Can't see linux machine from windows

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
polarvortex

Can't see linux machine from windows

Post by polarvortex »

I've been spending hours trying to get file sharing working between mint and windows vista.

I was able to see the linux computer in Network on Vista, but when I double click it to see the shared folder(s) it never works, saying I should check my spelling.

Now I edited the samba conf file to try to fix it, and now I can't even see the computer at all.

What do I do?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Can't see linux machine from windows

Post by altair4 »

Now I edited the samba conf file to try to fix it, and now I can't even see the computer at all.
We will need to see what changes you made. Please post the output of the following commands:

Code: Select all

testparm -s

net usershare info --long
Also need to know what version of Mint you are using ( 14, 15, 16, LMDE ? ) and what desktop environment you are using ( Cinnamon, MATE, XFCE, ? )

We may have to reset your smb.conf file to it's default configuration and go through the checklist: Samba Browsing Problems Checklist
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
polarvortex

Post by polarvortex »

I restored the smb.conf file to default, and then changed only 1 thing in it, to make security = share

Now I can see the linux computer again, but when I double click on it, it says Windows cannot access \\MINTCOMPUTER check the spelling

I am on Mint16 Cinnamon.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

"security = share" hasn't been used since Eisenhower was president and in Mint17 the option will be removed entirely since it will be Samba4 at that point.

Still waiting for the output of:
testparm -s
net usershare info --long
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
polarvortex

Post by polarvortex »

I thought that was to see what changes I made. But I reverted the changes and only changed security.

Anyhow, now I have reverted that too, and my smb.conf is all default and untouched. After that change, the linux computer isn't even visible on Vista.

Here is the output of testparm -s

$     testparm -s
Load smb config files from /etc/samba/smb.conf
rlimit_max: increasing rlimit_max (1024) to minimum Windows limit (16384)
Processing section "[printers]"
Processing section "[print$]"
Loaded services file OK.
Server role: ROLE_STANDALONE
[global]
	server string = %h server (Samba, Ubuntu)
	encrypt passwords = No
	map to guest = Bad User
	obey pam restrictions = Yes
	pam password change = Yes
	passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
	passwd chat = *Enter\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *Retype\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *password\supdated\ssuccessfully* .
	unix password sync = Yes
	syslog = 0
	log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
	max log size = 1000
	dns proxy = No
	usershare allow guests = Yes
	panic action = /usr/share/samba/panic-action %d
	idmap config * : backend = tdb

[printers]
	comment = All Printers
	path = /var/spool/samba
	create mask = 0700
	printable = Yes
	print ok = Yes
	browseable = No

[print$]
	comment = Printer Drivers
	path = /var/lib/samba/printers
And net usershare info --long

$ net usershare info --long
[Videos]
path=/home/me/Videos
comment=
usershare_acl=S-1-1-0:F,
guest_ok=y
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

Edit smb.conf and:

[1] Find the line:
encrypt passwords = No
And change No to Yes:
encrypt passwords = Yes
Note: Even though your share allows guest access the client is sending some form of credentials to the server and it must be through a secure channel or else access is denied.

[2] Right below the workgroup line add the following line:

name resolve order = bcast host lmhosts wins
Then save smb.conf and restart samba in this order:

sudo service smbd restart

sudo service nmbd restart
Note: Every time samba is restarted it takes a while for the network to settle down before browsing works again so give it a few minutes before testing.

There may be other issues that are interfering with all this so take the time to follow the checklist:
HowTo: Samba Browsing Problems Checklist : http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 46&start=0
polarvortex

Post by polarvortex »

Ok I did those things and checked over the whole Samba Browsing Problems Checklist thread.

Everything is set up according to that, except for one thing, when I check it with nmap, the windows computer does not have 138/udp open|filtered netbios-dgm Is that a problem?

I am now able to see the windows computer, and browse its shares from the linux computer.

From the windows computer I can see the linux computer in the list of computers on the network, but when I double click on it it says Windows cannot access \\MINTCOMPUTER check the spelling.

The computers can ping each other by IP, but not by hostname.

When I do smbtree it says like:

WORKGROUP
\\MINTCOMPUTER
\\WINCOMPUTER
\\WINCOMPUTER\C$ Default share
\\WINCOMPUTER\D$ Default share
\\WINCOMPUTER\testshare

But when I go to network Mintcomputer in Nemo, I can see a couple folders I am sharing, so it seems odd that they are not listed by smbtree?
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

[1] Please post the output of the testparm command again:

testparm -s
[2] Make sure samba itself is working by accessing the mint machine by ip address. Bring up Run in vista and access the mint machine directly:

\\192.168.0.100\videos
Changing 192.168.0.100 to the correct ip address for the machine.

