Background investigation:

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
T J Tulley
Level 5
Level 5

Background investigation:

Post by T J Tulley »

I reported experience with my new installation yesterday - "Elyssa won't start" and that received some interesting responses.
Today I have just burned a new cd from the same downloaded iso file, after re-checking its md5sum.

It then occurred to me to view the disc contents, so I inserted it with Daryna running. Careful searching showed at /.disk/.disk_id (a plain text file) that it was built by Reconstructor 2.7, and the Reconstructor website was given, so I viewed that.

Among recent forum threads referenced on the home page were 2 referring to Busybox problems. Interesting, but above my Newby head.

Recent news was the rapid release of a version compatible with Gutsy - recent developer forum posts indicate difficulties with Hardy.

Recently also I have had several instances of the Busybox screen appearing when I start Daryna - much more frequently since installing Elyssa - now usually twice before it finally starts. It is necessary to restart each time using Ctrl+Alt+Del. Are any of the Busybox commands actually of any use in this context?

I have now also viewed the contents of my first burned disc from LinuxMint-5-r1.iso - as far as I can see it is identical to the new one, but I'll try a fresh install. Before that I'll save this post as a draft and try to boot Elyssa from Supergrub.

Returning to draft - Supergrub failed to boot Elyssa - it said it had fixed the MBR file but that didn't work, nor did Direct Boot. It reported File not found for boot/vmlinuz.

Also Daryna twice went to Busybox from Supergrub, ultimately I booted it from its own boot file. (This time). So I'll post this before trying another installation of Elyssa from the newly burned disc - at 4.7MB/s to a 52X Multispeed Fujifilm CD-R, as was the first one.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Yours hopefully -

Theo Tulley.
Using a PC with 2GB RAM, 3 hdds and a 1.7 GHz Celeron cpu.
rbanavara

Re: Background investigation:

Post by rbanavara »

In my experience, I get busybox prompt, when there are issues when it does filesystem check while booting. This MAY occur when there are changes in partition or boot sector. I normally enter "exit" & it proceeds with boot. This partition related thing can be resolved either by fixing whatever fsck output says or by setting the system not to verify the filesystem while booting in the fstab (You should know what you are doing. In my case its the NT partition & I am sure linux is not going to use it).
T J Tulley
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Background investigation:

Post by T J Tulley »

Thanks rbanavara -
I have tried exit in busybox - it merely returns the busybox opening screen - "Press help for commands".
Often, the text screen ends in a root prompt, not busybox. Then indeed exit [= ctrl+D] does resume the boot process - though Rtn is required first.

I have 2 (SATA) partitions which are not mounted by Daryna's fstab, so the screen preceding busybox says it cannot resolve them - this is repeated as the log file in /var/log/fsck/checkfs. I'll see if mounting these will cure the frequent appearance of busybox.

However, my main preoccupation is to get Elyssa started - what I found in the Reconstructor website is worrying. But evidently many others have succeeded.
Yours hopefully -

Theo Tulley.
Using a PC with 2GB RAM, 3 hdds and a 1.7 GHz Celeron cpu.

Return to “Installation & Boot”