[FIXED] RAR files appear Empty

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
th3pr0ph3t

[FIXED] RAR files appear Empty

Post by th3pr0ph3t »

When I open a .rar file it appears empty, but in XUbuntu the same file is opened correctly.

I am using Linux Mint 17 Cinnamon
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: RAR files appear Empty

Post by karlchen »

Hello, th3pr0ph3t.

On Linux Mint 17 Cinnamon launch Synaptic Package Manager and make sure that the following software packages are installed. If one is missing add it:

Code: Select all

$ dpkg --list p7zip*
ii  p7zip                         9.20.1~dfsg.1-4     i386                7z file archiver with high compression ratio
ii  p7zip-full                    9.20.1~dfsg.1-4     i386                7z and 7za file archivers with high compression ratio
ii  p7zip-rar                     9.20.1~ds.1-3       i386                non-free rar module for p7zip
Note: if you are using the 64-bit edition of Mint 17 the column which reads "i386" will read "amd64" instead.

Once all 3 packages (including any suggested dependencies) have been installed, the archive manager (file-roller) should be able to open the RAR file in question. - The problem is that neither Ubuntu, nor Linux Mint install p7zip-full and p7zip-rar by default. Both have to be added by the user.

HTH,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline
th3pr0ph3t

Post by th3pr0ph3t »

Thanks, karichen

The problem is fixed.

I wouldn't have guessed p7zip-rar was the package I needed. All along I thought it was unrar :/
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

th3pr0ph3t wrote:I wouldn't have guessed p7zip-rar was the package I needed. All along I thought it was unrar :/
It's needed here because it's a workaround for this bug in file-roller.
PatH57

Re: [FIXED] RAR files appear Empty

Post by PatH57 »

Thanks,

wasn't aware of this one :D
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Re: [FIXED] RAR files appear Empty

Post by Monsta »

Fix released in file-roller 3.6.3.2.

Return to “Software & Applications”