Linux Mint 17 "Qiana" MATE is out!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Linux Mint 17 "Qiana" MATE is out!

Post by clem »

/dev/urandom

Re: Linux Mint 17 "Qiana" MATE is out!

Post by /dev/urandom »

Updating ed2k/Kad mirror, thanks! :)
Brahim Salem

Post by Brahim Salem »

another masterpiece of yours Linux Mint team!! Congrats :D :D I can sense new partners in the air :D
fireball

Post by fireball »

upgraded asap :)
have some problems tho... the shutdown procedure doesnt end, it shows the mint logo and stops there spining my hdd as crazy
also have problems with my logitech m525 wireless mouse, it moves in steps its not smooth, youtube videos arent runing smooth eather. i guess that its a problem with the drivers of the graphics card (radeon hd6650m). well try to solve it and post the solution if i find it.

EDIT: i think the drivere change fixed the graphics problems (mouse and youtube)
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

Been using it since the RC first came out and it has been very solid. Thanks for a great Mint LTS release!
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

Congrats to the Development Team Great release. ;)
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
TheKernel

Post by TheKernel »

Well it is good to see the new LM17 Qiana released but it looks like I will have to stick with LM16 Petra. As advised elsewhere and in the blog previously when testing tha RC version, because I use my Mint machine as a music hub, I had to try things out using Blueman (no defaultGnome BT in release) and it would not connect my equipment. As the stable LM17 version also has no BT and still recommends Blueman .... then that settles it, its not for me.

It would be nice to know if Mint will eventually deliver the Ubuntu BT once its apparent problems are fixed!
The Dark Side

Post by The Dark Side »

Congratulations for another Great Release, Linux Mint Team !!!! Linux Mint 17 with Mate it's really excellent. Now, waiting anxiously release of Linux Mint 17 KDE. Regards.-
Nicki
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Nicki »

I have return for a while to LinuxMint 16 and now installed 17 Qiana.
It's a pleasure to have such distro. Years ago Mandriva was the worlds best distro and now Mint is taking this place. :)

Thanks to the team.

Nicki
fireball

Post by fireball »

as i said before, i solved the graphic problem (change of driver), the shutdown issues solved by updating all the level 5 updates.

the thing i miss from Petra is that the middle click on the tray bar closes the window, i loved that feature.

otherwise, great distro, so far everything is working great.
turtlebay777

Post by turtlebay777 »

TheKernel wrote:Well it is good to see the new LM17 Qiana released but it looks like I will have to stick with LM16 Petra. As advised elsewhere and in the blog previously when testing tha RC version, because I use my Mint machine as a music hub, I had to try things out using Blueman (no defaultGnome BT in release) and it would not connect my equipment. As the stable LM17 version also has no BT and still recommends Blueman .... then that settles it, its not for me.

It would be nice to know if Mint will eventually deliver the Ubuntu BT once its apparent problems are fixed!
Isn't Deluge (which is in the repos) similar to Gnome BT? https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BitTorrent

As support for Mint 16 ends soon (September) you'd be well advised to install Mint 13 which is the previous LTS version and which is supported for another three years.

Mints 14, 15, and 16 were short support, interim distros.
Terryphi
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Terryphi »

Can someone please clarify the LTS strategy. I understand that Linux Mint MATE 17 is a LTS version supported until 2019.

I am currently using LM MATE 13 which is a LTS version supported until 2017. Will there be a new LTS version in 2017 to replace this?
Version: LM 21.3 64bit Mate "If something is worth doing, it is worth doing for free."
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

Terryphi wrote:Can someone please clarify the LTS strategy. I understand that Linux Mint MATE 17 is a LTS version supported until 2019.

I am currently using LM MATE 13 which is a LTS version supported until 2017. Will there be a new LTS version in 2017 to replace this?
The next completely new LTS will be Mint 18 in 2016. During the time between now and then there will be three point releases (17.1, 17.2, 17.3) which will be based on the current LTS. So between now and 2017 you can pick any of those and still be using a Mint LTS release.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
szyk

Post by szyk »

You should add to "known issues" problem with no sound, with solution : https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... ug/1319291

I had this bug on my computer and I lost half of day trying to fix it, till I found the solution from above link.
TheKernel

Post by TheKernel »

Thanks 'turtlebay777' for the release advice and I will explore LM Mate 13 as a longer term option.

I also think, because I am still somewhat naive about Linux, that my earlier post is a bit confusing; my problems have been with need to use Blueman as a replacement for the working LM 16 bluetooth, which I ascribed to Ubuntu but I think it is actually Mate bluetooth. Then my abbreviation of bluetooth to 'BT' has been taken by you, quite understandably, as bit torrent!

Still, onwards and upwards.
swaicBebrat8

Post by swaicBebrat8 »

fireball wrote: the thing i miss from Petra is that the middle click on the tray bar closes the window, i loved that feature.
Any workarounds? I really miss this feature :(
swaicBebrat8

Post by swaicBebrat8 »

Looks like a great release. Thanks!
I did hit following situation while adding a PPA which had too long discription and I could not see the buttons. I had to guess and press enter :D. It could be a good idea to add some sort of scroll bar.

budulater
Level 1
Level 1

Post by budulater »

Sorry had to go back to Maya Mate 32Bit.Mint 17 mate didn't like my printer Canon MG 5420 drivers.Trying to suspend took forever to work,when it did come out of suspend I lost my Internet connection(I'm Hardwired).Had to reboot to get internet connection.For now I'll stick with what works for me.
turtlebay777

Post by turtlebay777 »

budulater wrote:Sorry had to go back to Maya Mate 32Bit.Mint 17 mate didn't like my printer Canon MG 5420 drivers.Trying to suspend took forever to work,when it did come out of suspend I lost my Internet connection(I'm Hardwired).Had to reboot to get internet connection.For now I'll stick with what works for me.
http://www.canon-europe.com/Support/Con ... m_drivers/

Canon currently only provides support for PIXMA products and the Linux operating system by providing basic drivers in a limited amount of languages.

These basic drivers may not encompass the full range of functionalities for all printer and all-in-one products but they will allow basic printing and scanning operation.

Linux drivers are not supplied as part of Canon’s installation CD-ROM and these are instead made available via our support area. Please select your product and filter the results based on language and operating system.

Canon does not offer specific after care support for Linux related issues beyond the provision of the initial drivers.
ClutchDisc

Post by ClutchDisc »

What can I say? It's simply amazing. Thanks for all the hard work Clem! It's going to be the OS I use for switching people away from windows. I've already switched a few to Mint 17. Thank you! :D

Return to “Releases & Announcements”