[SOLVED] remounting the SWAP

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
TANUJMINTLINUX

[SOLVED] remounting the SWAP

Post by TANUJMINTLINUX »

[SOLVED]
Hello!
i am presently using linux mint 16 xfce .
accidently i deleted my swap partition . :lol:
So ,i re -created it using "disks" ,but it does not mounts when i boot i have to mount it manually after i log in .
how can i make it mount automatically when i log in :?:

Please reply faster !
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: remounting the SWAP

Post by karlchen »

Hello, TanujMintLinux.

First of all: A swap device will not be mounted. It will only be activated. The swap mechanism uses the disk device, not a mounted filsystem.
In case you actually mean that swapping is disabled and that you have to re-enable it on every reboot, in this case I could imagine that the UUID of your swap partition has changed, but that the file /etc/fstab still holds the old UUID.
In short words verify and make sure that the details given for "swap" in the file /etc/fstab correspond to the facts.

Sample taken from my /etc/fstab:

Code: Select all

# swap was on /dev/sda5 during installation
UUID=d44a6758-8995-42ed-ac73-e39806848676 none            swap    sw              0       0
Note the word "none" following the UUID. It means "no mountpoint".

HTH,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 762 days now.
Lifeline
TANUJMINTLINUX

Post by TANUJMINTLINUX »

karlchen wrote:Hello, TanujMintLinux.

First of all: A swap device will not be mounted. It will only be activated. The swap mechanism uses the disk device, not a mounted filsystem.
In case you actually mean that swapping is disabled and that you have to re-enable it on every reboot, in this case I could imagine that the UUID of your swap partition has changed, but that the file /etc/fstab still holds the old UUID.
In short words verify and make sure that the details given for "swap" in the file /etc/fstab correspond to the facts.

UUID=d44a6758-8995-42ed-ac73-e39806848676 none            swap    sw              0       0

HTH,
Karl

i could not find directory /etc/fstb .. it is actually /etc/fstab.d and is empty
TANUJMINTLINUX

Post by TANUJMINTLINUX »

TANUJMINTLINUX wrote:
karlchen wrote:Hello, TanujMintLinux.

HTH,
Karl

i could not find directory /etc/fstb .. it is actually /etc/fstab.d and is empty

and yes , something like-
" uuid #@%$^^^& no mount point"
comes written while booting

just clearly tell me what should i do so swap "ACTIVATES" on booting itself and i dont have to mount the swap partition i created after destorying the one at installation
and i just skip it
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

@TANUJMINTLINUX

To do what karlchen suggested in his post:
karlchen wrote:In short words verify and make sure that the details given for "swap" in the file /etc/fstab correspond to the facts.
Run the following command:

sudo blkid -c /dev/null
In the output of that command should be a line with a "TYPE = swap". The UUID of that swap file is probably different from the one you have in /etc/fstab.

If it is then edit fstab as root:

gksu gedit /etc/fstab
Change the UUID number of the swap line then save the file.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.

Return to “Xfce”