Update Elyssa and nothing but black upon reboot

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jaeming

Update Elyssa and nothing but black upon reboot

Post by jaeming »

This was an issue that I just had and sorted out but I thought I would post my experience here to help anyone suffering the same fate:

I updated my recent install of Elyssa through the mintupdate, a bunch of 3's which I didn't really look too closely at. I was surprised there were so many updates since Elyssa just came out but no big deal.
On next boot after the initial Linux Mint boot bar, the screen goes BLACK and nothing would get me out of it except hitting the restart/poweroff button on my computer.
On next boot I noticed I was booting into a new kernel on the Grub menu by default. The old kernel was still there as an option. I guess my kernel got updated on that last update. I figured then it was something to do with X.org not working, and more specifically my Nvidia restricted driver, since I think they use kernel headers which need to match your current kernel.
What to do?
Well, boot into the old kernel version, where everything works, and disable or uninstall your restricted drivers. Restart, boot into the new kernel (should work now, although the video resolution may look funny). Install the driver you just got rid of ( I used Envy to install the Nvidia driver), restart when finished and that should take care of it.
:)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Update Elyssa and nothing but black upon reboot

Post by Husse »

If you have a new kernel you must have added a a level 4 or 5 update....
There is an updated kernel as a level 5 update...
jaeming

Post by jaeming »

Husse wrote:If you have a new kernel you must have added a a level 4 or 5 update....
There is an updated kernel as a level 5 update...
Interesting...
Don't you have to enable 4 and 5 levels in the update settings? I didn't do so. So I wonder hos a kernal update would have snook in?
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MagnusB »

Log in using recovery mode, and change the driver in xorg.conf to vesa. Then run EnvyNG or Restricted Manager again in your new kernel.
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
--Dean Martin
Husse

Post by Husse »

@ Magnus B
I think he just did something like that
@ jaeming
It does not sneak in - have you checked the settings in mintUpdate?
You may have level 5 set as safe, but not as visible

Return to “Beginner Questions”