software for writing books/novels/auto-biography/biography

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
saurabh995

software for writing books/novels/auto-biography/biography

Post by saurabh995 »

which software should i use to write
  • books
  • novels
  • auto-biography
  • biography
(other that libre office's writer . i don't find it much appealing for my purpose.)
and it's not just a hobby ,it's for professional writing .
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
tenfoot
Level 6
Level 6

Re: software for writing books/novels/auto-biography/biograp

Post by tenfoot »

saurabh995 wrote:which software should i use to write
  • books
  • novels
  • auto-biography
  • biography
(other that libre office's writer . i don't find it much appealing for my purpose.)
and it's not just a hobby ,it's for professional writing .
Try Scribus. It is in the repositories. It is a professional DTP program and has a "steepish" learning curve.
tenfoot
"Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds darkness always got there first, and is waiting for it." Terry Pratchett (Reaper Man)
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

Personally, I use the Seamonkey wysiwyg HTML Composer. I create and save all my documents in HTML, so that I can view them in my browser (with active links) and transfer them to any computer, including Windows and smartphones. I have only used LibreOffice maybe once or twice in the last five years.
http://www.seamonkey-project.org/doc/
Of course, it is not a full featured word processor, so some things you may want to do might be missing, but it works for simple writing tasks.
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
shieldfire
Level 1
Level 1

Post by shieldfire »

Depends on what you are looking for. Just writing, I'd prefer something like Focuswriter. If you want to keep track of your story (characters, plot line, history etc) there a few options. Don't remember names atm but Google for "Linux writing aid" or something like that.

EDIT: Writers Café used to be one, there is at least one other. Cherry Tree is more like note taking but off-line. (Of course Nixnote is also available for note taking).

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk
saurabh995

Post by saurabh995 »

Thanks for the reply . :)
gold_finger

Post by gold_finger »

Have no experience with this myself, but it might be something for you to look into: http://en.flossmanuals.net/booki-user-guide/.
xfrank
Level 5
Level 5

Post by xfrank »

I didn't used yet focuswriter but seems very good to just type the text. LibreOffice is obviously much more complete. I wrote a book (academic) last year in LO, but I had to convert the .odt file to .docx to send it to the publisher.
Active Distros in my computers: LM21.1 (Mate,Xfce); MXLinux (Xfce)
rollon
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rollon »

If you don't mind using Whine there is yWriter. I used it while still running windows. I have it loaded on linux just haven't used it yet.
http://www.spacejock.com/yWriter5_Screens.html

Return to “Software & Applications”