Kernel update borked my on-board sound

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
frderek1

Kernel update borked my on-board sound

Post by frderek1 »

I spent (most of) yesterday upgrading from Mint 4 to 5r1.

All went well until I let mint updater download and install 154 (FFS!) updates. Now my on-board sound (geforce2, so nothing new or fancy) is not recognized. If I boot the old (i.e. original) kernel it works fine. Is this a mint issue or an ubuntu one? Is it a known issue? to whom do I file a bug report?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Kernel update borked my on-board sound

Post by Husse »

If you had a kernel update you must have updated level 4 and/or 5 which is not recommended
Sure it fixes a security problem which however is no problem for most of us....
It is to be expected that updating the kernel breaks something and you may have to reinstall some driver
However geforce2 is not a sound card - it's a graphics card....
frderek1

Post by frderek1 »

Sorry, my bad, nForce2 is the chipset, the sound is AC97.

No, I haven't upgraded anything 4/5 -default settings in use (1-3 only) in mintUpdate.

I have 'solved' the problem for the moment by changing the default boot from 0 to 2 :D

Bug report filed to ubuntu.
rivenought

Post by rivenought »

I spent (most of) yesterday upgrading from Mint 4 to 5r1
Did you perform a clean-install of Mint 5? Or, did you do one of those dist-upgrades? That might make a difference in your resulting stability.

There are also some differences in how sound is handled in Mint 4 versus Mint 5. The massive amounts of updates are not unusual for a fresh-install. That just means the distro is very active.

You may wish to open and verify your volume control settings. I am still a bit shy of the Pulse Audio, but I am reading up on it. Good luck, and please post back with your progress.
frderek
Level 1
Level 1

Post by frderek »

clean install, everything worked out of the box - until I ran mintUpdate

volume control doesn't work as 'no sound card was detected'

Return to “Hardware Support”