FireFox update in Mint 16 (solved).

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Wompoo
Level 6
Level 6

FireFox update in Mint 16 (solved).

Post by Wompoo »

I'm advised that I need to update to the latest version of FireFox. Could someone please give me instructions for doing this?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Desktop PC #1
Linux Mint 20.3 MATE desktop (64-bit), Asus
ASUSTeK model: P5G41T-M LX, 8 Gb RAM
turtlebay777

Re: FireFox update in Mint 16

Post by turtlebay777 »

ONLY do it from Update Manager because the updates have been passed by Mint admins.

Question is, who or what is telling you to update Firefox?

Remember that Firefox does not know what system you are using and assumes you have Windows!
Wompoo
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Wompoo »

My banking website is asking me to update.
I realise why you asked me this question, as the assumption re. Windows would apply. So maybe I don't need to worry about the update anyway?
Not so important when using Linux?

Thanks for the prompt reply.
Desktop PC #1
Wompoo
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Wompoo »

Where do I find the "udate manager" please?
Desktop PC #1
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

It is either running on the bottom right taskbar(system bar) or iy should be under the system on the left side menu selection(s)
--as summing you keep the taskbar on the bottom of the screen a la windows or Apple style
turtlebay777

Post by turtlebay777 »

For update manager, click Menu, then Administration, then scroll down to update manager. Click install of everything, or just leave the ones marked Firefox ticked.

There will be an icon on the taskbar too, probably next to the volume controls. Click on that for the same effect.

You will be asked for your password which is the one you use to log in with. :)
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

Wompoo wrote:I'm advised that I need to update to the latest version of FireFox. Could someone please give me instructions for doing this?
If you can't make Firefox from the repository work, you can get the latest official release from Ubuntuzilla
.deb repacks of the latest official release versions of Mozilla Firefox, Mozilla SeaMonkey, and Mozilla Thunderbird
http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/u ... =Main_Page
That is where I always get the latest SeaMonkey.
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
Wompoo
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Wompoo »

Thanks for that reply Austin Texas. I have tried it several times after exhausting the option suggested above by turtlebay 777. That partly worked each time, but resulted in a fail notice suggestion some files had been updated and some not, advising I check my server etc.
I then followed the instructions on the sourceforge site, but repeatedly found myself in a circular process, everytime arriving back where I started. Each time I read the instructions warning that I "don't manually download files".
Can you describe the way into this process please?
The reviews report that it is all "easy". I must be doing something very simple the wrong way.
Desktop PC #1
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

Wompoo wrote:Thanks for that reply Austin Texas.
Can you describe the way into this process please?
The reviews report that it is all "easy". I must be doing something very simple the wrong way.
It is not really "easy" for someone new to linux.
You can add the ubuntuzilla repository to your /etc/apt/sources.list, so that you get the updates in the same way you get Mint updates.
You can use the following command to add it to your sources.list from a terminal:
(Click on "Select All" to highlight it - and then copy the command.)

Code: Select all

echo -e "\ndeb http://downloads.sourceforge.net/project/ubuntuzilla/mozilla/apt all main" | sudo tee -a /etc/apt/sources.list > /dev/null
Then add the package signing key to your keyring, by running the following command:

sudo apt-key adv --recv-keys --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com C1289A29
Update your package database:

sudo apt-get update
Install your desired package, with one of the following commands:

sudo apt-get install firefox-mozilla-build

sudo apt-get install thunderbird-mozilla-build

sudo apt-get install seamonkey-mozilla-build
http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/u ... =Main_Page
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
Wompoo
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Wompoo »

Thank you for those very well described instructions Austin.Texas. Just what the beginner needs.
I have done all that now. I had a look at my banking site again and it's still flagging a notification suggesting I'm using an old version of the browser.
Is there still something that I have to do?
Restart my computer? If so, it will update when I turn on next.

Jim.
Desktop PC #1
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

You might be able to "spoof" the site by making Firefox appear to be a different browser.
Mozilla Firefox doesn’t have an easy way to change its user agent without an extension – this option is buried on Firefox’s about:config page. If you want an easy way to change Firefox’s user agent, use the User Agent Switcher extension instead.
http://www.howtogeek.com/113439/how-to- ... xtensions/

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/18519/ho ... n-firefox/
Linux Linx 2018
Wompoo
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Wompoo »

I did not get so far as to follow the steps in your last post Austin Texas, however, I seem to have an updated browser now! Maybe it was just a matter of the need to reboot? Is that possible?
Anyway, the home page of FireFox now looks slightly different and the banking site no longer prompts for a browser update.
So all appears to be well!

Many thanks,

Jim.
Desktop PC #1
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

I am glad it is working for you !
Please go to your first post, click EDIT, and add [SOLVED] to the title.
Linux Linx 2018
Wompoo
Level 6
Level 6

Re: FireFox update in Mint 16 (solved).

Post by Wompoo »

Done.
What do I do in the future? Does this mean that programs such as FireFox will update automatically? Or do I manage updates via the update manager periodically?
Desktop PC #1
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Re: FireFox update in Mint 16 (solved).

Post by austin.texas »

If you added the ubuntuzilla repository (generally referred to as a "PPA"), then updates will come in your Mint Update Manager (or apt-get commands).

Keep the instructions in an OS installation checklist document so that you can repeat the process with a new computer.
Linux Linx 2018

Return to “Software & Applications”