Major Meltdown!!!

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
darco
Level 4
Level 4

Major Meltdown!!!

Post by darco »

Oh man....LM now reports that my Intel Quad Core only has 1 core functioning!!.....Gstreamer is reporting I have lost my audio!!!..had to reinstall my Nvidia drivers after rebooting and getting low graphics mode message!
Flash aint working in FF nor Opera Final!!! What the heck is happening!!!....They changes I have made recently was adding Conky and VirtualBox..thats it....no updates pending from LM.....
The error message I get when I click on the Speaker w/the red x is:
The volume control did not find any elements and/or devices to control. This means either that you don't have the right GStreamer plugins installed, or that you don't have a sound card configured.

You can remove the volume control from the panel by right-clicking the speaker icon on the panel and selecting "Remove From Panel" from the menu.

Help!
darco
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Fred

Re: Major Meltdown!!!

Post by Fred »

darco,

Usually when an install goes into melt-down, as you described it, it is the result of something you have done, or it is a hardware failure of some sort.

What were you recent activities with the install? Did you install some new programs or drivers? Have recently tried to reconfigure anything?

If the answer to these questions is "no" then I would look toward a hardware failure, maybe heat related.

Fred
darco
Level 4
Level 4

(SOLVED)Re: Major Meltdown!!!

Post by darco »

The issue is resolved....When I installed Virtual Box it kept asking for a -16 generic module. I may have "over done" adding the missing module. I noticed on boot that I had a virtual kernel? What I didnt notice was at the top of the menu.lst was a -16 386 kernel so on reboot it was not the proper kernel for my 4 core cpu. After re-arraigning the .lst, all is good. Im such a newb!

thxs
darco

Return to “Beginner Questions”