Installation screen expects Username and Password?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
TonyMi

Installation screen expects Username and Password?

Post by TonyMi »

I've decided to give LMDE 2012 (32 bit) a try on an old laptop before installing on my main system.

The DVD has booted, no problem but I cannot get to install the system since Linux Mint is expecting a Username and Password in the Welcome screen. Well I do not have these since the installation hasn't taken place so they do not exist. I've tried the usual of root and administrator in various combinations but without being able to get in. Does anyone have a clue as to what the username and password should be?

Also whilst writing, should I choose MATE or CINNAMON? (if I get that far), I've not yet found a good comparison to help me decide which is the best way to go.

Many Thanks, Tony.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Bonsaii

Re: Installation screen expects Username and Password?

Post by Bonsaii »

Hi,
as you can read here:

http://blog.linuxmint.com/?paged=4
Login and password for the live session

The Live session should log you in automatically. If it doesn’t, or if you need to login manually (for instance, to try out Cinnamon), you can use the following credentials:

For the username, type “mint”
For the password, if asked, just press Enter.
Without the quotation marks in the username.
Have fun and enjoy!
TonyMi

Post by TonyMi »

It worked, many thanks, Tony.
nsbaba

Post by nsbaba »

I tried to install Linux mint 32bit Mate on my HP Pavilion dv2000, using DVD, but the installer is asking for user name and password, as per the suggestion by the forum I tried user name "mint" (without quotes) and for password just pressed "Enter" The Login screen is showing wrong username and password. Would anyone help me install Linux mint on my personal box, I don't have Internet connection to the box.

I tried on virtual box in DELL Vostro on windows 7. successfully installed and simply awesome

Thanks in advance.
Cocolate

Post by Cocolate »

Man seriously? Why is there a login username and pass and then I cant find jack about it online as to how to login?

Ive tried like 20 different logins and read at least 20 search results. Whats the deal? What is the login?
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

http://linuxmint.com/rel_debian.php
Login and password for the live session

The Live session should log you in automatically. If it doesn't, or if you need to login manually (for instance, to try out Cinnamon), you can use the following credentials:

For the username, type "mint"
For the password, if asked, just press Enter.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
Cocolate

Post by Cocolate »

Hi thanks everyone. It was asking me for login credentials because I created the USB as ext 4. I did that because it didnt seem like it was working when I was trying ext 2 (its been a while since I made a live usb so I forgot if it was ext 2 or ext 4). When I changed it to ext 2 it took me to the live desktop as default. I made it as ext 4 because on ext 2 the USB looked like it froze at 65% I finally ended up leaving it when it did the same on ext 4 and after about 15min it completed.

Thanks for your help. It was just a Live USB creation error

Return to “LMDE Archive”