HELP: installing mint preconfig?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
holyguyver

HELP: installing mint preconfig?

Post by holyguyver »

(This is a Linux Mint Question, it just takes a bit to get to that point) Now I know that with Ubuntu using Synaptic you can install the pre-configuration for Kubuntu & Xubuntu, Now I am not talking about installing KDE or Xfce I am talking about installing them plus their precongifurations & the other apps in kubuntu. Now my question is from within LinuxMint Xfce CE is there anyway to install the preconfiguration for LinuxMint Gnome/main or LinuxMint KDE CE? (remember I am NOT asking about installing Gnome or KDE, I know I can do that)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Re: HELP: installing mint preconfig?

Post by MagnusB »

What you mean by preconfiguration? And you can't install Mint KDE or Mint Main with Synaptic/APT, you will get Ubuntu/Kubuntu/Xubuntu.
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
--Dean Martin
holyguyver

Post by holyguyver »

I mean like the thing that both installs gnome & tells it to only be one panel with the mint menu on it instead of the normal one, & such like that.
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MagnusB »

There isn't any way of installing Mint from the repositories, you will only end up with Ubuntu. If you want to run more versions of Mint you have to dual boot as of now.
--Dean Martin
holyguyver

Post by holyguyver »

That is not what I was talking about, I was not talking about running more then one version. I was asking if there was any kind of meta package that I could d/l through synaptic to switch me over from LinuxMint4 XFCE to Main, or to KDE version like how you can with Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu in Ubuntu.
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MagnusB »

There isn't, you will have to do a fresh install with the CE you want, or as someone pointed out dual boot. You can install XFCE and KDE through APT, but you will get k/xubuntu.
--Dean Martin
Fred

Post by Fred »

holyguyver,

What you seem to be talking about is a Mint meta package. There are no meta packages for Mint. There are meta packages for (K)Ubuntu and other Ubuntu flavors, but none for Mint.

Hope that answers your question.

Fred
holyguyver

Post by holyguyver »

Thank you, honestly this discussion is reather old as someone told me that in the IRC channel quite some time ago, so when mint5 was released I upgraded to the main edition of that :p . I simply made the resent post above yours to clarify what I was originally asking, & also because I do think it would be a good idea for the Mint team to make meta packages like that for the CEs as well, so that if someone first d/ls one edition, but then later decides that they want to try out one of the others ones, they can simply add that edition through synaptic & use it, & if they don't like it, they can simply uninstall it & they are back to their original. I actually did accomplish this in mint in a way. I installed mythbuntu through synaptic & at the login screen I could choose to log into linuxmint desktop or mythbuntu, & it worked great, although it did turn my LinuxMint main edition into a LinuxMint Ubuntu Hybrid, which was actually pretty cool :p .

Return to “Beginner Questions”