Why the theme of my Skype and Adobe Reader looks so ugly

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
hkenneth
Level 1
Level 1

Why the theme of my Skype and Adobe Reader looks so ugly

Post by hkenneth »

I am using Linux Mint 17 cinnamon. Fresh install. Everything works perfectly, except that the interface/theme of my Skype and Adobe Reader looks different than the rest of the desktop.
screenshot.png
It seems they are not applied with current GTK3.0 theme.

I saw their interfaces look quite consistent on other distributions. So I wonder whether I need to install some extra packages to make their interface consistent with the GTK 3.0 theme?

Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Why the theme of my Skype and Adobe Reader looks so ugly

Post by xenopeek »

These probably aren't GTK 3 applications, hence the GTK 3 themes have no effect on them. IIRC these are Qt applications (like VLC also), so you'll have to tweak the Qt theme.
hkenneth
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Why the theme of my Skype and Adobe Reader looks so ugly

Post by hkenneth »

I finally figured it out myself and think it might worth sharing here. The reason these 2 applications does not show proper theme is because both of them are i386 applications. In order to have proper GTK2.0 theme of them on x64 system, you would have to install i386 theme engine...

I installed gtk2-engines-murrine:i386 and they are now working perfectly...

Return to “Software & Applications”