After boot issue

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
murtazasj

After boot issue

Post by murtazasj »

mint cinnamon 17 and fully updated.. After booting is complete and the cursor appears in the middle of the screen,,, it takes about 25 - 30 seconds more before desktop screen loads . It remains black untill then . i tried many things posted online but didnt help.. reduced startup apps, profiled my boot, etc.. still the problem exist.. Please suggest something to overcome this issue... Thanks in advance..

System: Host: Murtazalocal Kernel: 3.13.0-24-generic x86_64 (64 bit) Desktop: Gnome Distro: Linux Mint 17 Qiana
Machine: System: Gigabyte product: N/A
Mobo: Gigabyte model: H61M-S1 version: x.x Bios: American Megatrends version: F7 date: 07/30/2012
CPU: Dual core Intel Core i3-3210 CPU (-HT-MCP-) cache: 3072 KB flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx)
Clock Speeds: 1: 1600.00 MHz 2: 1600.00 MHz 3: 1600.00 MHz 4: 1600.00 MHz
Graphics: Card: Intel Xeon E3-1200 v2/3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller
X.Org: 1.15.1 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1366x768@59.8hz
GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Ivybridge Desktop GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 10.1.3
Audio: Card: Intel 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family High Definition Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel
Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture ver: k3.13.0-24-generic
Network: Card: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller driver: r8169
IF: eth0 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: 90:2b:34:ee:4b:85
Drives: HDD Total Size: 500.1GB (27.0% used) 1: id: /dev/sda model: ST500DM002 size: 500.1GB
Partition: ID: / size: 455G used: 126G (30%) fs: ext4 ID: swap-1 size: 4.18GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap
RAID: No RAID devices detected - /proc/mdstat and md_mod kernel raid module present
Sensors: System Temperatures: cpu: 29.8C mobo: 27.8C
Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info: Processes: 166 Uptime: 3 min Memory: 665.8/3849.3MB Client: Shell inxi: 1.8.4
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
seeley

Re: After boot issue

Post by seeley »

Hi!
There are to many possibilities, please give us some more info, e.g.
1. Did you check md5sum?
2. Partitioning before installing?
murtazasj

Post by murtazasj »

i used automatic wipe and install option for installation.
murtazasj

Post by murtazasj »

yes i did check md5 sum before installing. And this os tends to be a bit slow than i expected from linux.
seeley

Post by seeley »

If Cinnamon is slow, you could test Xfce.
I do not trust any automatism and therefore always partition before installing.
Concerning the issue I have no idea how to solve it.
murtazasj

Post by murtazasj »

thanks anyways.
seeley

Post by seeley »

Do not give up!
I would download and try Mint 17 Xfce, I suppose it is faster.
At the moment there only is a RC available, but that is no problem, because later on, after having made all level 1 and 2 updates, you will have the the final release.
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kyphi »

I am unable to provide an answer but I can add my experiences to the issue of slow boot (something that using Xfce will not solve).

I can boot into Linux Mint Cinnamon 17 64-bit in 45 seconds. I can boot into Windows 7 on the same computer in 8 seconds.

All I have been able to achieve so far is to shift the boot delay to occur either before the login screen or after it.

You are not alone murtazasj.
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
powerhouse
Level 6
Level 6

Post by powerhouse »

Check your dmesg output (see under /var/log/dmesg) to see where it hangs! Note the time on the left - you can easily identify where the boot process got stuck.

You might have a similar problem to the one I solved: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=156993
Subjects of interest: Linux, vfio passthrough virtualization, photography
See my blog on virtualization, including tutorials: https://www.heiko-sieger.info/category/ ... alization/
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kyphi »

@ powerhouse

Something you said shifted my way of thinking about this vexing boot delay problem. Both dmesg and system logs showed delays here and there but not enough to focus on any one thing.

I had been using an Enermax keyboard with sound input and output sockets and 2xUSB2 ports (one for the wireless mouse transmitter). The boot process identified these but did not know how to accommodate them and so it dithered. I switched to another keyboard and fast boot was back - about 8 seconds. Unfortunately the alteration to the GRUB CMD line did not work, nevertheless, many thanks.

@ murtazasj

Does that help you to make a diagnosis?
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
murtazasj

Post by murtazasj »

No but anyways, i am thinking of migrating to zorin. though i am afraid of doing it since i dont have backup devices and i dont know how to otherwise
but , Thanks
mr_raider
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mr_raider »

Its odd that your video card is being misidentified. The 3210 should have ivybridge graphics. Ypur hd2500 is being identified as a Xeon.

Try installing then intel drivers directly:

https://01.org/linuxgraphics/node/269

Return to “Installation & Boot”