Linux Mint 17 Released!!!!

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
EmpireITtech

Linux Mint 17 Released!!!!

Post by EmpireITtech »

And it's finally dropped....hopefully it runs better on my laptop than the RC did :lol:
The next 3 versions will all be based on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS - nice for those wishing to not have to do a re-install every time lol

Release features >http://www.linuxmint.com/rel_qiana_cinn ... atsnew.php
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
WinterTroubles

Re: Linux Mint 17 Released!!!!

Post by WinterTroubles »

LM 17 stable?

Technically.. not actually released until it is announced on the blog (and linked to from a corresponding post in the announcements forum here), though if rumour is correct it is available on some of the mirrors already :mrgreen:
Ginsu543

Post by Ginsu543 »

Yes, it is available... I just downloaded it and installed it on my Toshiba Portege R200 over my Mint 16 install. Installation of Qiana went smooth as butter and it works fantastic! Please understand that my Toshiba is going on 9 years old and yet it's actually able to run Cinnamon fairly competently. Believe it or not, Qiana seems even just a bit smoother than Petra was. The only thing that doesn't work for my hardware (this wasn't working in Petra either) is sleep.

Excellent work, Clem et al., and thank you!
konjad

Post by konjad »

Awaiting KDE release. Cinnamon is too unstable, MATE is a dead horse and both are not easily moddable, so I don't like them much. Glad to hear the work is done on those though, because it means KDE shouldn't be far off by now.
wayne128

Post by wayne128 »

konjad wrote:Awaiting KDE release. Cinnamon is too unstable, MATE is a dead horse and both are not easily moddable, so I don't like them much. Glad to hear the work is done on those though, because it means KDE shouldn't be far off by now.

hmm, similar experience like you, cinnamon always crash on my old comps
recently mate gave me one issue, caja opens repeatedly and keep filling up the desktop.. can't stop it until that Power button is pressed
Mal_Hil

Post by Mal_Hil »

I have LM 17 RC installed and working very well. there have been many updates since, both from ubuntu and Mint.
How will we know when the final release is installed - ? is there a command to show the release level and what will the full release be.
konjad

Post by konjad »

Mal_Hil wrote:I have LM 17 RC installed and working very well. there have been many updates since, both from ubuntu and Mint.
How will we know when the final release is installed - ? is there a command to show the release level and what will the full release be.
If you run update it gets to the 'stable' version without any notification. Stable is juz updated RC.
Condorman
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Condorman »

On front page now!

Congrats to the team. So far a fantastic release for me. Couldn't be happier. :)
linux-dummie
Level 3
Level 3

Post by linux-dummie »

I don't know if there will ever be a "year of the Linux desktop." But with almost every Mint release, it seems like we are getting closer to the "year of the Mint desktop."
BlackVeils

Post by BlackVeils »

i'm an xfce desktop person, but having looked at Mint 17 Cinnamon, i'll be switching to that soon, for a few months at least. its extra nice compared with previous versions. and somehow works smoothly with my integrated intel GMA 4500M graphics.
ClutchDisc

Post by ClutchDisc »

This is definitely the best Mint release I've seen yet. I'm looking forward to using this for the next 5 years!
Ginsu543

Post by Ginsu543 »

ClutchDisc wrote:This is definitely the best Mint release I've seen yet. I'm looking forward to using this for the next 5 years!
My experience exactly!
RacerBG

Post by RacerBG »

BlackVeils wrote:i'm an xfce desktop person, but having looked at Mint 17 Cinnamon, i'll be switching to that soon, for a few months at least. its extra nice compared with previous versions. and somehow works smoothly with my integrated intel GMA 4500M graphics.
I have the same piece of [bad] hardware on my laptop but yes - Cinnamon works just awesome! :)

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”