Open Ofice won't Start

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Nathan_S

Open Ofice won't Start

Post by Nathan_S »

To many Non-Working applications after Fresh Install: Firefox 3 unstable - closes without any reason, Open Office won't start, Volume Control does not work, Why? How to fix?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Nathan_S

Re: Open Ofice won't Start

Post by Nathan_S »

Also can not run Synaptec, Did system did not install completely ? How to solve ?
rivenought

Post by rivenought »

It is possible that you have either a bad ISO from the download or possibly a bad burn to the disc. You may wish to go back and verify the MD5 on your ISO. Have you put your Live CD back in and tested your same settings that way? Did you have any problems the first time you used the Live CD? Did you burn the ISO to disc at the lowest possible speed? There are many different things that could be the problem.

You may also want to give some hardware specifications so that we can help give suggestions on how to get you up and running. Good luck.

Also, Nathan, please consider registering with this forum. That way you can get private messages and be alerted if anyone posts to your thread. It is free, by the way. :D
Nathan_S

Post by Nathan_S »

Thank's rivenought, as you can see I've been recently registered as you suggested. Regarding your questions on my system:

Download Mirror: University of Crete
ISO downloaded: LinuxMint-5-r1
My System:
Motherboard: FOXCONN 945P7AD/945G7AD
Ram: OCZ 4GM RAM DDR2 667Mhz from
Processor: Pentium Dual-Core E2180, LGA775 pkg 2Ghz. 1MB L2 Cache, 800Mhz FSB
Hard Drive: 40 GB, Install on Full Disk, 7200RPM

The MInt OS, on Synaptec Failure informs on following error:

E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'dpkg --configure -a' to correct the problem.
E: _cache->open() failed, please report.

but does not allow me to run dpkg.

waiting for members suggestions.
rivenought

Post by rivenought »

Welcome to the forum, Nathan!

I typed "dpkg configure" in the Mint forum search box and came up with numerous hits. One of them was http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopi ... ure#p78685 . There are several other threads if you want to read through them for further research. Perhaps one of them will be exactly what you need.

Of course, in the end, if all else fails you know you are able to do a clean-install. Sometimes that is necessary.

I have gotten an ISO from the University of Crete before. Everything worked fine, but I pretty much always prefer a torrent file. One rarely, if ever, gets a bad download via the torrent. That is something for you to consider, as well. I have Mint 5 seeding the torrent right now to help out others who need it. Have fun!
Nathan_S

Post by Nathan_S »

Thanks, I've entered dpkg command before posting but got following message:

dpkg: requested operation requires superuser privilege

What is it ? I'm root, and always enter as root. I usually use password in Terminal, but was not requested to enter password. Why ?

Any way, I think that with all the fuss it will be easier to backup and do a fresh install, see if everything works, and then read further in the forum regarding the dpkg error, it reminds me something I had earlier with Hardy, so will check also at Ubuntu.
Nathan_S

Post by Nathan_S »

Fresh install Failed, afraid HD damaged somehow during installtion, don't know how. Appreciate any help people, loosing my mind, don't want to return to windows, but if windows installation works, will need some more info on possible reasons for problem, and would recommand testing further Live CD, Kernel, or hardware support with R1 by other members of the community because I'm probably doing something wrong.
Nathan_S

Re: Open Ofice won't Start [SOLVED]

Post by Nathan_S »

Succeded in Fresh Install - Fixed. Splash screen changed, does not bother much.

Return to “Software & Applications”