[3] Did you try to disable the firewall on Windows completely to see if it's still in the way?
polarvortex

Post by polarvortex »

Had the computers off overnight. Today in nemo and windows explorer, each computer can't see the other one at all anymore. :? Normally in nemo when I click on Network I can see the windows computer. Now it only has the folder "Windows Network". That folder is always there. When I double click it it doesn't work though (today. yesterday it worked fine).

testparm output:

~ $     testparm -s
Load smb config files from /etc/samba/smb.conf
rlimit_max: increasing rlimit_max (1024) to minimum Windows limit (16384)
Processing section "[media]"
Processing section "[printers]"
Processing section "[print$]"
WARNING: The security=share option is deprecated
Loaded services file OK.
Server role: ROLE_STANDALONE
[global]
	server string = %h server (Samba, Ubuntu)
	security = SHARE
	map to guest = Bad User
	obey pam restrictions = Yes
	pam password change = Yes
	passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
	passwd chat = *Enter\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *Retype\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *password\supdated\ssuccessfully* .
	unix password sync = Yes
	syslog = 0
	log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
	max log size = 1000
	name resolve order = bcast host lmhosts wins
	dns proxy = No
	usershare allow guests = Yes
	usershare owner only = No
	panic action = /usr/share/samba/panic-action %d
	idmap config * : backend = tdb

[media]
	comment = media
	path = /media/share
	read only = No
	guest ok = Yes

[printers]
	comment = All Printers
	path = /var/spool/samba
	create mask = 0700
	printable = Yes
	print ok = Yes
	browseable = No

[print$]
	comment = Printer Drivers
	path = /var/lib/samba/printers
It does say "WARNING: The security=share option is deprecated", perhaps that is an issue?

When I try \\192.168.0.100\videos (changing it for correct ip) from windows, either in the run box or in the location bar in windows explorer, nothing happens. Then 20 seconds later it comes up with the same old network error saying it can't access it, telling me to check the spelling.

I disabled the windows firewall completely, and I still can't connect to the mint share from windows. However, when I went back to the mint computer, I was now able to double click on the windows network folder and see all the computers. If I go into the mint one, I can see the shares (when I am on the mint computer I mean). And I could access the windows share (but that's nothing to do with the firewall, I was able to access it even better yesterday) The computers still don't show up in Network though.

Then I went back to the windows computer and it could see the mint computer again for some reason. But when you double click on it you get the network error asking you to check the spelling.

Then now, as I am writing this, minutes later, I can go into the Windows Network folder in nemo, but it's empty now. (shrug)

The windows shared folder, which I had previously browsed, is shown in the left panel of nemo, and I can still go to it and browse all around - but it doesn't show up in Network or in Windows Network folder.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

When I try \\192.168.0.100\videos (changing it for correct ip) from windows, either in the run box or in the location bar in windows explorer, nothing happens. Then 20 seconds later it comes up with the same old network error saying it can't access it, telling me to check the spelling.
That's a real problem. At this point nothing else matters. That means either:

** samba itself on your Mint machine is broken.
** You've got something else in the way - maybe you've encrypted your entire machine....
** Or these 2 machines are not in the same network - multiple routers perhaps? Or something else.

Boot into the Mint LiveDVD and run in live mode. The Mint LiveDVD runs with a fully operable samba server by default. See if windows can access that machine by ip address ( there's only one share by default and thats print$ which you can't do anything with ). If it can't there's something wrong with either Windows or how your network is configured. If it can then there's is something wrong with your install.
polarvortex

Post by polarvortex »

Ok I tried the live dvd. Everything works perfectly. I can see the computers by IP or Host. Zero problems when using the live dvd.

- I haven't encrypted anything beyond whatever is done by default by mint
- the machines are on the same network
port12345

Post by port12345 »

Thank you all for your valuable information.
polarvortex

Post by polarvortex »

I still need help with this. :|
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

polarvortex wrote:Ok I tried the live dvd. Everything works perfectly. I can see the computers by IP or Host. Zero problems when using the live dvd.
Since you have no problems running Mint from the LiveDVD it suggests to me that there is nothing wrong with the Windows machine and there is nothing wrong with the way your network is configured ( topology ). The problem is with your install. Something you installed or something you configured post initial install.
polarvortex

Post by polarvortex »

So what do I do? Isn't there a way to get samba back to defaults?
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

Except for your insistence on setting security to SHARE instead of USER your smb.conf is at the default setting. You can try to reinstall samba and samba-common but I don't think this is a samba caused problem. I think it's something else. Something you installed perhaps. Some other layer of networking that's interfering with things.

Samba is a relatively simple protocol and only has problems when it tries to browse the network for hosts using Windows' convoluted rules. If you access hosts directly by ip address you've eliminated even that impediment. The fact that you can't do that suggests something else is the problem. I have no idea what that might be.
polarvortex

Post by polarvortex »

Well, I reinstalled samba and samba-common. And I changed security to user. It still didn't work.

I turned off the mint Firewall, and then the next day it worked. It worked fine for a couple days, then I turned the Firewall back on. It didn't work anymore. Makes no sense to me because I have added rules to the firewall to allow all traffic from my windows computer.

Then, after about 20 minutes I thought I'll try to see windows from mint, so I did that, and then I went to the windows computer and now it's working.

I don't understand why it didn't work, then I change nothing, and then it works. I'll leave it the way it is now and see if it keeps working, but I seriously doubt it will.

Return to “Networking”