Listing usb devices in my system

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dnmint

Listing usb devices in my system

Post by dnmint »

When I type the command in Terminal 'lsusb' nothing happens, whereas 'lspci' gives a list.
What is it I am missing? :?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Listing usb devices in my system

Post by 67GTA »

That is weird. Make sure

Code: Select all

usbutils
is installed. Try running

dmesg
in a terminal to see if it shows any info on USB. If you look at the output of lspci, it should have an entry like "USB Controller". See if it is recognized. Do any USB devices work in Mint?
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
dnmint

Post by dnmint »

67GTA wrote:That is weird. Make sure

usbutils
is installed. Try running

dmesg
in a terminal to see if it shows any info on USB. If you look at the output of lspci, it should have an entry like "USB Controller". See if it is recognized. Do any USB devices work in Mint?
Thanks.
In lspci USB controller is there.
dnmint@dnmint-laptop ~ $ lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 440FX - 82441FX PMC [Natoma] (rev 02)
00:01.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82371SB PIIX3 ISA [Natoma/Triton II]
00:01.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 IDE (rev 01)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: InnoTek Systemberatung GmbH VirtualBox Graphics Adapter
00:03.0 Ethernet controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] 79c970 [PCnet32 LANCE] (rev 40)
00:04.0 System peripheral: InnoTek Systemberatung GmbH VirtualBox Guest Service
00:05.0 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801AA AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 01)
00:06.0 USB Controller: Apple Computer Inc. KeyLargo/Intrepid USB
00:07.0 Bridge: Intel Corporation 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 ACPI (rev 08)
00:0b.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller

I have rechecked thru Package Manager that 'usbutils' are installed.
In the virtual box when I try to mount webcam I get the following message

USB device 'USB camera' with UUID {c21966a6-d2e6-406b-add9-7cb5cb743228} is busy with a previous request. Please try again later.
Result Code:
E_INVALIDARG (0x80070057)
Component:
HostUSBDevice
Interface:
IHostUSBDevice {173b4b44-d268-4334-a00d-b6521c9a740a}
Callee:
IConsole {d5a1cbda-f5d7-4824-9afe-d640c94c7dcf}

I do not understand what this means.
My usb mouse is working well.
I have downloaded the driver for Philipos Funcam on Desktop pwc-10.0.12-rc1.tar.bz2 ( available from http://www.saillard.org/linux/pwc/files/
I extracted it but not able to install it.
Any advice is welcome. As I use Skype extensively, not having webcam - voice chat would be a problem for my total migration to Mint
Thanks in advance
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 67GTA »

Is Mint installed in a virtual machine? If so, then this changes everything. You should have mentioned this to start with. A virtual machine is not the same as a hard drive install. USB is not supported by default in virtual machines. What virtual machine are you running?
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
dnmint

Re: Listing usb devices in melp?y system

Post by dnmint »

67GTA wrote:Is Mint installed in a virtual machine? If so, then this changes everything. You should have mentioned this to start with. A virtual machine is not the same as a hard drive install. USB is not supported by default in virtual machines. What virtual machine are you running?
Oh Sorry about it. I had posted it in another on Philips webcam
I have XP host & Mint Elyssa guest in Virtual Box.
I went to Settings in VirtualBox & enabled USB .
The listings I sent are with that configurations
Any h
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 67GTA »

You can't get USB support with the virtualbox open source version from the repos. If you have that, uninstall and use this to install and set it up with USB support: http://www.ubuntu-unleashed.com/2008/04 ... heron.html As for installing drivers, you have to compile them from source if they aren't in .deb format. Here is another link to explain anything you ever wanted to know about installing things in Mint/Ubuntu: http://monkeyblog.org/ubuntu/installing/
dnmint

Post by dnmint »

67GTA wrote:You can't get USB support with the virtualbox open source version from the repos. If you have that, uninstall and use this to install and set it up with USB support: http://www.ubuntu-unleashed.com/2008/04 ... heron.html As for installing drivers, you have to compile them from source if they aren't in .deb format. Here is another link to explain anything you ever wanted to know about installing things in Mint/Ubuntu: http://monkeyblog.org/ubuntu/installing/
Thanks for your reply.
A couple of queries:
  • I have Virtualbox 1.6.2 installed in XP.Do I uninstall this version.
    If so, what version I download in XP, as I have to open it in XP to install Mint .iso in it
    If I uninstall VBox wil I also not lose ALL I have done within Elyssa
    The site you have mentioned shows command lines for upgrading, updating it. Do I use thenm within Mint
Would be grateful for advice
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 67GTA »

I didn't see your last post. I assumed you were running virtualbox with Linux as a host. That tutorial was for using Linux as the host. I don't think it is possible to get USB support with XP as a host. You are basically stuck without USB from within Windows on that one.Did you try the webcam while running the live CD? That would be a better way to try it. You will also be able to run lsusb from there.
dnmint

Post by dnmint »

67GTA wrote:I didn't see your last post. I assumed you were running virtualbox with Linux as a host. That tutorial was for using Linux as the host. I don't think it is possible to get USB support with XP as a host. You are basically stuck without USB from within Windows on that one.Did you try the webcam while running the live CD? That would be a better way to try it. You will also be able to run lsusb from there.
Oh I dont know what.. As I restarted my machine & Clicked Devices>USB devices>Webcamera, my camera got mounted.
On lsusb command the Terminal shoes
dnmint@dnmint-laptop ~ $ lsusb
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 0471:0321 Philips
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
dnmint@dnmint-laptop ~ $

Therefore the Camera is now recognized. Now I have to make it functional by installing driver
I have downloaded the driver for Philipos Funcam on Desktop pwc-10.0.12-rc1.tar.bz2 ( available from website http://www.saillard.org/linux/pwc/files/
I extracted it but not able to install it.
Any advice is welcome. As I use Skype extensively, not having webcam - voice chat would be a problem for my total migration to Mint
It seems it is getting closer to being resolved- with your timely help :)
Thanks in advance

Any advice?

Return to “Beginner Questions”