Use Linux & Windows At The Same Time!!

Write tutorials for Linux Mint here
More tutorials on https://github.com/orgs/linuxmint/discu ... /tutorials and (archive) on https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial
Forum rules
Don't add support questions to tutorials; start your own topic in the appropriate sub-forum instead. Before you post read forum rules
Andy Mack

Use Linux & Windows At The Same Time!!

Post by Andy Mack »

I found this tutorial late last night and thought I'd share it.

Heres a screenshot of my desktop to show it works.

Link to tutorial is http://news.softpedia.com/news/Unite-Wi ... 8535.shtml

Screenshot of my desk is Image

Andy
Husse

Re: Use Linux & Windows At The Same Time!!

Post by Husse »

And you mean that this will eliminate the need for Wine?
Andy Mack

Post by Andy Mack »

In a way yes and no. The Virtual XP does not interact with Linux like Wine.
It can be connected through a samba like folder share to copy files from one to the other but thats it, it is still a virtual machine cut off from the mains.

Sorry i'm having a hard time explaining this hahaha.

It is Virtual Box but with full screen/no borders, XP taskbar, Linux desktop without the need to switch between using Mint then clicking into VB to use XP.

I'll have a longer think and try to describe better.
Jesse

Post by Jesse »

I can't get Windows to authenticate for some reason. I put in my code but it tells me its bad. The code worked fine when I installed windows on another partition yesterday. Any idea what could cause this?
Jesse

Post by Jesse »

Ok nevermind, apperently you can only install XP a few times before Microsoft Invalidates your key and you have to activate by telephone. I got it working. This is another reason why i really dont like Microsoft. That makes about 120497124 reasons
Husse

Post by Husse »

That makes about 120497124 reasons
No more? :lol:
piratesmack

Post by piratesmack »

Jesse wrote:Ok nevermind, apperently you can only install XP a few times before Microsoft Invalidates your key and you have to activate by telephone. I got it working. This is another reason why i really dont like Microsoft. That makes about 120497124 reasons

Really?

I did have trouble getting Windows Vista to activate in virtualbox, but that was because I had already activated it on my real PC.

Not sure why microsoft expects me to buy another copy of Vista just to run it in Virtualbox, though.
proxima_centauri

Post by proxima_centauri »

Andy Mack wrote:In a way yes and no. The Virtual XP does not interact with Linux like Wine.
It can be connected through a samba like folder share to copy files from one to the other but thats it, it is still a virtual machine cut off from the mains.
It must be possible to have an XP hard install and a virtual linux overtop of it much the same way no?
Then there would be no need for wine since XP is the main OS.
I think i'll try that out now.
Andy Mack

Post by Andy Mack »

I haven't tried it myself but cant see why it wont work proxima_centauri
proxima_centauri

Post by proxima_centauri »

Finished what I set out to do. Have host XP machine running LinuxMint5 seamlessly overtop. Here's a shot.

...cool

Return to “Tutorials”