Quicken6 for Win98

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
donec
Level 4
Level 4

Quicken6 for Win98

Post by donec »

I have quicken working perfect on Mepis 6.0, Mepis 6.5 both based on Ubuntu repositories and Mepis 7.0 based on Debian via Wine using several different versions. Now the problem is it will not even start to install in Elyssa Mint. I have tried using both the cli and just right clicking onit and open with wine. Neither does anything. Can someone offer a fix for this?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Don
http://bestwebstop.webcentr.net
Links and accurate information provide the best answer, while garbage in provides garbage out.ImageRegistered Linux user # 449322
Moved up to LM17 KDE
Husse

Re: Quicken6 for Win98

Post by Husse »

And what is Quicken6? It seems it can be at least both a driver for canon bubblejet and some economics program :)
I think your problem may be because Elyssa has a newer kernel than the other Linux you mention
nelamvr6
Level 4
Level 4

Post by nelamvr6 »

Why bother? Just use kMyMoney, you'll never miss Quicken...
rivenought

Post by rivenought »

KMyMoney works great for the basics that the majority of people need. It is fast, too. Now, if you want more in-depth financials, check out GnuCash. I have tried to warm up to HomeBank, but it was not to my liking. You may find that the open-source financial packages are excellent alternatives to proprietary formats such as Quicken or Money. So, there is no need to suffer with Wine and closed-source applications unless there is some mission-critical feature you simply must have. Good luck, and have fun!
donec
Level 4
Level 4

Post by donec »

Husse wrote:And what is Quicken6? It seems it can be at least both a driver for canon bubblejet and some economics program :)
I think your problem may be because Elyssa has a newer kernel than the other Linux you mention
Quicken is an older version of the checkbook program and I'm pretty sure I could not get it to run on Mint 4 either. Mepis 7.0 is the latest kernel for Mepis.
Don
Links and accurate information provide the best answer, while garbage in provides garbage out.ImageRegistered Linux user # 449322
Moved up to LM17 KDE
donec
Level 4
Level 4

Post by donec »

nelamvr6 wrote:Why bother? Just use kMyMoney, you'll never miss Quicken...
kMyMoney doesn't have a checkbook register.
Don
Moved up to LM17 KDE
rivenought

Post by rivenought »

Odd. All I use KMyMoney for IS a checkbook register with one bank account and one credit card account. What version are you evaluating? Maybe we have different definitions of "checkbook register." KMyMoney has more features that I actually use, but we all have different necessities. Maybe you need something more powerful such as GnuCash.
donec
Level 4
Level 4

Post by donec »

rivenought wrote:KMyMoney works great for the basics that the majority of people need. It is fast, too. Now, if you want more in-depth financials, check out GnuCash. I have tried to warm up to HomeBank, but it was not to my liking. You may find that the open-source financial packages are excellent alternatives to proprietary formats such as Quicken or Money. So, there is no need to suffer with Wine and closed-source applications unless there is some mission-critical feature you simply must have. Good luck, and have fun!
I tried GnuCash in the past and could not get it to handle more than one account but I was just looking at it again and found a way to have multiple accounts. Don't know if it had this in the past and I just missed it or if it is new. Don't know about HomeBank.
Don
Moved up to LM17 KDE
donec
Level 4
Level 4

Post by donec »

rivenought wrote:Odd. All I use KMyMoney for IS a checkbook register with one bank account and one credit card account. What version are you evaluating? Maybe we have different definitions of "checkbook register." KMyMoney has more features that I actually use, but we all have different necessities. Maybe you need something more powerful such as GnuCash.
The version I tried was KMyMoney .08.
Don
Moved up to LM17 KDE
rivenought

Post by rivenought »

I checked KMyMoney on my machine. I am running the 0.9.1-0pm.cvs version. Yes, it is different from the 0.8 version. (I got it through the openSUSE Build Service, so keep that a secret.) Maybe you will find GnuCash will fit the bill, no pun intended. :)
nelamvr6
Level 4
Level 4

Post by nelamvr6 »

donec wrote:
nelamvr6 wrote:Why bother? Just use kMyMoney, you'll never miss Quicken...
kMyMoney doesn't have a checkbook register.

Uh... Huh? It most certainly does! I was just using it a couple of minutes ago...
nelamvr6
Level 4
Level 4

Post by nelamvr6 »

donec wrote:
rivenought wrote:Odd. All I use KMyMoney for IS a checkbook register with one bank account and one credit card account. What version are you evaluating? Maybe we have different definitions of "checkbook register." KMyMoney has more features that I actually use, but we all have different necessities. Maybe you need something more powerful such as GnuCash.
The version I tried was KMyMoney .08.

That's the version i use, which does have a checkbook register. I'm not sure what you were looking at, or what you consider to be a "checkbook register"...
donec
Level 4
Level 4

Post by donec »

I was checking out GnuCash but it seems there is some problems. I imported the accounts from Quicken and the balances were all wrong. I was correcting them and found one spot where I added $10 and the balance column said I added $10.03.
Don
Moved up to LM17 KDE
Lantesh

Post by Lantesh »

GnuCash is a fantastic program. It absolutely supports multiple accounts, so I'm not sure why you were not able to use more than one. I use to use Kmymoney, and only tried GnuCash because I'm trying to use as many Gnome apps as possible, and as few KDE apps. Let me tell you I was very happy I gave it a try, and will certainly be sticking with GnuCash from this point forward.

Return to “Software & Applications”