is there anyway to install with text interface?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
braingateway

is there anyway to install with text interface?

Post by braingateway »

The live cd cannot boot into X, because of known issue of the kernel, I need to patch the kernel before I can start the X. So my plan is to install the Mint in console mode. Then I upgrade the kernel to make it work. Can anyone tell me how to invoke the text-interface of installer?

It is going to be difficult to directly change the kernel of live CD/USB.

Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ktheking

Re: is there anyway to install with text interface?

Post by ktheking »

You might consider starting up the livecd with given kernel parameters ,enabling to start your xwindow drivers differently.
This worked for me with older videocards,or exotic videocards.
Google a bit around to see what bootoptions you can find. Usually the ones for Ubuntu should work here too. I don't know them by heart.
When you actually do the install, and the installation has finished ,you can use the CTRL+ALT+F1,F2,F3 key combination to switch to different consoles.
In here you can alter the bootup options for the xwindow ,enabling you to still start xwindow properly for your machine.
braingateway

Post by braingateway »

This won't work for me, I definately need to patch the kernel before I can get X run. It is surpprising if Mint does not have a text interface installer. It is kind of hard to believe this. Because this is the most basic function otherwise how can anyone deploy this distro through network or serial console?
ktheking wrote:You might consider starting up the livecd with given kernel parameters ,enabling to start your xwindow drivers differently.
This worked for me with older videocards,or exotic videocards.
Google a bit around to see what bootoptions you can find. Usually the ones for Ubuntu should work here too. I don't know them by heart.
When you actually do the install, and the installation has finished ,you can use the CTRL+ALT+F1,F2,F3 key combination to switch to different consoles.
In here you can alter the bootup options for the xwindow ,enabling you to still start xwindow properly for your machine.
ktheking

Post by ktheking »

Stupid question : Why don't you simply install then the Ubuntu 14.04 server edition ?

The server edition, will even run faster then the linux mint one ,because a lot of the requirements for the gui are not there , and since it's the server edition, after the install ,it's up to you to actually start whatever you need.
braingateway

Post by braingateway »

ktheking wrote:Stupid question : Why don't you simply install then the Ubuntu 14.04 server edition ?

The server edition, will even run faster then the linux mint one ,because a lot of the requirements for the gui are not there , and since it's the server edition, after the install ,it's up to you to actually start whatever you need.
Because I do NOT want server edition. I do need GUI desktop. The problem is I cannot run the live cd with GUI, because my special hardware needs a patch to the kernel. That is why I am asking for a text-interface of installer. But I am NOT going to use it without GUI forever.

So I need 1. install the mint with text interface. 2. then patch my kernel under text interface to bring back the GUI.
I am stuck at the first step: install mint with text interface. Almost all linux distros have text installer. But I do not know how to invoke it from mint live CD.

If someone can show me a simple we to modify the live CD kernel, that will also do!
ktheking

Post by ktheking »

Seems you're not the first one asking for it : http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 53&start=0
You could still consider install the server edition ,and install the gui yourself afterwards.
Bolle1961
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Bolle1961 »

Server version is a bad advice, you need the minimal install iso
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Insta ... /MinimalCD
braingateway

Post by braingateway »

Bolle1961 wrote:Server version is a bad advice, you need the minimal install iso
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Insta ... /MinimalCD
I am confused! How can you use a ubuntu minimalCD to install Mint?
braingateway

Post by braingateway »

ktheking wrote:Seems you're not the first one asking for it : http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 53&start=0
You could still consider install the server edition ,and install the gui yourself afterwards.
Thanks, so there actually is a request about text interface installer: http://community.linuxmint.com/idea/view/1309
It has been selected but so far has not been implemented yet.
I had customized some Mint live CD with the kernel patch by myself, but I do not want do that for all the computers and each release upgrade. Too tedious!
I like the system tweaks done by Mint community, however without a text interface installer it will even out the time it has saved.
If there is a direct rlease-upgrade tool like ubuntu/kubuntu it will also make my life easier. Unforturnately there is no such thing for Mint. I tried with modifying all the source.list to point to the new repo. But the change usually is so great that always resulting in mess. I have to do lots of manual clean up and fix.

Return to “Installation & Boot”