Windows Media problem

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
carandol

Windows Media problem

Post by carandol »

I've installed Mint 5 R1 Full, and all the multimedia is working beautifully except streaming windows media. MPlayer shows up in Firefox, says it's connecting, then says "Stopped". It's playing RealPlayer and Quicktime files fine. I tried reinstalling the win32 codecs, but that didn't help. Going through the media instructions for Ubuntu would seem like using a sledgehammer to crack a nut, since all other media are working perfectly, and it would be foolish to mess with it! :)

I did have a problem with Flash too, after installing updates, but I reinstalled that and it's working fine now.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rivenought

Re: Windows Media problem

Post by rivenought »

You will have success or failure depending on which websites you visit and what content you wish to view. Could you give some examples of which content is not functioning properly? Then, some of us can attempt to duplicate, verify, or suggest how to fix it.
carandol

Post by carandol »

Thanks. A good example is the NASA TV page: http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/i ... ram=public The main page showing here doesn't work. If I select Other Viewing Options, RealPlayer & Quicktime work, but Windows Media doesn't. Obviously, this isn't a problem for this site, due to the options, but it's a good place to test different formats in one place!
carandol

Post by carandol »

Problem solved! I replaced the mozilla-mplayer plugin with the mozilla-totem plugin, and all the video's now working fine!
rivenought

Post by rivenought »

That sounds like a really quick and easy fix. After you surf around and test out some of your other sites, I hope everything still works properly. Please post back to let us know if your tweak is a keeper or not. Have fun!

Post by Guest »

I had the same problem. I could fix it by enabling the "gl" video output mode (right click on mplayer -> "Konfigurieren" [German version, I am not sure about the English term...]). Hope this helps

Return to “Sound”