problems with mplayer plugin

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
wolfman

problems with mplayer plugin

Post by wolfman »

hello everyone,

so here's the deal. i visit the site ninjavideo.net a lot as i like to stream shows and movies.

i recently changed from vista to linux mint as vista is just a plain pain in the a** as some of you might know.

the transition was fine and dandy, except that of course there is no divx plugin (needed to watch vids on that site) for linux,
so i installed the mplayer plugin which works, but unfortunately not well at all.

issues:

- it streams for a bit (usually around 10-30 percent of the whole vid) and then just decides to stop.

- the fast forward button doesn't work, neither does the button to go back.

did any of you guys encounter the same problems, and if so could you help please?

thanks in advance,

wolf
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Re: problems with mplayer plugin

Post by 67GTA »

Uninstall the mplayer plugin, and try the totem or vlc plugin to see if it works better for you. I know the mozilla-plugin-vlc has divx support.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
wolfman

Post by wolfman »

i've done this; deleted mplayer plugin and installed vlc mozilla plugin but now there is simply no video displaying at all.

have i done something wrong maybe?

this is what i've done:

- went to this site: http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-ubuntu.html

- typed in this: % sudo apt-get update
% sudo apt-get install vlc vlc-plugin-esd mozilla-plugin-vlc

in the terminal and the install was succesful.

it should work, no?
wolfman

Post by wolfman »

i tried out the totem mozilla plugin now

but it doesn't work either. i get a window with a play sign in it but when i click on it nothing happens..

any idea what i could do now?

cheers,
wolf
WebThingy

Post by WebThingy »

Try the Gecko Media Player plugin instead. It uses GNOME Mplayer. For some reason I find it works better even though I can't figure out why.

In Synaptic just search for: gecko-mediaplayer

Return to “Sound”