Linux Mint 17 "Qiana" MATE RC is out!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
ClutchDisc

Re: Linux Mint 17 "Qiana" MATE RC is out!

Post by ClutchDisc »

Fuzzy Penquin wrote:Now, I do have one question about the new Update system changes. When I first ran the Update Manager in Qiana, it gave me levels 1-5, some of which were labled as Security and some as Package. My question is, on the Level 5 stuff (which isn't supposed to show up by default, I thought? The box is unchecked in the settings), it was all Security updates: kernal, and some other stuff I can't remember off-hand. Is it safe to install all of the Level 5 security updates, even though Level 5 is supposed to be "(potentially) dangerous/risky"? Or should I advise my Mint users to not touch them due to risk of breaking something? My users are going to be using Qiana for the next five years, so I want to make sure they are both fully updated with current security patches, and extremely stable in user experience. Security is highly important as things change/progress over 5 years, and I really hope a Level 5 Security patch won't break or destablilize the OS and user experience. These are Linux newbies I'm supporting....
I'm not positive, but I'm running Mint 17 Mate on my Dell desktop. I've installed the level 5 updates and never had a problem. However, this isn't my only computer, I actually use my laptop more. So I was willing to take the risk.
Fuzzy Penquin

Post by Fuzzy Penquin »

ClutchDisc wrote:
Fuzzy Penquin wrote:Now, I do have one question about the new Update system changes. When I first ran the Update Manager in Qiana, it gave me levels 1-5, some of which were labled as Security and some as Package. My question is, on the Level 5 stuff (which isn't supposed to show up by default, I thought? The box is unchecked in the settings), it was all Security updates: kernal, and some other stuff I can't remember off-hand. Is it safe to install all of the Level 5 security updates, even though Level 5 is supposed to be "(potentially) dangerous/risky"? Or should I advise my Mint users to not touch them due to risk of breaking something? My users are going to be using Qiana for the next five years, so I want to make sure they are both fully updated with current security patches, and extremely stable in user experience. Security is highly important as things change/progress over 5 years, and I really hope a Level 5 Security patch won't break or destablilize the OS and user experience. These are Linux newbies I'm supporting....
I'm not positive, but I'm running Mint 17 Mate on my Dell desktop. I've installed the level 5 updates and never had a problem. However, this isn't my only computer, I actually use my laptop more. So I was willing to take the risk.
Yeah, same for myself. I have several spare laptops floating around, as well as numerous distro Live DVD's & a USB, so I too am more willing to risk breakage on my own computer because I can easily recover or reinstall if needed. But nobody else that I'm supporting has more than one computer. So if they break something, it's catastrophic for them. And plus, I just want them to have a good experience with Linux in general, so that they don't feel like they "shouldn't have done this" by leaving Windows.

Maybe Clem can chime in on this, or somebody close to the situation (a dev?)?? Is a Level 5 Security update as safe as any Level 1 update? Can I advise my users to go ahead and install them, but avoid the Level 5 Package (or kernal?) updates? Or maybe there's no difference, and both are just as risky?
Hitchhiker

Post by Hitchhiker »

Hitchhiker wrote:I can't get a Mint 17 MATE 32 bit iso to boot.

I've downloaded it two times now.

I've tried on several computers.

All the other Mint 17 iso's boot just fine.

Is there a trick to getting a, "good" Mint 17 MATE 32 bit DVD to be bootable?
Well I finally got a working Mint 17 MATE 32 bit iso. I downloaded it a third time. This time from Belgium and burned the DVD at 4X instead of 8X.
turtlebay777

Post by turtlebay777 »

I'm glad you've managed it, though myself I always use the torrent download method which always give a clean iso.Something you might want to try in the future? Transmission which is installed already on every Mint does the business for you.
mweishaa

Post by mweishaa »

MATE and CINNAMON x86 and amd64 - "Approved for Stable release" on the iso page 12 hrs ago... http://community.linuxmint.com/iso

But no announcement, no mirrors updated. ?!
I am just eager to check it out and am waiting for the stable version.
(actually waiting for the XFCE version for my main PC which is still on Olivia)
WinterTroubles

Post by WinterTroubles »

mweishaa

The page you link to shows the actual point at which testing has reached, once a release has been approved Clem and the team (or should that be the minty heroes :D ) still have to write the release announcement, ensure that all the mirrors are updated and various other tasks before the actual release can happen and announcements be published. Deep breath.. Won't be long now, these things just take a little time :)
Trapper
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Trapper »

Check the mirrors. The final releases are in many now.
ClutchDisc

Post by ClutchDisc »

Trapper wrote:Check the mirrors. The final releases are in many now.
Downloading from here, thanks.
mweishaa

Post by mweishaa »

Awesome! Thanks... now I have to wait for XFCE version, unless I get impatient and just install MATE version and then XFCE. :)
Mazate

