340 CPU with 1.5GB RAM
Integrated Intel 82852/855GM Integrated Graphics Device
desired re-install: Linux Mint 13 Maya (32 bit) MATE
In Task Manager it says: LinuxMint, Release 13 (maya), Kernel 3.2.0-23-generic
Laugh2
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Laugh2 »

A few days on and I have found the problem. I had removed the battery because it was old and not only it didn't hold charge but was so bad that it started causing instability, presumably due to voltage drop resulting from excessive power drain. But I digress ...

I put the old battery back into the laptop and voila! It works. :D It appears that the empty battery compartment caused the installer for Linux Mint 13 to crash. I have now installed Mint 13(32bit) MATE from a USB stick as dual boot to the existing Windows XP, no problems with the old battery in place.

Whether this solves Carlos_BG's problem I can't say. Is his laptop's battery installed?

PS: this Laptop won't run Mint 16 Petra due to the CPU, so presumably it also won't support the next LTS version of MInt i.e. Mint 17, so it looks like it'll be Mint 13 until the laptop finally dies. Pity.

Laptop
Acer Travelmate 2300 with Intel Celeron M 340 CPU with 1.5GB RAM
Integrated Intel 82852/855GM Integrated Graphics Device

PS. The laptop runs on Mint 13 MATE without the battery after installation i.e. battery is only needed for the installation.
udamansam

Post by udamansam »

I am the proud owner of a Linux mint 16 xfce dvd, problems installing. when I open the disk tells me there are 8 files and lists them, so far so good... I click on every single one of them and cant install as live disk, maybe i'm missing something...
WinterTroubles

Post by WinterTroubles »

Hi udamansam

Here, http://www.linuxmint.com/documentation.php, you will find links to the linux mint documentation. Please have a read through the one for your language ( I'm guessing thats english but you never know :lol: ). Pay special attention to the difference between copying the ISO file to disc (won't work) and burning the ISO image to disc (will work), also pay attention to the part mentioning that it is a boot disc (needs to be in drive before you power up) and how to get your machine to boot from optical disc if it doesn't do this automatically.

Hope this puts you on the right track and if you have any more questions please start a new topic (rather than posting in an existing topic about a different release to yours) :)

Return to “Xfce”