trouble running SIms 3

Anything related to gaming on Linux Mint including game discussion or questions concerning Steam or Wine.
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
space_jeff
Level 2
Level 2

trouble running SIms 3

Post by space_jeff »

Hi people! I'm brand new to Linux and the forum so I conducted a search and didn't find anything about Sims 3.

I downloaded PlayonLinux and installed Sims 3, but I don't know what to do now because if I open PlayonLinux, nothing shows up in the little window so I can't run it.

A computer whiz I am not, just trying to run the game. The few explanations I read online were way beyond my understanding since I'm so green to Linux.

Suggestions/help greatly appreciated.

Cheers!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
space_jeff
Level 2
Level 2

Re: trouble running SIms 3

Post by space_jeff »

nothing? wow....
wanderer7

Post by wanderer7 »

It seems another user had the same problem:
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 5&p=728219

Note: I don't play games myself (only chess once in a while) so I'm too inexperienced, when it comes to gaming on Mint. :mrgreen:
space_jeff
Level 2
Level 2

Post by space_jeff »

wanderer7 wrote:It seems another user had the same problem:
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 5&p=728219

Note: I don't play games myself (only chess once in a while) so I'm too inexperienced, when it comes to gaming on Mint. :mrgreen:
thanks! odd that it didn't come up in my search...

thread doesn't resolve OP's issue or mine unfortunately.
Booman

Post by Booman »

Welcome to Linux gaming!

Can you play another other games than Sims?
What version of Mint are you using? 32-bi or 64-bit?
Are you playing on a laptop or desktop?

I use PlayOnLinux for almost all of my games, so I can help.

Apparently Sims 3 runs really well in Wine: Sims 3 WineHQs
That is a good start!

Here is a step-by-step guide on running Origins and Sims 3: Bodhilinux Origin
Last edited by Booman on Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Booman

Post by Booman »

forgot to check "auto reply"
space_jeff
Level 2
Level 2

Post by space_jeff »

Booman wrote:Welcome to Linux gaming!

Can you play another other games than Sims?
What version of Mint are you using? 32-bi or 64-bit?
Are you playing on a laptop or desktop?

I use PlayOnLinux for almost all of my games, so I can help.

Apparently Sims 3 runs really well in Wine: Sims 3 WineHQs
That is a good start!
Hi Booman, thanks for the reply.

I don't game on my computer other than the Sims 3. I am using the 64 bit version of Mint on my HP desktop. It's almost 10 years old but it ran ok in windows XP though I literally couldn't do anything esle, haha.

I got it to install, but if I click to open 'play-on-Linux', nothing appears in the run window. If I click the Sims 3 icon on my desktop, it makes like it's going to open and then quits.

Like I said, I'm brand new to Linux and in no way a computer whiz so if you want to get run-time info or specs or anything, you'll have to let me know how to do that.

Thanks again.
Booman

Post by Booman »

No problem, one of these days I need to see how Mint and PlayOnLinux fare on an old desktop.
There are several things that could be a problem.
1. video card
2. 32-bit libaries
3. video drivers

I havn't played Sims 3, but I know its more demanding graphically than the older ones. So depending on the video card/chip you are using, it may not even be able to handle Sims 3.
What video card/chip are you using in your desktop?
Try installing 32-bit libraries:
1. open package manager
2. search for ia32-libs
3. install them
4. Reboot Mint

Depending on the video card/chip, this might be enough, but you may have to install proprietary drivers for your card/chip.
space_jeff
Level 2
Level 2

Post by space_jeff »

Sims 3 ran ok when I had XP installed because I had updated my graphics card for exactly that purpose.

I don't think that is the problem but I could be wrong.

I feel like I'm missing a step along the way to getting it to run is all. Wine isn't proving expecially easy to figure out so I think the problem may lay there.
Booman

Post by Booman »

Linux and Windows XP are completely different. Wine is trying to be an "wrapper" to act like Windows without emulating it. Kinda complicated and I don't understand it myself.
I actually use PlayOnLinux alone because its pretty easy after you get the initial configuration setup.
Here are a few guides on installing games in PlayOnLinux: GamersOnLinux
As you can see, once you setup PlayOnLinux with a virtual drive, some libraries and a version of Wine you want to use, its basically installing the game from there.

I'm pretty sure Sims 3 uses EA's Origins client. This is probably your main problem because the Origins client isn't very happy in Wine and there are still some bugs.
Check out those guides and if you think it seems easy enough to play around with, then do a manual installation of Sims 3.
Let me know if you are using Origins.
space_jeff
Level 2
Level 2

Post by space_jeff »

Origins? What is that? When I did the installation, it put icons for Sims 3 and the EA downloader on my desktop, but not Origins, whatever that is.

