Could we have a forum search feature, please?

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
Kurt3162
Level 4
Level 4

Could we have a forum search feature, please?

Post by Kurt3162 »

(Don't know where to post that, so I post it here. Feel free to move it where appropriate.)

Now somebody might feel tempted to tell me there already is such a thing, on the top right corner of the page; Unfortunately it's a fake.
Whatever I ever entered there, the answer has always been a categorical "The words in your search query were ignored because they are too common words". Really?
Well, I'm terribly sorry, I'm searching about Mint- or generally Linux-related features. I sure hope people on those forums were talking about them. :?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
WinterTroubles

Re: Could we have a forum search feature, please?

Post by WinterTroubles »

This is a known problem and your opinion is shared by many to some extent, including those in charge from what I gather. Personally, as I use chrome, I use this extension https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... fombdekjcp which lets me search my current site whether it's got a search feature or not. You can also add

Code: Select all

site:forums.linuxmint.com
to any search query on many search engines to search these forums.

Not a solution I know sorry :( , but it is simple and workable.
Kurt3162
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Could we have a forum search feature, please?

Post by Kurt3162 »

Thanks, my point was more about the bad configuration of the forum search. I know the possibilities and limitations of phpBB for running a phpBB forum myself, and there is no technical reason the search should be broken at this point (except an attempt to keep system resources to a minimum, but in this case they could just limit the number of searches people can make in a given time. Most people just search for a term and then sift through results for quite a while).

Or just just simply tell people "sorry, we can't afford to spend CPU cycles for search, please use Google or some such instead". We would understand, it's not like they make money out of this.

Return to “Open Chat”