Linux Mint 17 "Qiana" Cinnamon RC is out!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
RenanAR

Re: Linux Mint 17 "Qiana" Cinnamon RC is out!

Post by RenanAR »

What is the difference between Kubuntu and Linux Mint KDE?
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

"Is the stable release of Linux Mint 17 out? "

not officially, maybe on Monday. ..
- it's currently filtering it's way around the 'net.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
SunWorks
Level 4
Level 4

Post by SunWorks »

Where are the torrent links for 17 final?
I see the torrents for 17 RC, but not final.

Thank you.
kitsuneae

Post by kitsuneae »

WinterTroubles wrote:KDE in pre RC testing at the moment http://community.linuxmint.com/iso
That's great to know! Thanks for the link. :)
RenanAR wrote:What is the difference between Kubuntu and Linux Mint KDE?
As best as I understand it, Kubuntu is just KDE on an Ubuntu fork without the GNOME stuff while Linux Mint KDE is Linux Mint (a differnt Ubuntu fork) with KDE as the primary desktop and GNOME applied as a backup for GNOME software like Rhythmbox, Evolution and Gedit. I like Linux Mint KDE as it's the best of both worlds with minimum setup: great for newbies and people still learning (like me).
gael33
Level 4
Level 4

Post by gael33 »

Installed Linux Mint 17 a week ago without any problems and there have been several updates since, each one improving the experience.
I have noticed a big difference in Network Connections, and so pleased that I can now easily connect to the laser printer attached to my Wife's Windows PC (situated in another part of the house) wirelessly. Also, setting up my connection to the QNAS TS-212-E was simplicity itself.
Although there are not many visual differences ... things are easier to tweak and personalize, most of the improvements are unseen but nether the less, massive improvements have been made. In my opinion, this is the best Linux Mint OS developed to date.
A big thank you to all the guys who worked tirelessly on the project, fantastic job, well done.

gael. :)
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
Saor Alba Gu Brath
turtlebay777

Post by turtlebay777 »

jefboyardee wrote:Not much changed, which is fine. Firefox 28 comes in the box, ups to 29 after updater is run. .
Hooray!

Firefox 29 is bloody awful, I made the mistake of upgrading to it in Mint 13!
gael33
Level 4
Level 4

Post by gael33 »

turtlebay777 wrote:
jefboyardee wrote:Not much changed, which is fine. Firefox 28 comes in the box, ups to 29 after updater is run. .
Hooray!

Firefox 29 is bloody awful, I made the mistake of upgrading to it in Mint 13!
Are you going to tell us why you think Firefox 29 is awful?
There are other Internet Browsers out there, try a few of them, you may like one.
I also use Chromium which I would recommend as an alternative.

gael
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
Saor Alba Gu Brath
SunWorks
Level 4
Level 4

Post by SunWorks »

The two issues I have with Firefox 29 are:
  • Forecastfox does not work and has not been updated. That add-on was one of the best things I liked about FF.
  • A particular theme cause FF29 to crash incessantly. Took a while to figure out it was the theme.
Have never had either of those issues before and have been using FF since the get-go.
kitsuneae

Post by kitsuneae »

SunWorks wrote:The two issues I have with Firefox 29 are:
  • Forecastfox does not work and has not been updated. That add-on was one of the best things I liked about FF.
  • A particular theme cause FF29 to crash incessantly. Took a while to figure out it was the theme.
Have never had either of those issues before and have been using FF since the get-go.
Both just mean the theme and add-on developers have not updated their software yet. When it comes to firefox I find that never auto-updating is the wisest move as the software developers who made add-ons almost never are as fast as the Firefox teaam, which means stuff will break. Of course I think this is probably true of any browser that has major updates at all. I just wait a couple months to let developers catch up before I update anything. :)

That said, I don't like firefox 29 for the fact they hid the part that lets you turn off the browser auto-updating. You have to go into config to fix things! Having Mint 17 come with Firefox 28 is nice.

Return to “Releases & Announcements”