Partitioning 100GB HD and installation...

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
tenfoot
Level 6
Level 6

Partitioning 100GB HD and installation...

Post by tenfoot »

Because of the post installation problems I have had (not being able to access usb drives, cd drives etc - but being able to use the applications to play audio cd and burn dvd/cds), I have decided to do yet another new installation of Elyssa. I have burnt a dvd containing the contents of my Home folder (including hidden files) so hope that this time I will lose nothing.

My computer has 2 x 200GB hard drives (one IDE and the other SATA), and I seek advice as to the best way to partition them. Here is what I would like to do.

IDE drive - partition as follows:
/boot/ext3 (would 100 MB be enough)
/root/ext3 (would 5 GB be enough)
/swap/ext3 (4 GB - I have 2GB RAM)
/home/ext3 (balance of HD)

Note: My present set up also has a partition named "extended". No idea where it came from. Can someone explain, please?

SATA drive
/?? ext 3 (don't know what to name it but would like to use it to for all my music files/image files, if possible)

Now for the questions:

(1) Are there any flaws in what I'm suggesting?
(2) Can I partition both the IDE and SATA drives on one pass through the installation process?
(3) Or would I have to use GParted to partition the SATA drive after installation?

It goes without saying that any alternative partitioning suggestions will be more than welcome.

And a last question.

In subsequent installation of future versions of LinuxMINT, what do I do about the separate Home partition? Do I just ignore it? Will the installation procedure accept that or will it create another Home partition?

These questions must sound completely banal to those with more knowledge but I don't want to get it wrong.

tenfoot
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
idiotkiwi
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Partitioning 100GB HD and installation...

Post by idiotkiwi »

Tenfoot,

Have a look at some of Fred's "How to" s on partitioning etc. Search "Fred partitions" and look in the "How To"s
Very/quite easy to understand.

You possibly don't need a separate boot partition , but as before go with Fred. His suggestion about a data partition (or two) for music and images is great. They mount in 'home' and it means that if you ever have to mess about with your home partition, they are safe.

An extended partition is one designed to overcome the fact that the number of primary partitions is limited.
By creating an extended partition you can have virtually unlimited partitions. You probably just hit the wrong button but came out of it correctly.

The experts will explain this better, but it is daylight for us at the moment.

Regards

Euan
tenfoot
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Partitioning 100GB HD and installation...

Post by tenfoot »

idiotkiwi wrote:Tenfoot,

Have a look at some of Fred's "How to" s on partitioning etc. Search "Fred partitions" and look in the "How To"s
Very/quite easy to understand.

You possibly don't need a separate boot partition , but as before go with Fred. His suggestion about a data partition (or two) for music and images is great. They mount in 'home' and it means that if you ever have to mess about with your home partition, they are safe.

An extended partition is one designed to overcome the fact that the number of primary partitions is limited.
By creating an extended partition you can have virtually unlimited partitions. You probably just hit the wrong button but came out of it correctly.

The experts will explain this better, but it is daylight for us at the moment.

Regards

Euan
Thanks Euan. I'll have a looksee at Fred!

tenfoot

Return to “Installation & Boot”