touch screen mint?

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
steveking9174

touch screen mint?

Post by steveking9174 »

I am soon to be undertaking a project at home which is going to require a touch screen compatable distro.

My plan:

build a wall mounted media station using a mini-ATX motherboard, an a nice sized touch screen monitor. All of this will be encased in a nice bit of arcylic and then bolted to my wall :D

The idea is that I will include several USB speakers in the case so it will be playing from the actual media station. This will be very useful, if I can get it to work! It will be very pretty, and quite a feature!

This will be used as a digital picture frame, music player, and possible video player.

How well does Linux Mint handle touch screen devices? Has anybody tried this? I am rather excited about getting this going, and obviously the operating system will be one of the last things I need.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
abnvolk

Re: touch screen mint?

Post by abnvolk »

Linux and touchscreen? I think you should try KDE Plasma Active. It can be installed on Mint x86 http://community.kde.org/Plasma/Active/ ... 86_Systems, or you can try it preinstalled on Kubuntu http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/kubuntu-activ ... 0/release/.
I don't know if Cinnamon, MATE or Xfce have good support for touchscreen devices, but I think MATE, Cinnamon and Xfce are designed to be traditional, so their interfaces may not be suitable for touchscreen devices.
MacLindroid

Post by MacLindroid »

arunarmstrong

Post by arunarmstrong »

cool let me know when you've done that. :D
you_dream_i_dive

Actually,...

Post by you_dream_i_dive »

Hey,

As a matter of fact, I happen to be running Linux Mint on a former Windows 8 PC. It rocks a touchscreen and everything. But to the point, the touch screen works great. Even though the buttons are somewhat small in places, they still work fine. In some programs there's scrolling support, which also is cool.

It's not quite made for touchscreen, but it works out-of-the-box. If you're just going for media, media, media, you'll be absolutely fine.

Good luck!
Barnabooth

Post by Barnabooth »

This is extremely interesting.
Are you running Cinnamon?
Are you dual-booting?
What model laptop is this?

Return to “Open Chat”