Root password live USB [SOLVED]

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
DaTorbiera

Root password live USB [SOLVED]

Post by DaTorbiera »

Hello,

The other day I created a live USB with Mint 16 Xfce with persistence. Works like a charm. I set up the WiFi, my VPN, the works. I even managed to set up a second user account using adduser.

But now that I'm trying to repeat all of this on another USB, I can no longer run adduser unless as log on as root. But since I don't know the password for root on the live image I'm stuck. Does anyone know what the password is ? All the usual ones don't work.

Many thanks

Michael
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
wh7qq
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Root password live USB

Post by wh7qq »

You don't need the root password. Just do

Code: Select all

sudo su
in a terminal and you will become root. If you must have a root password, you can then do

passwd root newpassword 
(replace newpassword with your choice) but it will, of course, dissappear the next time you boot the live disk. Most commands will work by simply using

sudo
preceding the command.
ssfc72
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ssfc72 »

Doesn't work running mint4win.
After typing in, sudo su, in Terminal, I get a response that the command is not allowed.
WinterTroubles

Post by WinterTroubles »

mint4win
The mint4win Windows installer was not able to reliably handle the size of the ISO images. It was therefore removed and isn't available in Linux Mint 16.
From the release notes for mint 16 xfce :?:

Return to “Xfce”