How do I know if I can Boot from USB(SOLVED)

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
pcpunk
Level 5
Level 5

How do I know if I can Boot from USB(SOLVED)

Post by pcpunk »

I want to perform the LiveUSB. I know how to get to the Boot Log and changed it once to boot from the Disc. Now I want to try the usb drive because I have heard it is faster, and probably less noisy LOL, my drive is noisy and slow. I also read at the LiveUSB link that some older computers cannot do this and I believe mine was the same year they mentioned. This is a great site, Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
HP Compaq nx7400, Cinnamon 19.2
Intel R Core™2CPU, T5500@1.66GHz, 4GB Crucial RAM
Super Clean Runs Perfect
ClutchDisc

Re: How do I know if I can Boot from USB

Post by ClutchDisc »

What does it list in your boot options?
wayne128

Post by wayne128 »

Plug in your USB flash to USB port.

Turn on computer, navigate to bios, check all boot options..

Point to take note, USB flash can hide inside Hard Disk
sometime ago I captured my old presario to show where USB flash is hidden inside Hard Disk
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... io#p855405
pcpunk
Level 5
Level 5

Post by pcpunk »

ClutchDisc wrote:What does it list in your boot options?
Thanks for all the help, my boot options are:
USB FLOPPY
USB SUPERDISK
USB HARD DISK.

I just tried the FLOPPY but that did not work lol.
Super Clean Runs Perfect
Mark Phelps
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Mark Phelps »

Try "USB Hard Disk" --know that sounds wrong, but that's generally what works.
pcpunk
Level 5
Level 5

Post by pcpunk »

Mark Phelps wrote:Try "USB Hard Disk" --know that sounds wrong, but that's generally what works.
OKAY!
Super Clean Runs Perfect
ClutchDisc

Post by ClutchDisc »

Mark Phelps wrote:Try "USB Hard Disk" --know that sounds wrong, but that's generally what works.
Yes, that is what I would try too.
pcpunk
Level 5
Level 5

Post by pcpunk »

Okay guys, this did not work, it booted up but when on the net it would lock up and I had to do a forced shutdown. I am going to drop it on my HDD right after my friendly technician makes sure there are no bugs on it. Only because I want it to be faster and function properly. If anyone has any good answers to fix usb issue I would love to hear them.
Super Clean Runs Perfect
ClutchDisc

Post by ClutchDisc »

What version of Mint are you trying and what are your CPU and RAM specs?
Derek_S
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Derek_S »

pcpunk wrote:Okay guys, this did not work, it booted up but when on the net it would lock up and I had to do a forced shutdown.
Hello pcpunk - What exactly happened? Can you describe it better? For instance, it booted to a black screen? Or it booted to the grub menu, you chose to boot Linux Mint, then it crashed? Or did it make it all the way to the desktop, you made your internet connection, started Firefox, then it crashed while you were "on the net"?

I think it would help us if you could describe your system in better detail:

1.) The manufacturer and specific model of the motherboard.

2.) The processor.

3.) The amount of system memory you have. This is important, because some systems with low system memory should use a version of Mint with a desktop that is lighter on system memory.
"When you rise in the morning, give thanks for the light, for your life, for your strength. Give thanks for your food and for the joy of living. If you see no reason to give thanks, the fault lies in yourself." - Tecumseh
pcpunk
Level 5
Level 5

Post by pcpunk »

This choice: "Or did it make it all the way to the desktop, you made your internet connection, started Firefox, then it crashed while you were "on the net"
Hope this link works cause I am computer illiterate LOL!

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/CLHL ... lA2X2hX0gk
Super Clean Runs Perfect
ClutchDisc

Post by ClutchDisc »

Are you trying the "Mate" version of Linux Mint?
pcpunk
Level 5
Level 5

Post by pcpunk »

ClutchDisc wrote:Are you trying the "Mate" version of Linux Mint?
LinuxMint17
Super Clean Runs Perfect
ClutchDisc

Post by ClutchDisc »

I should clarify, I didn't mean what number release, but are you using Mate, or Cinnamon version of Mint 17?
pcpunk
Level 5
Level 5

Post by pcpunk »

ClutchDisc wrote:I should clarify, I didn't mean what number release, but are you using Mate, or Cinnamon version of Mint 17?
Cinamon, did ya look at my specs in the link in post above? I don't know what I need, the test I took said Suse,something but someone suggested LMC.
Super Clean Runs Perfect
ClutchDisc

Post by ClutchDisc »

Cinnamon is too much for the specs of your computer. Try Mate, that will probably solve your problem.
pcpunk
Level 5
Level 5

Post by pcpunk »

ClutchDisc wrote:Cinnamon is too much for the specs of your computer. Try Mate, that will probably solve your problem.
Really, that sucks lol. it took almost an hour to download that thing. It did work on the CD though. Okay I will try that, but, do you think that I should go to OpenSuse, that is what is recommended for beginners with slow computers. I am quite surprised though, I thought this was a light system. What is the issue the RAM?
Super Clean Runs Perfect
Derek_S
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Derek_S »

Hello pcpunk - I took a look at the output from Speccy. With 1GB of system memory, I have to agree with ClutchDisc, Linux Mint 17 with the Cinnamon desktop is not the one to install, you'd probably experience system crashes on a regular basis. You'd be better of trying the MATE desktop instead, or if you are willing to wait a bit, the final release of Mint 17 with the Xfce desktop should be available very soon. It might be an even better choice for your machine.

Do you intend to replace WindowsXP with Linux Mint, or are you planning to have a dual boot setup with both operating systems?
"When you rise in the morning, give thanks for the light, for your life, for your strength. Give thanks for your food and for the joy of living. If you see no reason to give thanks, the fault lies in yourself." - Tecumseh
pcpunk
Level 5
Level 5

Post by pcpunk »

Derek_S wrote:Hello pcpunk - I took a look at the output from Speccy. With 1GB of system memory, I have to agree with ClutchDisc, Linux Mint 17 with the Cinnamon desktop is not the one to install, you'd probably experience system crashes on a regular basis. You'd be better of trying the MATE desktop instead, or if you are willing to wait a bit, the final release of Mint 17 with the Xfce desktop should be available very soon. It might be an even better choice for your machine.

Do you intend to replace WindowsXP with Linux Mint, or are you planning to have a dual boot setup with both operating systems?
I think a dual boot for now. Dam I thought I had 2gig of RAM for some reason lol. Would this be sufficient if I were to dump the xp OS?

What do you think of OpenSuse? I am a very light user, mostly youtube, facebook, word doc's, emails.
Super Clean Runs Perfect
Derek_S
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Derek_S »

Hello pcpunk - I have used openSUSE. It is really aimed at people involved with software development, but does make a good everyday operating system. If you have never used Linux before, you might find it difficult to install and configure. Who recommended it to you?

Return to “Installation & Boot”