Qiana: Cannot update mesa packages force uninstall cinnamon

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
stardancer

Qiana: Cannot update mesa packages force uninstall cinnamon

Post by stardancer »

I just did a fresh install of Qiana and went into synaptic to update everything. It will not let me update a number of packages related to Mesa without completing borking cinnamon.

Please see the attached screenshot for a list of the problematic files and the programs it wants to uninstall in order to update them. Sorry my system is in french but I think it is obvious (the packages in green are the ones available under "can be updated" and when I choose "select this packages for update", it brings up the window to the right that says "will have an effect on other packages" and requires me to uninstall ("désinstaller") all the packages in that window, which obviously I don't want to do).

The only thing I did after the fresh install was enable the proprietary nvidia driver.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Re: Qiana: Cannot update mesa packages force uninstall cinna

Post by Monsta »

stardancer wrote:I just did a fresh install of Qiana and went into synaptic to update everything.
Yeah, that's why Linux Mint has a dedicated mintUpdate tool for performing package updates. Synaptic is not a reliable tool for that.
stardancer

Post by stardancer »

Monsta wrote:Yeah, that's why Linux Mint has a dedicated mintUpdate tool for performing package updates. Synaptic is not a reliable tool for that.
Oh, thanks, I was scared to use it actually, in the past, I have found that most distros' individual package managers are less trustworthy and useful than synaptic/etc. Glad this is not the case for Qiana. Though it does make me wonder if there is not an error in the dependency settings for the packages? Does mintupdate just have a list of dependency flags to ignore?
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

Yesterday Clem removed the ability to upgrade packages from Synaptic:
Removed the ability to upgrade packages (Synaptic isn't aware of safety levels and that's required for UI, but more importantly the selection of packages is buggy, the first CTRL+A for instance calls the resolver as if each package was to be upgraded individually as opposed to calling the upgrade on the selection as a whole. In the case of some updates, such as the recent mesa updates, this leads to the removal of clutter, and therefore totem and even Cinnamon.).
What I've highlighted is the possible cause of the issue you've stumbled upon.

On the other hand, mintUpdate correctly processes the whole selection of packages to update. After that, it calls Synaptic to perform the update. It is safe: Synaptic is only used as a tool to fetch the packages and apply the updates, not for performing the selection.
eanfrid

Post by eanfrid »

Yep. You can use any package manager to update/install any individual package but when it comes to global distro update/upgrades you should rely solely on mintupdate.
stardancer

Post by stardancer »

Thanks! So helpful to know and makes sense regarding a group of updates! :)
mr_raider
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mr_raider »

What does the command line say when you try to run apt-get upgrade?
randiroo76073

Post by randiroo76073 »

Mint update sucks, Synaptic is rendered useless in Mate 17 32/64 so the only thing that works right is apt-get update ! That's kinda sucky for a new release, mint update misses pkgs and I continually have to double back to apt-get. Yes I do have everything enabled in mint update, before you ask. When is the likelyhood of this being fixed ???
fragsrox
Level 1
Level 1

Post by fragsrox »

This is also messed up in mate distro too. tried both. I cannot use previous versions of applixcations in synaptic anymore as it will NOT allow downgrade. Totally stupid idea. They really have messed this up. If it works why change it. We seem to be heading down the Windows path. Freedome of choice is open source. At least i thought so. many new packages just dont work or many features are now gone. This really sux. I now have to look for a different distro. Really cheesed off.

Return to “Software & Applications”