Post by Mazate »

Has anyone seen any of the no-codec versions on any of the mirrors?
fireball

Post by fireball »

ClutchDisc wrote: Downloading from here, thanks.
installed it yesterday night all works great sto far, the only problem is it wont shutdown, it starts the sequence but it just shows the mint long and then it freezes there
Trapper
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Trapper »

fireball wrote:
installed it yesterday night all works great so far, the only problem is it wont shutdown, it starts the sequence but it just shows the mint long and then it freezes there
Is this MATE or Cinn? I ask because I've experienced the same with MATE 64-bit. I also am having startup difficulties with a full disk encryption setup with MATE. Correct password goes okay but the startup process begins but doesn't complete. The FDE password screen reappears. I can make it disappear by simply pressing enter a couple of times and then startup completes okay. Neither of these problems in MATE were present in the RC. Neither is present here in Cinn. either.
Last edited by Trapper on Sat May 31, 2014 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
JSeymour

Post by JSeymour »

Hmmm... I saw that "won't shut down" thing the other night. Tried to shut down from the login screen, went black, hung. Mint 17 RC MATE 64-bit. Custom built machine running an Asus Z87-A mobo, Intel i5 (Haswell) and Intel 530 series SSDs (mirrored w/mdraid).

Hit the machine's reset button, logged in and shut down from there, no problem.

Jim
ClutchDisc

Post by ClutchDisc »

Shut down is working fine for me on Mint 17 mate 32 bit.
fireball

Post by fireball »

also have problems with my logitech m525 wireless mouse, it moves in steps its not smooth, youtube videos arent runing smooth eather. i guess that its a problem with the drivers of the graphics card (radeon hd6650m). well try to solve it and post the solution if i find it.

p.s. will post my problems in the relese note for the stable version and on the community blog

EDIT: i think the drivere change fixed the graphics problems (mouse and youtube)
Trapper
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Trapper »

ClutchDisc wrote:Shut down is working fine for me on Mint 17 mate 32 bit.
I simply reinstalled LM17 MATE 64-bit. Now my shutdown problems and my FDE startup difficulties have all disappeared. I don't know why. :)
ZenBeam
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ZenBeam »

Fuzzy Penquin wrote:
ClutchDisc wrote:
Yeah, same for myself. I have several spare laptops floating around, as well as numerous distro Live DVD's & a USB, so I too am more willing to risk breakage on my own computer because I can easily recover or reinstall if needed. But nobody else that I'm supporting has more than one computer. So if they break something, it's catastrophic for them. And plus, I just want them to have a good experience with Linux in general, so that they don't feel like they "shouldn't have done this" by leaving Windows.

Maybe Clem can chime in on this, or somebody close to the situation (a dev?)?? Is a Level 5 Security update as safe as any Level 1 update? Can I advise my users to go ahead and install them, but avoid the Level 5 Package (or kernal?) updates? Or maybe there's no difference, and both are just as risky?
Is there an answer for this? I'm on Cinnamon, but I'm wondering the same thing, whether I should install the Level 5 security updates.
Brahim Salem

Post by Brahim Salem »

Thanks for removing the ugly minimize effect and fixing " use compositing" :D Now I run exclusively Linux Mint 17. I have removed Ubuntu and now I have a dual-boot of Linux Mint 17 Cinnamon and Linux Mint 17 Mate and I think I'll be happy until 2019 :D :D
J_D_

Post by J_D_ »

fireball wrote:
installed it yesterday night all works great sto far, the only problem is it wont shutdown, it starts the sequence but it just shows the mint long and then it freezes there

I had that shut down problem after updating my laptop. I tried to instalI all the updates in one download. I reinstalled17 MATE and its all good, then did the updates one at a time. No problems.
Fuzzy Penquin

Post by Fuzzy Penquin »

:?: Bump on this. I'm hesitating to install Qiana until I know what to do with these Level 5 Security updates I found in the RC while in VirtualBox. I still need to ready my newbie users for this, and need to know what to tell them about these. Looks like others here are wondering, as well.

ClutchDisc wrote:I'm not positive, but I'm running Mint 17 Mate on my Dell desktop. I've installed the level 5 updates and never had a problem. However, this isn't my only computer, I actually use my laptop more. So I was willing to take the risk.
Fuzzy Penquin wrote:Yeah, same for myself. I have several spare laptops floating around, as well as numerous distro Live DVD's & a USB, so I too am more willing to risk breakage on my own computer because I can easily recover or reinstall if needed. But nobody else that I'm supporting has more than one computer. So if they break something, it's catastrophic for them. And plus, I just want them to have a good experience with Linux in general, so that they don't feel like they "shouldn't have done this" by leaving Windows.

ZenBeam wrote:Is there an answer for this? I'm on Cinnamon, but I'm wondering the same thing, whether I should install the Level 5 security updates.

Return to “Releases & Announcements”