I'll check out those links you provided and see if I can make any headway.

Thanks for the replies.
Booman

Post by Booman »

Ah, the veil is uncovered!
EA downloader is Origins. It basically downloads and installs Origins client. Then you have to install or download the game through Origins.
When its done, you can launch it through the client.
The problem is, I can get Origins to run in PlayOnLinux but can't get it to launch any games.
I have tried with Kingdoms of Amalur; Reckoning and Battlefield 3... Just couldn't get them to run at all.

Unfortunately the DRM is handled by Origins as well. So if Wine isn't compatible with whatever they are using for DRM, then your game isn't going to work.
space_jeff
Level 2
Level 2

Post by space_jeff »

Booman wrote:Ah, the veil is uncovered!
EA downloader is Origins. It basically downloads and installs Origins client. Then you have to install or download the game through Origins.
When its done, you can launch it through the client.
The problem is, I can get Origins to run in PlayOnLinux but can't get it to launch any games.
I have tried with Kingdoms of Amalur; Reckoning and Battlefield 3... Just couldn't get them to run at all.

Unfortunately the DRM is handled by Origins as well. So if Wine isn't compatible with whatever they are using for DRM, then your game isn't going to work.
I don't know what this means. Or what you are talking about with "client". I don't game online at all so I don't care if it connects to the internet or not.

The game is already installed on my computer, through PlayonLinux. I went through all the steps it told me to, it just won't actually start the game. And I don't know why.
Booman

Post by Booman »

What I mean is EA has another program that you have to install in order to run EA games. It's called Origins.
If you have heard of Steam, its basically the same thing.
Instead of entering a KEY or License when you install their games, Origins handles all of that legal/non-piracy stuff.
The main problem is that Origins has some bugs with Wine and PlayOnLinux.
There are a bunch of tips here on WineHQ's
They mention using this Wine version in PlayOnLinux: 1.5.28-Origin
space_jeff
Level 2
Level 2

Post by space_jeff »

so I opened Wine and then tried to run Sims 3 and it installed it again. Not sure why. Then it said something about a ghost drive and after that something actually showed up in the selection window of PLayonLinux but when I tried to run it, it crashed.

I can't believe getting a game to run is this hard! it doesn't help that I'm so new to Linux either.
Booman

Post by Booman »

I suggest trying some other games.
I personally stay away from Wine alone. Its a total pain to test different versions of Wine and use the command line to install things.
PlayOnLinux makes it easy...
I'm sure you noticed on GamersOnLinux.com that we have posted over 100 guides on PC games in PlayOnLinux.
So lots of games work, but from time-to-time there is a certain game that just doesn't run:
Bioshock 2
Fable 3
Space Marine
Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood
Battlefield 3
and more... you get the point.

Basically, before purchasing a game, do some research and find if it has a native Linux version, or if it runs in PlayOnLinux (Wine)
I'm a game collector, so I have a lot of Retail games, Steam games, Humble Bundle games, Desura Games and GOG.com games.
space_jeff
Level 2
Level 2

Post by space_jeff »

like I said, the ONLY game I play on computer is Sims 3. Maybe I'll have to hold off until I get a new computer next year. Sims 4 will be out by then anyway.

I thought PlayonLinus WAS Wine, no? I downloaded PlayonLinux and it opens as Wine. I don't know the difference.
Booman

Post by Booman »

No problem, just make sure to get an Nvidia card.
I was just saying that you could "try" another game to see how easy it is to install and run games in Linux.
Drakensang is a really quick-n-easy one.

Yes, PlayOnLinux uses Wine, but its a front-end where you won't need to use a Terminal. The interface is pretty simple and allows you to make changes on-the-fly.
Specially with testing Wine versions. You can download another version of Wine and test it on your game in minutes.
Can't do that in Wine alone.
space_jeff
Level 2
Level 2

Post by space_jeff »

so a friend of mine gave me his old PC that he isn't using anymore as it's a better machine than I was using. He knew I was using Linux so he wiped it and installed Mint on it before he gave it to me.

Anyway, I tried using Oracle Virtual Box to create an XP virtual machine and isntall Sims 3 but it didn't seem to want to work. I think my only option now is to reinstall XP onto my old machine and use it ONLY for playing Sims 3, if I want to go to all the trouble. Sims 4 is out this year so I'm not sure I will.
Booman

Post by Booman »

Yes, XP should run just fine and you can play thousands of games. Maybe not all the newer games, but there are still 30 years of games you can still play in XP.
Just beware the security risks since XP is no longer supported by Microsoft.
Make sure you have an anti-virus installed and stay off the internet.
Don't install Java either.
I recommend playing games with a "limited" account instead of an "administrator" account too.

Return to “Gaming”