SETI@Home

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dick34

SETI@Home

Post by dick34 »

Hi Guys-

Just installed LM17 Cinnamon, and it is great. My only issue is I can't seem to get SETI@Home working. I am running a 64-bit machine. I can find SETI in Synaptic Package Manager, and Software Manager. I can see it on my system, however, it will not run. Any Suggestions. Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
wgn

Re: SETI@Home

Post by wgn »

What did you install?

I've never run it, but per http://boinc.berkeley.edu/wiki/Installi ... _on_Ubuntu you need two packages, boinc-client & boinc-manager. Did you install them both?
dick34

Post by dick34 »

Thanks for your response.

Yes I installed both packages. It seem that there is something missing: libglut.so.3. I am searching for it now in the LM 17 Distro, but have not found yet. I have Seti-Manager running now, however it does not switch to the gui mode. It use to work in earlier versions of Seti & Linux Mint. Any suggestions'

Thanks
wgn

Post by wgn »

A quick google finds this http://boinc.gorlaeus.net/forum_thread.php?id=50 which seems to indicate you need to install freeglut3 which provides libglut.so.3. That may produce another error, but one thing at a time.
dick34

Post by dick34 »

I uninstalled freeglut 3 amd reinstalled it, and also updated the libglut.so to the latest version and made the symbolic link (sl). The Client program and manager program both work good, as they should :D . Still can not enter the gui mode. Researched BOINC and there seem to be some question about an xscreensaver is included. Looking through the BOINC directory I have a boincscr which is a screensaver. However It will not execute. I check its properties side by side with another screensaver, and the properties were identical. I think I am going to give it a rest and do a little more research and contact BOINC. Thanks for your email.

Richard

Return to “Software & Applications”