Using File System

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dnmint

Using File System

Post by dnmint »

Where can I get a good tutorial on USING different items on the File System. The Manual gives a description only, as per my perception.
Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
miket

Re: Using File System

Post by miket »

Hello Dnmint !
dnmint wrote:Where can I get a good tutorial on USING different items on the File System. The Manual gives a description only, as per my perception.
Thanks
When you say "using different items on the File System" what exactly do you mean ?
Are you talking about different types of file systems, or Volume Management or file priv's ????

Let us know and I'm sure someone will have the answers for you ;)

Mike.
dnmint

Post by dnmint »

I mean when I click on /-file browser I see bin boot dev home etc & the like. If I download a driver or a file how do I assign them, how do I open them or work with them.
It would appear I will need cli skills which at present I am trying to learn
I am 70 but am willing to work hard & learn quick.
I am sure once I ge the knack it will be easy & enjoyable :cry:
miket

Post by miket »

Hi !
dnmint wrote:I mean when I click on /-file browser I see bin boot dev home etc & the like.
Ok, well here's a brief description of these directory structures for you :

/bin - Binaries - This is where many of the executable files or "Programs" are stored. The programs are installed in this directory structure by the installation of application "Packages".

/boot - Operating System Boot Area - This is where you will find the operating system boot loader (Grub) and the actual kernel of the operating system.

/dev - Devices tree - This is where the operating system kernel builds a list of usable devices on the system at boot time.

/home - Home DIrectories - this is where you will find the Users Home Directories ... your home directory will be in this directory !

/etc - System configuration files - In here you will find many system configuration and startup/shutdown control files, go very careful if you edit any of these, the results
can be disasterous !
If I download a driver or a file how do I assign them, how do I open them or work with them.
It would appear I will need cli skills which at present I am trying to learn
I am 70 but am willing to work hard & learn quick.
I am sure once I ge the knack it will be easy & enjoyable :cry:
Well if you use the Linux Mint Package Manager you won't have to do any of the hard stuff as it will do it all for you !
Have a play with the package manager, install a few applications and you'll see what I mean :)
There is also the Linux Mint Software Portal, again it will do all the hard work for you ....

I hope this helps ...

Mike.
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MagnusB »

You shouldn't play with or create files outside of /home :)
Also, take a look at this post, particularly interesting is the image. Somewhat simplified diagram, but it includes the basics.
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
--Dean Martin

Return to “Beginner Questions”