UPDATE 2: Mint 5 KDE Beta

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

UPDATE 2: Mint 5 KDE Beta

Post by Boo »

So where are we up to...
the current beta has one wifi bug that i hope to fix with some reloads, this bug is also in the main.
Clem is back and he has been doing some heavy testing while away.
We want to at least make one mint application to be QT4, and Clem is having fun with that too.
MintUpdate is the first to be Qt'ed and this will also mean we can change the GTK apps to use Qt look.

I hope you can all wait a bit longer.

Boo
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
Fred

Re: UPDATE 2: Mint 5 KDE Beta

Post by Fred »

Boo,

You might want to run the clean-up portion of my back-up/restore script on it before you let it go. It is in the how-to section of the forum.

I have been surprised at the things that pop out of distro finals that are just cruft and are not being used for anything. :-)

I have been quite impressed with your past work, and I don't impress easily. :-)

Thanks for all you do for the community.

Fred
foggytown
Level 3
Level 3

Post by foggytown »

Fred wrote:
I have been quite impressed with your past work, and I don't impress easily. :-)

Thanks for all you do for the community.
I second that...

...although I have been known to be easily impressed on occasion :D
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
--Aldous Huxley
changturkey

Post by changturkey »

Boo wrote:So where are we up to...
the current beta has one wifi bug that i hope to fix with some reloads, this bug is also in the main.
Clem is back and he has been doing some heavy testing while away.
We want to at least make one mint application to be QT4, and Clem is having fun with that too.
MintUpdate is the first to be Qt'ed and this will also mean we can change the GTK apps to use Qt look.

I hope you can all wait a bit longer.

Boo
So I can assume Mint 6 with be KDE 4.1.x based?
AK Dave

Post by AK Dave »

I would guess, changturkey, that Mint6/KDE4 would depend on a few factors. Such as: Mint6's release date, and the status at that time of KDE4 and KDE4 "core" applications. So I don't think it is safe, at this point, to assume anything, except that Mint6 will be released when it is ready (and no sooner) and be of the the highest quality and stability possible given the software packages it can be assembled from. That may mean, I would assume, that if at that time KDE4 is "of suitably high quality and stability" that it would be used. But I wouldn't take that for granted.
Fred

Post by Fred »

goth mneph,

Putting a distro together is a tremendous amount of work. I suspect if more people had actually tried, they wouldn't be quite so pushy about when they are going to get it. I know I will just be happy to get it, whenever that time winds up being.

That someone is willing to do that kind of work on my behalf and for my enjoyment is way too humbling for me to complain about the schedule. :-)

Fred
brando569

Post by brando569 »

I'm getting anxious for it too but then again I want something thats quality and not something that is just slapped together and thrown out here just so people will stop asking when it will be released. its going to be nice to finally use hardy repos :D
brando569

Post by brando569 »

i couldnt agree more, im using kubuntu 8.04 now instead of mint4 but once elyssa kde comes out im sure ill be back on mint in no time
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

well with Ubuntu 8.04.1 coming out tomorrow I am going to update the KDE beta to it before we release it.

Boo
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
AK Dave

Post by AK Dave »

I concur, Boo.

For the record, I'm running Elyssa with the 8.04.1 Proposed path from Ubuntu wide open and upgraded and I'm loving it. Best wifi ever on my Gateway MX6453 laptop (rtl8187).
kanishka
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kanishka »

I made the big decision: I'm switching from GNOME to KDE. I just need one thing: my favourite distro in KDE flavour. Please... :mrgreen:
rhvkl

Post by rhvkl »

kanishka wrote:I made the big decision: I'm switching from GNOME to KDE. I just need one thing: my favourite distro in KDE flavour. Please... :mrgreen:

...same here, but I'll wait for the best precision and performance, thx to the dev-team ;)
kanishka
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kanishka »

rhvkl wrote:...same here, but I'll wait for the best precision and performance, thx to the dev-team ;)
Of course... but, in the meantime, my notebook could be used as a test bed for the Beta :roll:
(I'm actually running the latest Granular in it, and I'm quite impressed; Granular seems to be to PCLOS what Mint is to Ubuntu).
deadguy
Level 5
Level 5

Post by deadguy »

Boo wrote:well with Ubuntu 8.04.1 coming out tomorrow I am going to update the KDE beta to it before we release it.

Boo

Very Nice :D
brando569

Post by brando569 »

kanishka wrote:I made the big decision: I'm switching from GNOME to KDE. I just need one thing: my favourite distro in KDE flavour. Please... :mrgreen:
good choice buddy, i love KDE and cant stand gnome its too simplistic for me i need all of the eye candy :D

Return to “Software & Applications”