no sound in Daryna solved

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
calymea
Level 3
Level 3

no sound in Daryna solved

Post by calymea »

Hi, due to a motherboard failure I had to do a forced upgrade on my system. I had sound before the upgrade using ALSA, the set was a Biostar board with an AMD 3800 single core, 1GB PC3200 RAM and a Samsung 400GB PATA drive. I used the on board AC97
sound set up. Worked fine till the board died! The current set up is an AMD 6000 Dual Core with an Asrock board, 2 GB PC6400 DDR2 RAM, 500GB Samsung SATA Drive. Using the on board CM6501 audio, Audio controller is listed as; Standard Open HCD USB Host Controller, DirectX version is DirectX 9.0c. I am using (or trying to use) ALSA, but no joy. Interestingly the same sound set up works fine when I insert a "PC Linux OS" live CD and use the default "Kmix".
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: no sound in Daryna

Post by Husse »

You did not tell us if you use the main or the KDE edition - can make quite a difference
and
Audio controller is listed as; Standard Open HCD USB Host Controller
I hope not - this is - well, a USB Host Controller
Please post the result of lspci (in a Code box)
calymea
Level 3
Level 3

Post by calymea »

Hi Husse, thanks for the reply. I use the main edition. Not exactly sure what you mean by "lspci in a code box"? Thanks, Calymea.
GrayWizardLinux
Level 6
Level 6

Post by GrayWizardLinux »

you could check this too - I had to do this to get sound on my thinkpad:

taken from a post of mine -------

"Ok - I just went into sound again and under default mixer tracks chose pcm - I did this before a couple of times but it never took. Did it this time and it works!!!!!!

from http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Installin ... tsy_Gibbon)_on_a_ThinkPad_R61

Sound

Sound card drivers are loaded out of the box but the default sound device is Microphone for some reason. You can see this by opening up the Volume Control window by right clicking on the taskbar volume applet and selecting "Open Volume Control". Because of this the special Volume buttons will also change the volume of the Microphone. To change this, click on System-> Preferences -> Sound and set Default Mixer Track to PCM."

it now works. I did have sound though prior to this but only adjustable by the icon in the panel - not the buttons.

check this - it may help or it may not even be a fix for your specific situation. Just trying to offer some advice.
Linux Mint - Pure Bliss!
Husse

Post by Husse »

calymea wrote:Hi Husse, thanks for the reply. I use the main edition. Not exactly sure what you mean by "lspci in a code box"? Thanks, Calymea.
I agree that was not quite clear, sorry I'll try to express it better in the future
lspci in a terminal (of course)
Then paste it as Code because if you do that your post does not get so long, "lspci" is partially hidden
As code we get a box you can scroll.
calymea
Level 3
Level 3

Post by calymea »

Code: Select all

lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile 915GM/PM/GMS/910GML Express Processor to DRAM Controller (rev 03)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 915GM/GMS/910GML Express Graphics Controller (rev 03)
00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 915GM/GMS/910GML Express Graphics Controller (rev 03)
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) High Definition Audio Controller (rev 04)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) PCI Express Port 1 (rev 04)
00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) PCI Express Port 2 (rev 04)
00:1c.2 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) PCI Express Port 3 (rev 04)
00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) USB UHCI #1 (rev 04)
00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) USB UHCI #2 (rev 04)
00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) USB UHCI #3 (rev 04)
00:1d.3 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) USB UHCI #4 (rev 04)
00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller (rev 04)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev d4)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801FBM (ICH6M) LPC Interface Bridge (rev 04)
00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) IDE Controller (rev 04)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) SMBus Controller (rev 04)
06:01.0 CardBus bridge: Texas Instruments PCI1510 PC card Cardbus Controller
06:04.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection (rev 05)
06:08.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+ (rev 10)
GrayWizardLinux
Level 6
Level 6

Post by GrayWizardLinux »

thanks Husse - I never knew about pasting code that way.... :)
Linux Mint - Pure Bliss!
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MagnusB »

00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) High Definition Audio Controller (rev 04)
Open a terminal and type in

alsamixer
And check that master & PCM isn't [MM] but [00].
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
--Dean Martin
Husse

Post by Husse »

82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family)
It's not the ICH8 and I'm not sure if the tricks for ICH8 will work - but perhaps you find a solution here
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=205449
The major sound guide
calymea
Level 3
Level 3

Post by calymea »

Hi, still having hassles. Perhaps a PCI sound card may be easier? Can anyone recommend a good, easy to get one that works well? Anything I need to know to set it up correctly? Thanks all.
Husse

Post by Husse »

The new kernel seems to be less tricky with audio hardware.
It would seem so - not that many questions about sound in the beta topic
calymea
Level 3
Level 3

Post by calymea »

Ok then. I know Elyssa is still in beta, but do we have a rough idea when we might see the final release (all going well)?
Thanks.
calymea
Level 3
Level 3

Post by calymea »

Hi everyone, looks like good news. Downloaded and tested Elyssa on live cd and sound works! So hopefully this will solve this issue, yet to try install. Fingers crossed. Thanks.
calymea
Level 3
Level 3

Post by calymea »

Hello, looks like good news. Tested Mint 5 on live cd and sound worked, have now installed Elyssa and sound seems to be working ok. Looking good at the moment, hopefully this a permanent fix to this issue.
Thanks to all.

Return to “Beginner Questions”