Troubles with mate-panel in Mint 14

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
eldenico
Level 1
Level 1

Troubles with mate-panel in Mint 14

Post by eldenico »

Hello, I worked normally with my Mint 14 (Nadia) for three days, but when I restarted it, I can login normally, but it only shows the desktop but no panel at all (there is no start menu). When I type top on a console it shows mate-panel consuming a lot of resources and everything goes very slowly. Is there anyway to reset the mate-panel? I can access to the console using the shift+alt+F1 combination but I can't start the desktop.
I have tried using the mate-panel --reset but it doesn't work.
Please somebody help me because I need to restart the computer and I don't want to reinstall everything.
Thanks and best regards.
I'm runing the Nadia 14 in a Dell computer inspiron 1545.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
passerby

Re: Troubles with mate-panel in Mint 14

Post by passerby »

Try running
pkill mate-panel
That should kill mate-panel and restart it.
eldenico
Level 1
Level 1

Post by eldenico »

Thanks for your answer; I killed the process and it restarted but it uses more than 2.4 G of RAM and more than 97% of CPU and the desktop doesn't start completely. The problem remains.
Thanks.
passerby

Post by passerby »

What version are you running? Short of removing mate-panel and using something else (eg. mate desktop with xfce4-panel), up/downgrading mate to another version would be the best fix.
SkrubZero

Post by SkrubZero »

passerby wrote:Try running
pkill mate-panel
That should kill mate-panel and restart it.
Thanks for the quick and easy solution. I am on Mint 13 LTS and kept getting results for restarting Gnome panel, which of course did not work. :(

Return to “MATE”